Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Evo front Brembo's on my RX-7... trying to clear a +50mm offset SSR comp wheel...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2008, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo front Brembo's on my RX-7... trying to clear a +50mm offset SSR comp wheel...

Hey fellas,

I'm currently dropping an LS1 into my 3rd gen RX-7 (FD) and from past experience with the stock 11" 4 piston brakes from my LS1 FC, I could completely toast the brakes in about ~15-20 minutes on the road course... So I need something bigger, but I'm a baller on a budget

One thread I found that was REALLY interesting was adapting EVO Brembo front brakes on the FC and it practically BOLTED ON!

http://www.rx7club.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719567

http://3rotor.org/pictures/album/721...omparison.html

http://3rotor.org/pictures/album/721...7-6-27-08.html

Everything looks like it's going to work, but if you looked at those pics, the rotor's offset is changed A LOT vs. stock.

Here are my calculations thus far:

-Stock FD rotor: from the hat to the face of the rotor- 47mm
-Stock Evo rotor (ESTIMATED): from the hat to the face of the rotor- 10mm (CAN SOMEONE MEASURE THIS?)

47mm - 10mm =

37mm difference

Which will mean the Evo rotor will pull forward 37mm to the spoke of the rim

-SSR Comp wheels- 18x9.5 + 50mm- Closest measurement from touching the caliper- 25mm

25mm - 37mm

-12mm difference

Which will mean I will need 12mm of clearance assuming my rotor-hat assumption is right...

Now the stock Evo wheels are 38mm, which is a 12mm difference than the stock FD wheels, does that mean that's I'll need ~12mm spacer to clear it?

The only thing I didn't factor in was the length of the caliper. I was looking on photoshop and I measured a side-by-side comparison. From the mounting bracket - face on the stock FD one, it's 1.2" (not actual, just from the pic), and the Evo one is 1.3"...

I really don't want to get a lower offset wheel since you need about a +40 - +50 offset to clear 285's up front, without rolling. I understand I'll have to roll my fenders... I also can't do anything larger than a 15mm spacer for aesthetics... here's a couple of shots, you'll see that I'm *almost* flush...

Sorry I can't get anything better, the whole front clip is taken off and it's torn into a million pieces right now...

Also, couldn't I just find a local Evo guy and try to install my SSR wheel and see how much clearance I need? We will effectively both need the same amount of caliper clearance, right? The suspension and fender clearance will be negligible since it's a different body.

Thanks guys!