Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

EBC Yellow's are terrible

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2008, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EBC Yellow's are terrible

First off, my experience:

I've owned three EVO's, a 2003, a 2005 MR, and now a 2006 MR. Drove them all spirited. Drove them all on the track.

Have used multitudes of pads: Stock, Carbotech Bobcat, Carbotech Panther, Ferodo DS 2500, Ferodo DS 3000, HAWK HP +.

At a recent track event, while using my DS 2500's, a guy in the garage next to me had a lotus elise, and was using EBC Yellows (supposedly a new formulation, tried EBC Green's a long time ago in 2003-2004 on a Honda I owned, and wasn't really impressed). He was obviously a track junkie, and was sold on the EBC Yellow's. Since My 2500's were getting old in the tooth, and I was in the market for a replacement, I decided to try them after doing some research on the EBC website. The Yellow is supposedly a new formulation than it used to be, it's now their "high performance street/autocross/track pad". It used to be just a mid grade pad between the green and red.

My experience with these pads across the board - bad.

Difficult to bed properly (could have killed me on lap 2 with unannounced fade)
Initial bite was good, but faded regularly and frequently.
Didn't stand up well to heat, all the yellow "burnt off" and made for interesting debris, and the pad itself "crumbles" off at the edges when subjected to track stresses, and the extra antisqual backing doesn't adhere to the pad after being cooked.
Wear was very fast compared to other high performance pads. Lasted only two track events.

Decided to use them on the street, so I wouldn't throw my money away.

They stink for that too. Too noisy, and don't even stop as well as the stock brakes after being used as a track pad (given, maybe something is wrong with the pad now that I've "cooked" it, but they ought to work okay, every other pad has).

Highly recommend you stay away from this pad if you're going to try to use it the way that I did. Other pads are better, although more expensive.

Shawn
Old Aug 25, 2008, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for sharing. Hopefully you saved someone a few bucks!

I like the 2500's for a combination pad, great for the street, but a little weak for track use.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Just as a side note, and nothing against you here. The only pure track pads would be the DS3000s in your list. The rest are street only pads. One of the most important areas to look at is temp rating. A track pad usually does not have an ambient lower temp rating but they will have a very high final range.

It sucks, can add an extra 30 mins to track prep, but getting a set of deticated track only pads is the best/safest way to go. I.e. Hawk HT or DTC series, PF97s, etc.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 05:29 AM
Evolving Member

Very much disagree on the only track pads being the Ferodo's. Carbotech Panther (old compound, which is what I used) were certainly track only pads.

I agree that track pads are the way to go. Just finished off a set of Ferodo DS3000's at VIR. Great pad, by the way, but didn't last very long. Superior braking, though. My next set will probably be Performance Friction PF 97's, but I severely need a set of brake ducts to cool rotors/calipers.

With the EVO, I can't even say it takes 30min to change the pads. If you don't already have the wheels off, okay, 30min, but if you're already changing the tires, adds very little time.

No offense taken, but EBC has advertised the yellow as a "track/street" pad, and I don't think it does a very good job at either.

Shawn