Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Life Running 255's on stock rims..

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2008, 07:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
Another picture of the 255's on stock wheels...
Old Oct 28, 2008, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my post

wow, I want to thank you guys for all the pics of your tires, rims, track days all with the 255's, there are some really great photos there, I am jeolous of some people how they live closer to tracks than I do...for me its quite a drive, but wow, you guys have some great pics at the track and all. Thanks everyone for your input on this....

Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Our local car club will drive 8 hours to attend lapping days! Here's a pic of the CWSCC at Gingerman Raceway..... an easy 7 hour drive with all our junk in the car! Yes that is right.... we pack our race rubber, tool box, jack, cooler, overnight bag, and even race gas in the car before our journey!

Old Oct 30, 2008, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

youre on the wrong track lol
Old Oct 31, 2008, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

lots of great pics in this thread.
I'm on 255/40 Z1 rubber on stock BBS MR wheels and have no issues doing HPDE's or AX's either. I didn't notice any difference coming from the stock sized tires.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
No.

This has been covered - a lot.
How about 245x45x17?
Old Nov 1, 2008, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gunhaha
How about 245x45x17?
I run the 245/45/17 sized Z1s. Work great. I like the slightly taller size for AX gearing. On some courses it helps to hold out in 2nd to 8k...just gives me a few extra MPH/RPM to use.

At full lock there is some slight rubbing on the fender well plastic. But my plastic is also torn up a bit from AX/HPDEs. Doesnt effect the car or tire.

Here is an example of holding out in 2nd longer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j78OulCB1uw

At 1:42 to 1:48 (and repeated on my next run) you can hear me rev up to 8k to get the most out of the car.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:35 PM

i run 255/40 azenis 615's.... i didn't notice much of a drop in acceleration with the wider tires but i did notice it gave the car a more direct, and planted feel in the corners ... steering is a little heavier but i don't mind.. no rubbing issues what so ever (with a mild drop ~1.2 in front and ~.8 in rear)

i ran these at the streets of willow and they did very well imo... i was happy to have the extra rubber in the corners....and i also daily drive my evo... the only downside to the wider rubber is like someone mentioned before, they tend to grab at lines and grooves in the pavement and go with em... so you gotta keep a solid hand on that wheel when your on the freeway unless you wanna spill your kool-aid all over yourself and possibly kill/maim the motorist next to you.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03bbyevo
i run 255/40 azenis 615's.... i didn't notice much of a drop in acceleration with the wider tires but i did notice it gave the car a more direct, and planted feel in the corners ... steering is a little heavier but i don't mind.. no rubbing issues what so ever (with a mild drop ~1.2 in front and ~.8 in rear)

i ran these at the streets of willow and they did very well imo... i was happy to have the extra rubber in the corners....and i also daily drive my evo... the only downside to the wider rubber is like someone mentioned before, they tend to grab at lines and grooves in the pavement and go with em... so you gotta keep a solid hand on that wheel when your on the freeway unless you wanna spill your kool-aid all over yourself and possibly kill/maim the motorist next to you.
You are losing HP with the heavier tires on there. Go drag racing - I lost 3 mph in the traps with the wider, heavier, 615s.

I have also track on the 615s. They are ok, the new tire compounds out there outshine the 615s by a mile. AXing - the 615s suck compared to the Z1s.

On the streets, I think anything over 235/45/17 is not needed. I have never felt any more grip over the stock size in street driving.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
You are losing HP with the heavier tires on there. Go drag racing - I lost 3 mph in the traps with the wider, heavier, 615s.

I have also track on the 615s. They are ok, the new tire compounds out there outshine the 615s by a mile. AXing - the 615s suck compared to the Z1s.

On the streets, I think anything over 235/45/17 is not needed. I have never felt any more grip over the stock size in street driving.
i'm sure i am losing a few hp... but it's hardly noticeable. i'm not a drag racer...so it's not a big issue for me... and i'm sure there's better tires out there... the 615's are relatively cheap and plenty capable for what i do with them..

i may look into the z1's when it comes time for some new rubber if they're as great as everyone says they are.... is the wear similar to the 615s or faster? how are they for daily driving..--> road noise and wet traction?

I can't afford to buy track tires and street tires... so i buy 255's and rock them on the street and the track.

sorry for the thread jack btw
Old Nov 1, 2008, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Way better traction, wet traction, and I never hear noise (will that the other noises I have...)

So far they have worn better for me.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

My Post

Thanks everyone for all your replies, its great, and Jeff with that group pic at the track with those 5 Evo's that is sweet!! I don't know about you guys, but I am on my second set of Z1's, the first set were not Star Specs, the New Set is. I got just under 10,000 miles on them before they were shot. I don't drive hard, or launch hard, just love the twisties. My first set was never tracked either. So they do wear fast. What is the average wear you guys are getting out of the Z1's? I just love them, like I said, my second set.....
Old Nov 1, 2008, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

10-15k and/or 6-8 AXs/Track days before they were cycled out.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

this some good pictures and info, its time for me to get new tires for my EVO, and think im gonna go with the 255-40-17, right now have 245-45-17. I really like them, but why not try something new wider, so i can put the power down better.
MIKE
Old Nov 4, 2008, 06:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
My Star Specs lasted me 8-9 Autox events this year (Running 6 times at each event which were about 70-90 second courses) plus daily driving on them about 22 miles each day from early spring til right now. So basically about 8-9 months, with alot of abuse.

I'm down to the wear indicators and now they are finally starting to have alot of road noise. Can't wait for my extra set of wheels/winter tires to get here!

I'll probably go with these tires again next year, unless I step up to some R-Comps...Excellent tires that don't break the bank!

Quick Reply: Life Running 255's on stock rims..