Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Hard turn causes knocking/popping/skipping

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2008, 04:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard turn causes knocking/popping/skipping

I have a knocking noise coming from the front of the car when turning. I launched the car at the track on lowered tire pressures and when I got to the end of the track to turn off, I heard a knocking sound and it felt like the wheel skipped. When I straightened the wheel back out, problem seemed to have went away. I have no whining in the tranny or X-fer case. I actually drove the car home and you wouldn’t know it was messed up until I had to turn.

Thought maybe the axles were broken because the band holding the boot was stretched out and grease was slung everywhere. Changed both front axles out last night and took the car around the block. The knocking noise is still there only when I turn, and now the car pulls to the left really bad sometimes. I say sometimes because I let the wheel go once and it stayed straight. Let it go the second time and it pulled pretty hard. Third time, straight.

The knocking only comes when the wheel is turned for a hard right or left. A slight turn of the wheel is fine but if I try to turn around in an intersection for example, I get the loud knocking/popping sound and wheel skipping. Please help. I tried to put as much information in here as I could to help diagnose the problem. Im in need of help from the knowledgeable members of EVOM! Not sure where this thread should be so I put it here because with it pulling it could be the suspension. Mods if you need to move it to a better place, please do so. Thanks.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Check your lugnuts
CV Joint/Axel
Tie Rod Ends
Ball Joints
TC
Old Oct 1, 2008, 04:55 AM
Evolving Member

Axles were changed last night. The whole assembly. Lugnuts? When I took both front wheels off the acutal lugnuts looked ok and the studs were in there good and tight. Unless I'm missing something. If I am, please inform me on what to look for specifically.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

i was hearind a clicking or creaking noise from my front driverside wheel and found out it was my stabilizer bar linkage on the end of the bar was loose
Old Oct 1, 2008, 05:22 AM
Evolving Member

bump for more thoughts.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

Theres gotta be someone who went through this. I can't be the first.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

Grasping at straws here. Trying to get a game plan for when I get out of work. I wanted to get this fixed by this weekend to go to Orlando.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 06:47 AM
Former Sponsor

A simple test is to jack the front end up and spin one front wheel. The other should spin backwards the same. If it doesn't or skips then the front diff is broken. Very common on an 03-04
Old Oct 1, 2008, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the input. That will be another test I do after work.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 08:07 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jshepherd
A simple test is to jack the front end up and spin one front wheel. The other should spin backwards the same. If it doesn't or skips then the front diff is broken. Very common on an 03-04
Chris, i think jshepherd is right, i was thinking front diff th way it sounded when i was there saturday with you, do the test he says and it might lead you in the right path.

i think this is John with Shep transmissions,,, he will be the one i would send the transfer to if there was a problem like that.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

I'm hoping its not something expensive...something I can fix and be able to take it this weekend.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

CHECK YOUR SWAY BAR BUSHINGS!!!!!!!!!!
if its hard to tell they are warn, on the sway bar if its really clean within 1 cm on each side of the bushing they need to be changed
Old Oct 1, 2008, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jshepherd
Ok...let me make sure I get this right...both wheels off the ground and they should be able to spin 360 degrees? If so then I have an answer. Last night car was in neutral, both front wheels off the ground, could not spin the driver or pass side wheel a full turn. Got a 1/4 turn out of it max.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
hey chris i wanna say that when you spun the tire yesterday the pass side turned as well. but i'm not totally certain. might want to check it again.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you have all 4 wheels off the ground?

Quick Reply: Hard turn causes knocking/popping/skipping