Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Goodyear F1 A/Ss or Bridgetone Blizzak WS-60s?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2008, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodyear F1 A/Ss or Bridgetone Blizzak WS-60s?

All right, guys, need your help.

I currently have two sets of Advan A046s and am running a set on the car now. I love these tires, even in the rain. Willing to drive on them in 35 degree and above temps. I'll be taking a cross country road trip in January from Oregon to Virginia and will be returning to Oregon in early March. I'll be taking the most direct route both ways.

I have three sets of Enkeis and could carry a set of Blizzak-wrapped Enkeis in the car and have them at-the-ready. I'd be willing to mount the winter setup on the road. I have the necessary tools to do this rather pain-free. Question is, do this or go with an A/S tire the whole way and not carry a spare set of anything? Or maybe carry a spare set rims with Advans for backup.

I don't want a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none tire. Is there an A/S tire that isn't a complete let-down when compared to the stock Advans? Or should I go with tires that are exceptional performers in particular conditions?

What would you guys do?
Old Oct 22, 2008, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Winter tires do rock in the snow. But if you are not in the snow or are at temps that are relatively warm - winter speaking, they are going to wear/tear.

I have always run A/S tires as my daily driver, non-race, winter tires. Then go back to a race set for events.

How much snow will you be running into? If its mostly warmer/dry - A/S.

I have the Goodyear F1 A/S on my car right now. They are good in terms of A/S, not a summer/race type tire. So don't be expecting that from them. For driving, they do the job well.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

After a little more research, I've decided to go with two different sets of Dunlop tires in the stock 235/45-17 size.

Direzza Z1 Star Specs - like Advans but will tolerate sub-40 degree temps better.

Winter Sport 3Ds - will rest on the back seat until freezing temps/precip enter the picture.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO X Owner-2-B
After a little more research, I've decided to go with two different sets of Dunlop tires in the stock 235/45-17 size.

Direzza Z1 Star Specs - like Advans but will tolerate sub-40 degree temps better.

Winter Sport 3Ds - will rest on the back seat until freezing temps/precip enter the picture.
I agree the Star Specs are as good as the Advans, however, they still should not be used in under 40* weather. The compound will not give you much at those temps. Pushing the car hard could have bad consequences.

You could just change them at the 50* mark. Lean towards safety here.

Last edited by Smike; Oct 23, 2008 at 05:48 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

I'll probably hold off on getting the Z1 Star Specs until my Advans wear out, then. Time will tell. Thanks for being the only person to reply. To all the rest of ya: Come on. Where's the help? Kidding. I'm good. Peace.