Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Brake Light Randomly On

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2008, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Light Randomly On

Hey guys, I have noticed my Brake light staying on after start up for a couple minutes or so, off and on, for the past week. I made sure the E-Brake lever was completely down and it still stayed on when it occurred this morning.

Do Evo's have brake sensors that say when you need new brakes (didn't think so, friends evo brakes were *****d up and there was no brake light). Or is it something wrong with the wiring harness (moisture/corrosion) like I have been hearing all over the board lately? I only notice it when I first start in the morning, when the engine is cold and the whole car is covered in dew. The weather just started to turn in SoCal and I have just started to get dew all over my car in the morning as well, so I don't know if this moisture is getting into that kickpanel and is messing everything up.

-Will
Old Sep 15, 2008, 08:14 AM

It shouldn't, not unless you're leaving your windows down while it's parked all night. Have you checked your brake fluid levels?
Old Sep 15, 2008, 08:14 AM

Could be wiring but the most simplest thing that can be overlooked is usally there is a sensor in the bottom of the brake fuild cup. If it gets right at the sensor it will cause the light to be on and sometimes off untill it gets past that point. I'd check that first and make sure you have enought fluid.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely check your brake fluid. The light comes on when its low. That also means unless you have a leak your pads and or rotors are done.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

Ok, I looked at that the other day while wiping down my engine bay and I thought it looked fine. I have some DOT4 brake fluid in the garage so I will fill her up when I get home today.

Another thing, I noticed my ACD fluid is way above the full line, but I have only checked the fluid levels while the car is off. Do you check ACD with the car running or off? If you are supposed to check it while the car is off, then I have way too much in and are there any bad side effects from that (I haven't experienced any).

Thanks for the quick help everyone, I will get post back when I top off the brake fluid in a couple hours.

-Will
Old Sep 15, 2008, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rcheung
Definitely check your brake fluid. The light comes on when its low. That also means unless you have a leak your pads and or rotors are done.
So it does say if your pads/rotors are worn? I think I might need to replaced my rear pads because I am needing to really pull the E-Brake up in order for the pads to fully engage, but that could also be the linkage adjustment for the E-Brake. I park in the same spot everyday in my driveway and there hasn't been any fluid on the ground since I have owned the car.

-Will
Old Sep 15, 2008, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Brake fluid
Old Sep 15, 2008, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mautofied.IS300
So it does say if your pads/rotors are worn? I think I might need to replaced my rear pads because I am needing to really pull the E-Brake up in order for the pads to fully engage, but that could also be the linkage adjustment for the E-Brake. I park in the same spot everyday in my driveway and there hasn't been any fluid on the ground since I have owned the car.

-Will
The ebrake I believe is a separate drum and does not have anything to do with the rear calipers.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

I just had this same exact problem. Brake light would come in in the morning, around corners, heavy accel, ect ect. I first checked my brake pads which looked okay, but would probably need replacing sometime in the near future. Brake fluid was right at the low level, so I topped off and havent seen the brake light since. Just be sure to keep an eye on your pads and rotors.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

check ur fluid or it could be faulty e brake switch...