Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Steering wheel shake when I push on the brakes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2003, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a brembo rotor for comparison :
Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel shake when I push on the brakes-brembo01.jpg  
Old Sep 15, 2003, 03:50 AM

Originally posted by jemm

Please refer to my posts on the previous 2 pages for such. I had a 6 and now drive a 7. Nothing has changed. The problems remain. The Evo 5 has the same problems as well. My current car (jdm 7 gsr) has had the brake shudder for weeks. I will fit some real pads + cooling ducts shortly!

Seems as if its my turn yet again to stir up some controversy. I am aware of the fact that Brembo has responded to questions from some members here about this issue, in which they have come out saying that the whole system is Brembo. I can not speak for the US evo, but there seems to be a great deal of variation in the models that the rest of the world gets. Some people have reported having only rear brembo discs. Some have reported different vane configurations consistent with the previously held belief that the front discs are actually made. No one seems to have a concrete answer. I would greatly appreciate if the US EVo owners could look to see if their discs are stamped with the brembo logo :

Actually that pic is from my Evo 6 rs 2 rear disc and it's stamped with the Brembo logo and in my case the same doesn't happen with the front discs wich seem to be Mitsubishis and not from Brembo as I would expect them to be...

In my case I both a set of Bradi front discs wich seems to be a good combination with a good fast road pad like ferodo DS 2500 or pagids and seems to give no problems to Gr. N rally teams.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 03:56 AM

Please refer to my posts on the previous 2 pages for such. I had a 6 and now drive a 7. Nothing has changed. The problems remain. The Evo 5 has the same problems as well. My current car (jdm 7 gsr) has had the brake shudder for weeks. I will fit some real pads + cooling ducts shortly!

Seems as if its my turn yet again to stir up some controversy. I am aware of the fact that Brembo has responded to questions from some members here about this issue, in which they have come out saying that the whole system is Brembo. I can not speak for the US evo, but there seems to be a great deal of variation in the models that the rest of the world gets. Some people have reported having only rear brembo discs. Some have reported different vane configurations consistent with the previously held belief that the front discs are actually made. No one seems to have a concrete answer. I would greatly appreciate if the US EVo owners could look to see if their discs are stamped with the brembo logo :

Actually that pic is from my Evo 6 rs 2 rear disc and it's stamped with the Brembo logo and in my case the same doesn't happen with the front discs wich seem to be Mitsubishis and not from Brembo as I would expect them to be...

In my case I both a set of Bradi front discs wich seems to be a good combination with a good fast road pad like ferodo DS 2500 or pagids and seems to give no problems to Gr. N rally teams.

Also I made this to improve air colling to the brakes:

http://www.lancerregister.com/showth...734#post258734
Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel shake when I push on the brakes-bradi-disc.jpg  

Last edited by >Evo6-PT<; Sep 15, 2003 at 05:35 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 01:45 PM
In Timeout

I like the air hose you ran. I wonder if I can do that on my evo8? Also what about taking off the splash gards? Also my setup right now is mitsu air guides, motul 600, and carbotech XP pads. I change from stock pad to the XP's for the track. The XP's stop fine but make a **** load of noise. At 1st it was okay but it gets worse . If you want to do track / street on your car there is not good "Street / Track pad" It does both 1/2 assed. It needs to be one or the other. Also the pads are VERY easy to change on this car. After 2 days of track use I had 0 fade and 0 rotor problems
Old Sep 15, 2003, 01:51 PM
In Timeout

RETARD! If you don't know don't say anything! How did you find out they are not brimbos? I CALLED brembo and looked at a set at the dealer and guess what it say on the box??? Brembo. Please before you start BS **** learn what you are talking about. The reason this stuff pisses me off is because I though the first few dumbasses that said they were mitsu rotors I listened too and was going to order the brembos, but the car comes with these. Also get the stoptech and have fun with setting them up. The only "Upgrade" to this car is the brembo INDY calipers. Get ready to spend about 6-10k for them.

Originally posted by 3GPhil
1st comment: MITSU ROTORS SUCK! (Evo does have Brembo Caliper but the rotors are Mitsu OEM) They warp really quickly because they use very poor internal venting to keep the brakes cool. If you've got 4 piston Brembo calipers you shouldn't have to "take it easy" on your brakes, you should always be able to brake at the threshold ALL THE TIME and not worry about warping your rotors. My Baer kit is horribly abused and the rotors have been on my car for over a year now and are still in perfect condition.

Don't even go through Mitsu to get new rotors cause you'll have to do it over and over and over. My stock rotors on my 3G were warped @ 3K miles, @ 10K miles, and again @ 11K miles. Everytime I had the dealer give me new rotors. I would break them in properly and still had problems.

My opinion: drop the Brembo calipers with Mitsu rotors and install a Stoptech BB kit. Its proven to be much more efficient than Brembo 4 piston kits and it costs quite a bit less, around $1700.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 08:59 PM

I would greatly appreciate if the US EVo owners could look to see if their discs are stamped with the brembo logo :
Jemm-Image is of my front (top) and rear (bottom) rotors. Both are stamped brembo. Car was purchased in Ohio

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...ZmQzMXk1NDE%3D

Dan

Was expecting that to actually APPEAR in the post, but clicking on it goes to the image. Also tried the browse button to the image on my pc, nogo. Used to work, wats up?

Last edited by Evo D; Sep 15, 2003 at 09:05 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

EvoD... thanks. Greatly appreciate it. Now if someone could post a pic of the rotor vane pattern, i would really be happy!!

It seems that the US Evo comes with authentic brembos, those logos are nowhere to be found on my rotors!

p.s. WILL A MOD. STICKY THIS THREAD!!
THANKS
Old Sep 17, 2003, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

This is a case of pad transfer from the OEM brake pads. The owner had bad shudder from 90-60mph.

Apparently these small thickness variations set up shock waves in the brake fluid that are amplified by the hydraulic system leading to the pedal pulsing.
Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel shake when I push on the brakes-fkdisks.jpg  
Old Sep 17, 2003, 07:30 PM

This is a case of pad transfer from the OEM brake pads. The owner had bad shudder from 90-60mph.

Apparently these small thickness variations set up shock waves in the brake fluid that are amplified by the hydraulic system leading to the pedal pulsing.
Thats really strange, I have wasted 2 sets of OEM pads (front) and 1 set (rear) and never had similar problem.. I think that its a case of bad combination between that specific rotor and the oem pad.

Maybe after cleaning the discs and pads and some hardcore driving after, they could become ok again..

Bradi Gr N discs are reputed as a good value for money rotor (similar to oem but not made of cheese) and can be a good option combined with pagids or ferodo ds2500 for Fast road action...

Movits or AP are more expensive alternatives...

Remember that (litle things) like removing the dust shields and installing some proper air ducts, can be a big improvement regarding the fade and warp problems..
Old Sep 24, 2003, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

This is a good question. I have the problem now, and do not plan to resurface my rotors prior to fitting the new pads. In theory a good pad should be able to rub the material off. My Evo 6 had this problem and hawks (wrong size though) seemed to cure it. You may have a different experience with another pad.

Here is a reply from Simon7Extreme from the UK MLR, that lends some experience to this Q:
"It horrifies me the amount of ignorance there is at main dealers about this problem. As Dave has implied a significant part of the problem is that the standard pads are not the right compound. This, combined with low quality metal in the disks, allows uneven build up of material on th disks causing judder under braking.
I suffered a bit on my 7 until I changed to Pagid 42's. Although there were occasions that I still got judder, all I needed to do was a few hard brakings from 70+ mph and this cleaned the disks.
In most cases, disk skimming is not needed. However, if the metal on the disks is really poor and porous, you actually get a build up of material within the metal of the disk and this attracts a build up on the surface.
So, if you are using an aggressive pad and still get regular build up, it MIGHT be worth trying a skim. However, if you skim with standard pads, thsi seems to allow material to stick more unevenly! I haven't got any data on that theory, but I have noticed what a high percentage of people report as bad or worse problems after skimming"

http://www.lancerregister.com/showth...5&pagenumber=3
Thanks alot!! I will try some new pads to see if there is any change.

Bobby
Old Sep 24, 2003, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by HwangTKD

Thanks alot!! I will try some new pads to see if there is any change.

Bobby

As long as you don't fit back those ****ty oem brembo pads that come with the car. Use some Carbotech Bobcats or Ferodo ds2500

Call Madmatt @ 1-877-899-5024 for the carbotechs
Old Sep 26, 2003, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Maybe this is why, Mitsu. didn't let us TEST DRIVE the vehicles! lol

billy the grasshoppA!
Old Sep 26, 2003, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

I test drove mine... other than to do that is like marring a virgin... anyway.. I have Brmbo logo rears and who knows what on the front.. three sets of dividers offset... no probs with the brakes have made hard stops from 120 and no shakes or shimy.. hate the stock pads they are the dirtiest I have ever seen.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 05:30 AM
wtz
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Evo D,
Have checked my front rotors and they do not say Brembo anywhere. There are a series of leters and numbers stamped around the hub, but no Brembo. It seems some US cars are not getting the real deal.
Cheers,

Last edited by wtz; Sep 29, 2003 at 02:26 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 02:30 PM
wtz
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by wtz
Hi Evo D,
Have checked my front rotors and they do not say Brembo anywhere. There are a series of leters and numbers stamped around the hub, but no Brembo. It seems some US cars are not getting the real deal.
Cheers,
Disregard this post. Checked the rotors in sunlight and they are indeed Brembos.