Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

winter setup options

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2003, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question winter setup options

I figure there are two options for a winter setup:
1)a new set of rims and tires for winter only
2)use stock rims as winter rims and mount with winter tires

I'm stuck in between these two options, and keeping in mind that I would like to eventually (next spring/summer) get a set of 18 inch volks. I would easily put winter tires on the stockers, but there is no way the stock tires will be worn out by the time winter comes around, since I've only had the evo for two weeks now. So I was thinking of getting new winter rims and tires and when the Advans go bad in the spring then sell the enkies and get volks OR use stock rims in winter setup (will have advans left over ) and then used saved money from not getting new winter rims and get volks in the spring. Grrr I dunno what to do . thanks in advance
Old Aug 25, 2003, 10:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am sure there are some EVO owners out there that would buy your Advans even with some miles on them. You could use them for local auto x too. Regardless, a winter tire and wheel pack is the best way to go. You will not get the winter traction you are looking for w/out using a dedicated winter tire. The majority of people will mount snows to the stock wheels then purchase a set of summer tires and wheels. This still leaves you with the Advans, but its better than running an all season tire or buying another set of wheels just for the Advans....
Old Aug 26, 2003, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Neal:

Neal,
I know this has been covered in too many posts, but, well, it's been covered in too many posts.

I'm in for snows this winter (Cincinnati--worked well for my late VR4). The choice is snows on the stock wheels and upgrade in Spring, or snows on something steel or cheap (or both) and stock in the Spring.

Advice, please. And two cents on what to replace the stock tires with. I'm happy with them, so would just replace them unless there's something better. Driving is mostly "spirited street" and will do a little autocross this Fall.

I'm impressed with the Tire Rack fund of knowledge and you're obviously steeped in Evo lore.

Thanks,
Doug
Old Aug 27, 2003, 10:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Keeping your stock wheels and putting snows on them would be the least expensive option, especially if you plan on an upgrade in the spring. However, if you are just going to swap the tires from one season to the next, you might want to purcahase another set of winter or summer wheels. Reason being you will subject your stock wheels and Yoko's to damage by mounting and dismounting every season. There is also the cost involved in doing that.

The stock tire is an excellent one to have. If you are looking primarly for dry grip and steering response, then I would stick with it. If you prefer a bit more creature comforts and wear, look at tires in the max performance or ultra high performance class. Tires like the Bridgestone S-03, RE750, Michelin Pilot Sport, Firestone SZ50 EP etc are all awesome tires to use. It really comes down to what you are looking for in a tire. You can see all the tires offered in the stock size at the following link:

235/45-17

Last edited by Neal@tirerack; Aug 27, 2003 at 10:39 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

I'm personally set on the idea of winter tires mounted on new rims.

I'm not f'n around this winter with a 30k car.

One fender bender alone...and their goes my deductable which I could of used towards the rims.

Neal...will there be more of a selection of rim's coming soon?
Old Aug 27, 2003, 11:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by spyderturbo

One fender bender alone...and their goes my deductable which I could of used towards the rims.

Very good point. Currently whats listed on the site is what we have to fit. The HT-3 is the least expensive of the group. This is what the majority of EVO customers have purchased from me so far. Its still fairly attractive (how flashy do you need to be in winter hehe) and works very well with the EVO. I dont see any other wheels being introduced before the snow falls.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

Neal,
So (to follow-up your follow-up):

Your reco for snows using stock wheels?
Your reco for upgraded wheels (come Spring?)

And, for replacing the Adans: I like them and find them OK in the wet, but not great. Anything that's just better for handling, dry AND wet (yes, we all want everything!). I don't mind noise, but I do mind having the tire pulled by irregularities in the road. My VR4 drove me crazy until I realized it was the tires.

Thanks,
Doug
Old Aug 27, 2003, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Has anyone ever bought Sumitomo tires? It's listed as the cheapest all season tires for our stock EVO rims. I plan on using my stock rims with all seasons and get 18's next year. Obviously, if the tires are crap, then I'll pay more for premium quality.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 12:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Stock wheels with snows- Best tire for the worst conditions is the Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50. Great harsher snow and ice tire (use them myself on the 32 one way commute here). If you stick to more urban areas I would look at the Blizzak LM-22 or Michelin Pilot Alpin. These are a bit less aggressive but higher speed rated and directional to give better handling in plowed environments.

Summer wheels - All depends on what falls into your budget, personal taste, and size. If you want the best quality wheels (for what I carry) look at SSR and OZ. These are among the top of the top in wheel manufactures. Match those with something like the Bridgestone RE750 or Yokohama ES100 tire and you would have a great combo. Tires in the ultra high performance class tend to be more pratical for everyday use. You can find a lot of "bangs for your buck" there as well.

Old Aug 27, 2003, 01:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Sumitomo makes really nice tires. I would compare their performance to Yokohama and Kumho.

I presume you are speaking of the HTR+, which is a great performance all season tire for the price. W speed rated, I have sold them for anything from Mustangs to BMW's. A large majority of people really like them. If that tire falls more into your budget, its a great one to go with!