Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Continental ContiSportContact 3???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2008, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Continental ContiSportContact 3???

My stock Advans have made it nearly 25K miles, but the inside tread block is so worn, I think they are going to start showing cords soon. Sounds like a decent amount of life from what I've been reading.

Is it typical for a stock Evo to have so much wear on the inside of the tire?

My Evo is a daily driver, but I really don't want to sacrifice the responsiveness I've come to enjoy with this car on the Advans. But, of course, I'd really rather not spend $1000+ on replacement tires.

Anybody have experience with ContiSportContact 3's??? I know they are OE on the Audi RS4, and the older generation ContSport 2's were OE on M3's, MB AMG vehicles, etc.

I'm sure they will be quieter, last longer, and probably have a nicer ride, but I'm more concerned with the dynamic performance.

Any input would be appreciated!!
Old Aug 6, 2008, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I would get it aligned. Evos are known for having crappy factory alignments. But yes, the insdies will wear faster due to camber and toe settings. Zeroing out the toe all around will help with that wear.

Something that has grip like stock? The tires we use are Dunlop Z1s, Bridgestone REO1Rs, and Hanook RS2s.

You are probably right about lasting longer, riding quiter, etc. But I will bet they wont handle like the A046 or tires I listed above.

PS - mievo.net is the local Evo club. (I am from MI)

There is a Belle Tire on Gratiot and 10mi. Ask for Matt Hickmott. He has done a lot of the Evos. He is good and takes the time to get the car setup right.

I used VR Peformance since my car is lowered and the aero is hard to work around.
43677 Utica Road
Sterling Heights, MI 48314

586-991-2455

eric@vrperformance.com
www.vrperformance.com

Last edited by Smike; Aug 6, 2008 at 07:52 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 09:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not a bad tire, but nothing special either. For something similar the Dunlop Z1's have been the hot ticket. Hard to get right now so I'd look at the RE-01R as an immediate choice.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

I did a fair amount of searching, and I know the Dunlop Z1 Star Specs and the Bridgestone RE-01R/s are the hot ticket.

As a Continental employee, I can get the Conti SC3's for $115 with out discount, which is why I was asking. I agree for the ~$175 normal price there are probably better options for the $$$.

I know the Bridgestones are ~$200, and the Dunlops are on backorder.............any idea when you'll have the Star Spec Z1 Dunlops back in stock?
Old Aug 6, 2008, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mid sept.