Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tire wear...help!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2008, 07:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
Tire wear...help!

Hey all,

I just have a question/concern about how my tires are wearing. I have a set of 255/40/17 Direzza star specs, that are really taking a beating on the outer edges of the front tires. I have a bad feeling that they're going to wear down to the cords ALOT faster than the rest of the tire. I daily drive my evo with these tires as well, so I'd like them to last for the rest of the season if possible. I plan on running at least at a couple more events this year.

What can I do to remedy this situation? Or is this just normal? I've added as much camber as I possibly can on my camber plates on the fronts, and after this last event, it still seems like I shredded the edges even worse than previously with less camber?

Are my tires inflated too low possibly? I've played with pressures very little. Last time I ran 38psi cold to start in the front and 34psi in the rear.

Am I just driving too hard and pushing my car through the corners? Or is this just plain normal and I have to deal with the fact that the edges will wear much faster than the middle and inner parts of the tire?

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. I've ran at 4 events now.

What they looked like previously after one event:

Thoughts/hints/ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 5, 2008, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd think that you're pushing through the corners, I've never heard of anybody having that issue before.. Definitely get an alignment to ensure that everything is ligned up properly.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 07:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by TxEvo8
I'd think that you're pushing through the corners, I've never heard of anybody having that issue before.. Definitely get an alignment to ensure that everything is ligned up properly.
I had an alignment before I started autoxing this season. I will admit that the past event I added more camber before the autox , because the edges were wearing pretty bad with very little camber in the front. Would this really hurt the outter edges of the tires though? I know adjusting the camber will change the toe, but I thought by adding additional camber, that it'd help prevent the outter edges from getting worn out quicker than the rest of the tire.

When I add camber, does this increase or decrease toe out?

I may get it realigned here soon with the additional camber I added. This started though well before I added the additional camber at my last event....
Old Aug 5, 2008, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Inner edge is just fine right?
As are the rear tires?

If so, rotate your tires. Then practice on not over driving your front tires, perhaps get your suspension set up so you have a little more oversteer, and a lot less understeer. Does it feel like it has tons of understeer?

That's an easy fix, the harder fix is to train yourself NOT to use the Evo's insane AWD and to start driving it (mostly) like a RWD car. Took a lot of effort for me to get used to not letting the Evo "save" me all the time, but once I got used to that I was a lot faster and my tires were a lot happier
Old Aug 5, 2008, 07:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Asked our tire info supervisor and this is what he said...

"Looks pretty normal. Roll over looks good. Is he doing autocross or track drives?

What is the alignment like?

What tires were on before that wore less with less negative camber?

What size were the other tires?

What width wheel are the tires mounted on?

Depending on what he has done to the suspension, the Evo tends to drive much like a FWD car with a little inherent steady-state understeer."
Old Aug 5, 2008, 08:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
Inner edge is just fine right?
As are the rear tires?

If so, rotate your tires. Then practice on not over driving your front tires, perhaps get your suspension set up so you have a little more oversteer, and a lot less understeer. Does it feel like it has tons of understeer?

That's an easy fix, the harder fix is to train yourself NOT to use the Evo's insane AWD and to start driving it (mostly) like a RWD car. Took a lot of effort for me to get used to not letting the Evo "save" me all the time, but once I got used to that I was a lot faster and my tires were a lot happier
I have rotated the tires one time, and will actually rotate them again before the next event. Whatever tires I put on the front wear much faster on the outter edges, than the rears do. I probably could use some more camber in the rear, but I don't know how to adjust the rear camber. help?

How exactly can I set up my suspension for more oversteer? I only have BC racing coilovers. How should I adjust the stiffness from front to rear?

I do have the tendancy to push into turns too hard. I feel as though I'm getting better at coming softer into the turns, and harder out. That doesn't always happen though!

Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack.
Asked our tire info supervisor and this is what he said...

"Looks pretty normal. Roll over looks good. Is he doing autocross or track drives?

What is the alignment like?

What tires were on before that wore less with less negative camber?

What size were the other tires?

What width wheel are the tires mounted on?

Depending on what he has done to the suspension, the Evo tends to drive much like a FWD car with a little inherent steady-state understeer."
Autocross only

I had a street alignment before autoxing. I never thought I'd be autoxing and should probably get a more agressive alignment for street/autox combined.

I had the same tires on the whole autox season. This is my first season, so I'm still learning and maybe that has something to do with the wear? I initially ran less camber the first 3 events, and I just cranked the camber (in the front) to as much negative camber that I could get, to help reduce the outter edge wear. Not sure if it's helping though!

These 255 width direzza's are mounted on stock wheels (8 inches wide).
Old Aug 5, 2008, 07:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Any other opinions?
Old Aug 10, 2008, 07:25 PM

As I understand you have tire wear pm the outside of the tire, so it just means that your car has a lot of positive toe or in other words it toe-in too much. Just check your alignment and for future references, never play with camber without adjusting the toe.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
to revisit an old thread, on Evos, when you push the camber in (more negative), you make the toe go in. On my X, going from -2 to -3* camber = almost a degree of toe == death to tires.

This does two things... eats the tire and makes you suck and push more on autocross.

You need to get aligned...
Old Oct 3, 2008, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Assuming you are not running any toe, you need:

A) More static neg. camber to spread the load more evenly across the tire
B) More roll resitance to combat camber loss (springs, antiroll bar)
C) Avoid overdriving the car at the track(brake earlier/harder, let the car turn then get back on the gas)
D) Run more tire pressure to avoid rolling over the edge when loaded

Now if your toe is screwed up:

Toe-out will eat the inner portion of the tire and reversely toe-in kills the outside.

Usually too much toe will destroy a bigger portion of the tread and looking at your pictures, it looks like you are just hard on tires(trust me you are not the first)

So, to sum it all up, you are either overdriving, not running enough camber/spring/tire pressure or a combination of the above.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 06:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by madmax199
Assuming you are not running any toe, you need:

C) Avoid overdriving the car at the track(brake earlier/harder, let the car turn then get back on the gas)

Now if your toe is screwed up:

Toe-out will eat the inner portion of the tire and reversely toe-in kills the outside.

Usually too much toe will destroy a bigger portion of the tread and looking at your pictures, it looks like you are just hard on tires(trust me you are not the first)

So, to sum it all up, you are either overdriving, not running enough camber/spring/tire pressure or a combination of the above.
Thanks for the info...

To be honest, when I was aligned, it was only for -1 degree in the front. When I went to the autox the first couple events, I noticed the outer edge was getting shredded.

The next few events I'd just crank the camber plates in the front to make it max negative camber. Then I'd switch it back for daily driving. I think I was pretty hard on the tires at first because I was learning the limits of the car.

I have one more event left, which should do these tires in. I'm going to focus on getting an aggressive street alignment next spring along with antisways as well as a roll correction kit.

I'm also thinking about getting a better set of tires. Can anyone comment on the Toyo R888's? They don't seem to be uber-expensive. I think it may be a good step up from the star specs. Any opinions?
Old Oct 3, 2008, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by madmax199
Yeah, madmax nailed every point.

I have these exact same tires and I've had the exact same thing happen - but only on the front tires as well. The primary reason that is happening in the front is because of all the extra weight of the engine on the front tires. The rear tires don't have as much weight pushing over on them so they won't roll over as much.

Part of that shoulder wear is normal - especially if you autocross of a very rough asphalt or concrete surface. It will roll over and, as it slides, the surface will take little bites out of the edge of the tire. At the same time, you will also notice a lack of turning grip and you'll understeer (push out) like crazy. I've done that plenty. Once you find that point, back it off. You're overdriving the car.

I'm no expert but I've figured a few things out autocrossing in this car (only had it about 6 months now).

Notice the tiny triangle arrow there in the picture at the edge of the tread? Your wear should not go beyond that. If it does, you need to make adjustments. If your camber is already maxed and your suspension is already stiffened up, then add more air to the tire to make it harder. I found that, on my setup, it takes about 42 pounds in the front to keep the wear right at the edge of the arrow. The rears, I can let down to about 35 and they go just to the edge of the tread so I'm good there.

There is a trade off though. More air will make the tire roll less but will also give you less grip. I've been there and done that. So if you pump up the front too hard, it'll feel very loose. But under inflate and the steering will feel floppy.

Finally, even with all the above it is still possible to over push the tires. Since you have ABS, just before you get to the turn, stand on that brake pedal for all it's worth then let off right before you make the turn. Then accelerate through and add more power and as you straighten out for the exit - power out full through the exit.

As they say -- slow in, fast out.