Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

DIY Adjustable Front Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2008, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went out a little more with both bars at full stiffness. I'm finding that corner entry and mid corner feel good, but on exit, my inner rear wheel is still hanging in the air, not putting any power down on tight corners, causing understeer. I know this because, the engine revs, but I'm not getting front wheel spin. I don't feel it through the steering wheel like I would with my previous settings. Before, it was clear that the understeer was coming from lack of front grip/wheel spin.

I was able to put the power down VERY wheel around on specific corner, but only that one. Under WOT the car stepped out into a very slight controllable oversteer.

Next, I'm going to try the front bar at the stock location with the rear bar at middle. I'm hoping I don't have similar results as my current setting (front full stiff, rear full stiff). Bascially, I'll be moving both bars down a notch, in hopes to keep all four wheels on the ground, but keeping the same turn-in/mid corner feel.

So far: Full stiff at front and medium at the rear results in slight mid corner understeer with slightly, but annoying corner exit understeer. I can still purposley throw the car into and oversteer at will, but that's not the point. Full stiff at both front and rear results in good corner entry, due to loss of traction at the rear. Same with mid corner. But corner exit, there is still too much wheel lift to put the power down. So I can either have slightly understeer overall OR great turn in, and terrible understeer out. I'd like a happy medium. Neutral throughout the corner. That what's I'm aiming for. I'll probably end up putting the rear bar on the middle hole and start playing with the front. I may also try removing same camber from the rear. I already have the front camber at max. From what I remember I have my toe all set to 0 and my camber is about -1.5 front and -1.3 rear. I have the front camber bolts at the -2 setting and that's all I'm getting out of it.

Oh well. I'm having fun! Wasting alot of gas, but having fun doing it! I'd think however, the ultimate set-up will be front bar full stiff or stock, which ever is best and the rear bar at the middle hole with the TRE rear differential. The TRE diff will be on next springs list The front diff is out of the question for right now. Maybe in the future.

Last edited by MitsuJDM; Oct 19, 2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 01:02 PM
RT
Evolving Member

Sorry lad but its just not goin' happen, that is, keep all four wheels planted with just these bar adjustments. The cat that did the original how to is a good guy, a bud of mine, but this idea never kept the inside rear wheel down, never.

Old Oct 19, 2008, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Well, to be honest, even with 100% stock sway bars, I've been TOLD I've lifted me rear inner wheel around certain corners, but I've never felt it myself. With the rear bar at full stiff, I can clearly tell the inner rear wheel is off the ground.

Did your friend have a rear sway bar too, or drill holes in the stocker? Or just the front?
Old Oct 19, 2008, 03:12 PM
RT
Evolving Member

Lifting the inside rear is just the nature of the beast, if we were racing on dirt this wouldn't be an issue. No, my bud did the same thing everyone else did at the time, in his case, added a WORKS rear sway bar and set it up on the stiffest setting, got worse. But, that was our first indication that an uber stiff rear sway bar was maybe not the best way to go too, so we did learn something from it.

Old Oct 19, 2008, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I have some more playing around to do. I'll defiantly be reporting back with more results. The front sway bar mod is great for turn-in, but I'm not sure it's helping mid corner. We'll see. I have to play with tire pressures too.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

I set the rear back to medium and adjusted the tire pressures to 36/36. Now I've heard it both ways for tire pressure raise the front to limit understeer, and I've also heard raise the front to limit oversteer. Which is correct? I found this chart a few years ago.
http://rogerkrausracing.com/TechSheets/overunder.shtml

Anyway, I went out and again, on that SAME corner, I had awesome WOT controllable oversteer on corner exit. On just that one corner though. Any other corner was pretty good on corner exit, because I wasn't going sudden WOT, but rather rolling into the throttle. Makes for slightly smoother corner exit. I was trying to be smoother in general.

I didn't get to drive as hard as I had liked to due to random road work (they were trimming tree branches back), but if I can play with tire pressures a bit more and know exactly what to do with them, I think I'll be pretty happy with the set up and slightly change my driving habits to roll onto the throttle. Once I'd start to unwind the wheel before, I'd slam down to WOT. I don't think that's the best idea, depending on the situation. It just lights up the front tires on tight corners.

So a little more toying with tire pressures, TRE rear diff, Bilstein HD's, WhiteLine Roll-Center Kit, WORKS bushings all around, new alignment and I think I'll be good for a mainly street driven Evo I've heard having a WhiteLine Roll-Center Kit isn't really necessary for Swift Springs. True?

Last edited by MitsuJDM; Oct 20, 2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 02:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MitsuJDM
I've heard having a WhiteLine Roll-Center Kit isn't really necessary for Swift Springs. True?
Still helps quite a bit. You've got a decent sized drop up front so this will help.

- Andrew
Old Oct 20, 2008, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
Still helps quite a bit. You've got a decent sized drop up front so this will help.

- Andrew
Awesome, thank you. You're always so much help I wish you guys didn't just accept Paypal. It would make it easier for me to order!
Old Oct 20, 2008, 07:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
We take CC too!
Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Guys, the Berrymobile FP VIII with all it's goodies was lifting the inside rear Sunday. I don't think a 7% increase sway bar is going to do the trick
Old Oct 22, 2008, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm passing on the stock FSB mod. In all honesty I think its a poor attempt fix something that can't be fixed with bars alone.

I have my Perrin RSB set on full stiff. I love the flat feeling it provides making the car alot more manageable. Sure I'm fighting inside rear wheel lift. On tighter tracks I'm tripoding all over the place. Having one wheel in the air definitely affects my corner exist speed. My transfer case and rear diff probably hate me as well. But that is the price I'm willing pay for comfort.

The problem is soft spring rates. I never had this problem when I was running 10k/12k springs. I went to softer suspension because I couldn't tolerate a 4hr road trip on those coil overs. It was just too stressful. Fun to give a chick with big hoots a ride though because they would jiggle at the lightest surface change!

If you haven't done so already, I would suggest adding more front grip with the Whiteline roll center kit and more aggressive camber. Also note that the type of tire your run affects everything. My car can throttle oversteer the stock 235 advans without much trouble. Car will easily rotate with aggressive throttle. But when I go to a 255 R-compound the rear is hard as hell to break loose. In fact I probably have reserve rear grip when compared to the front. I would love to have the TRE rear diff service performed but with only 13k on my car I don't really feel like doing any kind of rip and replace.

Lastly.... I used to have an 03 and I installed the JDM ralliart front LSD in xfer case. It was perhaps the biggest positive change I made to that car. Night and day difference.

Last edited by Jeff_Jeske; Oct 22, 2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

I would love to add more front camber, but I can't without camber plates. Maybe something I'm willing to do when I get my Bilstien HD's.

The DIY mod defiantly increase turn-in, and does keep the car flatter, but it's not a hugley DRASTIC differance. But it does feel nicer.

And you're right about the tires. I used to be able to make a left from a stop sign and midde corner flick the car at WOT into a pretty badass throttle slide. Can't do it with the Z1's. I love the Z1's though. MEGA mega grip! I'm hoping to aid my slight understeer issue with the TRE rear diff next spring. I LOVE throttle steer I used to like steering with the brakes, but that's not as fun anymore.

I do think some of my issue maybe me being a little over zealous. I'm so anxious to go WOT!!! Haha. I'm willing to deal with a bit more understeer on exit for increased turn-in and flatter mid corner.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

I did this mod and damn was it a ***** to drill. The car isn't finished yet so can't give you any other feedback.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
take some weight out of the back. I don't know how much it will help keep the rear wheel planted, but it will help reduce your understeer.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

I'm still messing around with this, decideing if I want to put the front back to stock. But, I'm not sure if this is the reason for my understeer. I think it's my driving. I'm driving more aggressively now, and I shouldn't be. I do love the increased turn-in and flatter cornering. Especially if you're smooth with steering inputs, it helps the car stay much flatter. With stock bars, ever with smoother inputs, it still rolled like a mother. Overall right now, I still basically have the same balance with less roll. Exactly what I was looking for. Still have that corner exit problem though. The mid corner understeer should be able to be fixed with a few mods and/or better driving.

My issue right now is, it's starting to get cold out. I don't have the grip I did a few weeks ago. I may need to buy and install some suspension parts over the winter and then do some more testing in spring. Hoping to be up to about 360whp too! Next summer should be FUN!

Last edited by MitsuJDM; Oct 27, 2008 at 12:43 PM.