Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Evo IX MR suspension improvement

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2008, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IX MR suspension improvement

can anybody here recomend , some suspension mods to improve handeling, understeer, but not loose complete comfort
Old Aug 27, 2008, 01:29 AM

coilovers with adustable front top mounts. comfortable ones that I know of and have driven are bilstein pss9 and ohlins DFV.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
You dont "NEED" coilovers.

Swift MR Springs, Swift front and rear sway bars, and you are set.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=343046
Old Aug 28, 2008, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm using GTWorx springs with Whiteline front and rear sways and Cusco camber plates on the front. I love the setup.

The GTWorx springs are slightly progressive so they are about the same as stock .. maybe a little softer over rough terrain. But, they are stiffer after the progressive rate is gone. Pair that with the sways and you have a great riding street car that can seriously carve some corners if you ask it to. Also, since the sways don't affect the two wheel bump rate, things like bridge expansion joints are barely felt when you cross over them.

I wrote something up on it ... https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=352514
Old Aug 28, 2008, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

I just put my Ohlins DFV's on. I was really impressed with the quality of the parts and how well they rode and handled. I feel that the ride comfort is better now than before by a large margin.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Probably one of the most overlooked options for this department in my mind is running wheels with a reverse stagger to them. I run 17x10 with +23mm offset up front and +33 offset in the rear. That alone cause my car to be very neutral in the corners and the wider stance allows for better handling. On a budget you could just run spacers in the front to get the same effects. Not sure what route you want to go, but it's worth looking into.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In all honesty I think the stock suspension is very good. What is not very good is the stock alignment. If you haven't had a performance alignment do that first.

For what its worth, I've seen countless EVO owners simply put R-compounds on the stock wheels and run better than 99% of the modded EVOs.

I chose to go with RobiSpec springs and Perrin Rear Sway Bar. This setup seems to work very well but is still a bit soft for wider R-compound tires.

Word on the street is the Whiteline roll center kit really tightens up the front and drastically improves performance during compression.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
In all honesty I think the stock suspension is very good. What is not very good is the stock alignment. If you haven't had a performance alignment do that first.

For what its worth, I've seen countless EVO owners simply put R-compounds on the stock wheels and run better than 99% of the modded EVOs.

I chose to go with RobiSpec springs and Perrin Rear Sway Bar. This setup seems to work very well but is still a bit soft for wider R-compound tires.

Word on the street is the Whiteline roll center kit really tightens up the front and drastically improves performance during compression.
thanks for the feedback bro, what alignment settings, would u recommend for a stock evo( toe, camber etc)?
Old Aug 29, 2008, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The most I can get with MR Blisteins and RobiSpec springs is -2.2* front and -1.6* rear. Zero toe all the way around. Feels good both on street tires and race tires though the springs are a bit soft for 255 R compounds.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 11:09 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am currently running the MR billsteins with swift springs and tein camber plates. I am running a pretty agressive alignment but am less then satisfied. Maybe it is the fact that i have the SSL, or that the bellsteins are on their way our, or that i am a fat ***, i dunno, I'm not a doctor. What i do know is i am going to get the whiteline bushings kit here and look into new springs. I have a set of replacement billsteins so hopefully that will help too.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Are you tracking the car ?

If your getting understeer on the street flip the bolts for the alignment first and set a bit of toe out.

The Evo has pretty high pain thresholds for street use, if your driving hard enough to get a full on push and not just a chirp then you may want improve your apexing. Any car can be made to understeer.

If you track it I would consider stage 1 to be:

A good set of springs ( I like GtWorks)
A set of camber plates (with about 2.5 and 1/8th out)

The bars will not negatively effect ride quality and will reduce the roll which can contribute the to the understeer. The bars basically acts like a 3rd spring.

Stage 2

High quality coilovers such as Kw Variants or Ohlins will reduce the dive under braking and cornering without busting your teeth out over the bumps, just make sure get a proper spring rates, drivers opinions will vary on whats to harsh....

By the time you buy the springs 250 + bars 300 + camber plates 250 you are almost 1/2 way to finding some variants.

As one member mentioned changing wheels will have an impact. But if you upgrade your rubber to near r-comp you will begin to notice the body roll more and more with the improved grip.

There is also the potential of getting the TRE rear dif upgrade. By shifting power bias to the rear dif it changes the evo from fwd centric to more of a rwd dynamic. And its inexpensive (300-400 bucks I think). This is what I have read, not experienced. It may also have more impact on the track than the street.

In the end it depends on your budget and your pain thresholds. Getting that alignment, springs and camber plates may be the minimum entrance fee to very much upgraded handling.

Last edited by thatmr2guy; Aug 29, 2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MR Turco
I am currently running the MR billsteins with swift springs and tein camber plates. I am running a pretty agressive alignment but am less then satisfied. Maybe it is the fact that i have the SSL, or that the bellsteins are on their way our, or that i am a fat ***, i dunno, I'm not a doctor. What i do know is i am going to get the whiteline bushings kit here and look into new springs. I have a set of replacement billsteins so hopefully that will help too.
Are you tracking the car Mr Turco ? I have an SSL as well and yeah i know I give up a bit because of the higher cog, we have a similar setup... My next step is for Coil Overs but thats merely because I want to close the gap to the tour guys...

In past cars I have changed out to urethane, and what it does is allow a faster response to your inputs but necessarily a big reduction in roll or understeer. It also adds alot of vibration and squeaks if DD alot. To me its almost insidious vibration because its more of like when the pressure in a room changes. You know its uncomfortable but your not sure why....
Old Aug 29, 2008, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 on what SmikeEvo and TouringBubble said. GTWorx or Swift springs with stock MR shocks and some sways and yer set!
Old Aug 29, 2008, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

I guess I should come clean too Hikaru

My setup:

GtWorks Springs
Whiteline Rear
Cusco Camber plates
Re01r's.

Until I got the camber plates I was unhappy and felt that I was driving an 'inconvenient' line.

I may upgrade the front bar to reduce the roll but this setup works very well.

If he doesnt track or autox the car tho there shouldnt be a big need for this level of mod....
Old Aug 29, 2008, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
thatmr2guy ,

Quick Reply: Evo IX MR suspension improvement