Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Continental Extreme Contact

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2003, 02:08 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the extra sidewall you'll probably rub on the splash guards. I doubt it's so much a question of fitment as it is a rubbing or touching issue. ...That just sounds dirty, but you know what I mean.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Neal@tirerack.
The 235/50-17 is a full inch larger in diameter than the stock tire. This might cause some fitment issues with the current EVO. We have found that it is best to use the stock 235/45-17
Neal,

My question should have been more specific.

I was thinking of the 215/50-17 vs. the 235/45-17. There seems to be only a .1" difference in overall diameter. There is a .4" difference in section width.

I am really interested in switching to these tires. I am just curious about the size to go with. I thought the little bit smaller tire sould be better in the snow and have a little more sidewall--read softer ride.

What would I gain/give up in the two different sizes?

Is there anything special to order these and give you credit for the order or do I just use the web site?

The price is $110. Were these tires $79 a couple of months back?

TIA,

James
Old Aug 27, 2003, 09:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You are correct, the narrower tire would cut through the snow better. The recommended tire pressure is 32/29 on the EVO. In order to run the 215/50-17, you would need to inflate the tires to 35 psi all around to have the proper load carrying capacity.

The other issue is the width of the tire. The 215 will only fit wheels 6.00 to 7.50". The stock EVO wheel is 8" wide which will not accomidate this tire size.

For the change in tire pressure and need for a wheel that would work with the 215's and the EVO at the same time, (good luck!) it wouldn't be worth it. The little you lose using the stock size will be gained back with your AWD and a great dedicated winter tire.

If ordering on the site, there is a spot that asks you if a sales rep gave you assistance with your order. You can then insert my name, if desired, and the order will go to me. Credit aside, its nice to have a rep watch over your order when purchasing online to ensure a smooth transaction.

Last edited by Neal@tirerack; Aug 27, 2003 at 10:00 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 11:05 AM

I agree with Neal's comment, 'its nice to have a rep watch over your order when purchasing online to ensure a smooth transaction'. Somehow I ordered a 16 inch tire and did not realize it until I got the confirmation email. Neal came to the rescue and the problem was fixed. Again thanks for the good service and advice.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 11:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Anytime!
Old Aug 27, 2003, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Neal,

Any special pricing on these tires for our fellow Evo owner? Thx.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 11:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Unfortunately, I cannot give an EVO discount. Even if I sell a large quantity to an individual over the phone no discounts apply. We always try to put our best price out there initially so there is no haggling. Many times we come out better, sometimes we dont. It all depends on the product. Sorry guys/gals, its just not my decision.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

Neal--
Thanks for the help on my tire size question. You cleared it up for me. I will just be ordering the stock size and I will put you down as the sales rep.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 02:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks man If you have any questions regarding your order, feel free to contact me any time.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by Neal@tirerack.
You are correct, the narrower tire would cut through the snow better. The recommended tire pressure is 32/29 on the EVO. In order to run the 215/50-17, you would need to inflate the tires to 35 psi all around to have the proper load carrying capacity.

I was just cruising evolutionm.net looking for reviews on ContiExtremeContact tires when I came across this post. I don't recommend that you run the same tire pressure on all four tires on your Evo 8s. The car has a 60f/40r weight distribution, and running the same tire pressure will result in a different rolling circumference for the front and rear tires which will will cause your LSD to be working all the time and generate unnecessary heat.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 09:05 AM
Former Sponsor

My original post was there to show what would have to be done in order to run that size. I would say what you mentioned is true. There is a slight difference in the deflection and overall diameter of the tires when inflated at different pressures. There is a lower pressure for the rear to make that size work, however, I didnt research that far into it. This is just another reason why running that size isn't the best thing to do.

Thanks for the heads up
Old Jan 16, 2004, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

on the reviews i've seen Pirelli PZero Nero M&S slightly edges out the Continental ContiExtremeContact. on a second review i saw that Sumitomo HTR+ did slightly better then the Pirelli's... so my conclusion? slightly better tires which cost $89 per compared to continental $111 and pirelli $127? its an obvious choice.... hmmm dont get why i dont hear any raves about the sumitomos.... by the way all the reviews are in tirerack.com
Old Jan 16, 2004, 11:48 AM

I don't have an Evo, but I do have the HTR+ tires. (225/45-17). I've got about 10K miles on them. Compared to the Dunlop SP Sport 5000's that were on previously, the HTR+ tires howl terribly on all but the smoothest pavement. The wheel alignment is perfect and tire pressures that are around 37f/32r. They grip well on dry pavement and on the snow, although I'm sure that as with any UHPAS tire, the dry traction is not as good as with a UHP tire.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
tire ratings so far?

Any Evo X owners with continental ExtremeContacts?? Everything I've read and heard is these tires ride so much better than stock and last long. Anything to add?? I'm look at 245/40/18's stock.

Thanks,

B
Old Jan 17, 2010, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bluepeartype-s
Any Evo X owners with continental ExtremeContacts?? Everything I've read and heard is these tires ride so much better than stock and last long. Anything to add?? I'm look at 245/40/18's stock.

Thanks,

B
Nice, another 7 year old thread.

Quick Reply: Continental Extreme Contact