Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Steering wheel shake when I push on the brakes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2003, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wont change My Brembo calipers for Stoptech because I know that Brembo are used in F1 cars. About the rotors are you sure they are not Brembo??? If they are not then I will buy some brembo vented and let the dealer install them for free. I still cant understand that our rotors on the EVOS are not brembos. Anyways, I took the car on small spin today and I noticed that the steering wont shake at all even at 90 miles with hard brakes but over 110 it will shake. Maybe I am so **** about the hole thing.

Thanks
Old Sep 1, 2003, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine shakes at anything over 60MPH, but faster is worse. I'm in the same boat as you, I haven't really abused my brakes and I think it sucks that they would warp like this. I don't understand why this happens. Maybe they're just generally ****ty rotors so some of them just warp really easily?
Old Sep 3, 2003, 03:10 AM
Evolved Member

If it shakes when you brake, then it's the rotors and maybe pads.... but it seems a few people have posted things related to anything over a particular speed shaking (with no mention of braking). That's not brakes, that's the tires either out of balance or worn unevenly. Try rotating them if that's the case and rebalance them if it is.
-N
Old Sep 5, 2003, 10:39 AM

it is possible that the stock rotors do not dissipate heat as well as they could.... however... from our track use of the car with stock brakes, we basically determined that the stock pads are a relatively street oriented pad, hard stops from high speeds (like repeated stops from 150 down to 40 coming off the oval to the infield) cause these pads to overheat...

what actually causes warping is when the pads overheat and teh friction material actually sticks to the rotor itself, usually in uneven clumps... if you look carefully at any rotor that is "warped" you will see faint dark colored patchs... if you measure with a micrometer, you'll find that is the high areas...

sooooo, basically its nothign to do with the calipers, brembo does make awesome brakes, (altho considering the weight of this car, these do border on too small) the pads are at fault.

problem is more agressive pads come with side effects, more rotor wear usually, a LOT more squeeking and noise.

ours has a slight steering wheel shake when braking from 120+, we're probably goin to get around to putting some track pads on it sometime.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by neilscully
If it shakes when you brake, then it's the rotors and maybe pads.... but it seems a few people have posted things related to anything over a particular speed shaking (with no mention of braking). That's not brakes, that's the tires either out of balance or worn unevenly. Try rotating them if that's the case and rebalance them if it is.
-N
To clarify, I mean it shakes under braking over 60mph. It won't shake without the brakes on, even at 140mph. Uh, I mean, 65mph, that's the speed limit. But if I use the brakes at say 40mph I can't feel it shaking. So I assume it's the rotors?

I rotated my tires at 3000 miles, and I did notice some cupping on some of them, so it also seems to be out of alignment...
Old Sep 6, 2003, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Had my rotor resurfaced and brake pads changed at 8K miles. Now I am having the same shaking on braking problem as most of you here do. And believe me I don't pound on the brakes! I am afraid to go back to mitsu and get it fixed cause I know it's just gonna happen again

bobby
Old Sep 6, 2003, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Will I am just ganna wait for three weeks thats when Brembo is going to make the rotors for the EVO but they are going to be very high performance and buy them, then buy softer pads too. Thats the only way???
Old Sep 6, 2003, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

yup, my rotors are ****ed... they ordered me a new set, being replaced under warranty... but i want some Eradi Speed or some Brembos...
Old Sep 6, 2003, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

By the way what we have are Brembo rotors. I made sure my self calling Brembo and talking to the biggest guy I can get on the phone. He was shoked???
Old Sep 7, 2003, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

they ARE Brembo pieces...? then how come they are turning to **** at an alarming rate...?
Old Sep 8, 2003, 04:09 AM
Evolved Member

Will we dont know yet but Brembo themselves were really worried too.
Old Sep 8, 2003, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

How did y'all break-in your brakes? I just basically took it easy for the first 1k miles. But maybe that was the problem? I saw this in another thread:

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm

I guess I'll try that break-in procedure after getting my rotors resurfaced or whatever. But I have to stop a few times leaving the dealer, before I can get on the highway then to somewhere where I can do this procedure.

Also, my brakes started squealing last week when I wasn't even using the brakes. Didn't know what the hell it was at first. It went away when I hit the brake pedal, but came back when I let off. So I did a few hard stops and it cleared up. And now it's not squealing when coming to a stop anymore either. Maybe these brakes just don't like it when you take it easy? Even when I'm driving hard, I don't usually brake hard.
Old Sep 9, 2003, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

One other thing to mention is your alignment. Make sure you have a slight toe-in setup on the front. Under braking with all the force and traction going to the front of the car, 0 toe can make the car a little twitchy, especially if you have more than .8 degrees of camber in the front as well.

smanders
Old Sep 9, 2003, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

IT IS DEFINETLY THE ROTORS. I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM ON MY LANCER. REPLACED THEM WITH POWERSLOT. FOR YOU I DONT KNOW OF A GOOD REPLACEMENT. I CAN TELL YOU THAT WHEN THE ROTORS ARE HOT FROM DRIVING/BRAKING THAT COLD WATER CAN ALSO WARP THE ROTORS AND MAKE THEM CRACK.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

For the last time people.... your rotors are NOT WARPED!!. Please do not believe your dealership when they tell you this. What you all are suffering from is irregular pad to rotor transfer. This has been a problem with the stock brembo pad / Evo rotor combination since the late 90's. Fit some real pads!! The situation can be further improved by upgrading the rotors and fitting air cooling guides for better heat displacement.

Please see the post from Simom7Extreme from the MLR, as he explains the situation quite nicely:
http://www.lancerregister.com/showth...5&pagenumber=3

Last edited by jemm; Sep 10, 2003 at 05:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel shake when I push on the brakes