Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Asking For Some Advice......On handling

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2009, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
go to racing school, thats your best investment
Old Mar 5, 2009, 01:10 PM

Nice car! Your right. There is nothing that substitutes track time. Every track that you go to you need time to learn it and then time get the right setup.

This track is so tight for a normal sized car I would guess you would need to stick your nose deep into the turns forcing the inside tire onto the rumble strip and swing your rear end around a bit (creating a little oversteer) just enough to get the car pointed quickly for the next turn. (I noticed in your video there are a few barriers on the inside of the turns that prevent you from doing this which would **** me off!) To show you what I mean take a look at how the WRC guys or Race of Champions do it on the tarmac. They make it all look so beautiful and easy (which, of course, is not).

I have a handheld temp detector which is probably the most valuable tool I use to setup my car with. I always take temperature readings of the outside, middle, and inside of each tire after every run and record them. You always try to get an even temp across the tire which will ensure maximum rubber to the tarmac thus maximum grip and even wear. If the tire is hotter on the inside compared to the outside then you need to decrease negative camber and visa versa. If the middle temp is lower compared to the inside and outside temps you need to increase tire pressure and visa versa.

As far as sway bars just experiment with them. They don't take that long to put on or take off. So just put the front one on and take the car out for a few laps. If the car turns better with them on then Sweet! If not, take them off. Do the same with the rear sway bar. As a rule I follow, the stiffer the front end the more it will bite into the corners. That is, until it is too stiff and then the front will just slide causing understeer. For the rear, the looser it is the more it sticks. For this track you would probably want that rear end to slide out in a verrry controlled manner as not to surprise you and not so sticky that it is difficult to get the car around the tight corners.

Of course this is just the tip of the iceburg on how to go about that track and getting proper setup. I didn't mention spring rates, compression, rebound, caster, ride height which would almost take a book on just talking about those. I cannot tell you exactly what you need just by observing your video nor can anybody else in this forum. Even if I did drive your car on the track I would only know how to set it up for myself which would be different for you. I do believe you can knock 3 seconds off your lap time no problem as long as you take the time learning that track and knowing what your car needs and knowing what to give it. And practice practice practice! Somebody commented on going to racing school. That's always a good thing. I use my PS3 with a Logitech steering wheel a lot and compete online in GT Prologue. This allows me to turn a million laps to get to know every scenario without having to go through expensive tires on my own car. Because of this, it has pushed my driving skills to another level.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by solng-V8; Mar 5, 2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by solng-v8
nice car! Your right. There is nothing that substitutes track time. Every track that you go to you need time to learn it and then time get the right setup.

This track is so tight for a normal sized car i would guess you would need to stick your nose deep into the turns forcing the inside tire onto the rumble strip and swing your rear end around a bit (creating a little oversteer) just enough to get the car pointed quickly for the next turn. (i noticed in your video there are a few barriers on the inside of the turns that prevent you from doing this which would **** me off!) to show you what i mean take a look at how the wrc guys or race of champions do it on the tarmac. They make it all look so beautiful and easy (which, of course, is not).

I have a handheld temp detector which is probably the most valuable tool i use to setup my car with. I always take temperature readings of the outside, middle, and inside of each tire after every run and record them. You always try to get an even temp across the tire which will ensure maximum rubber to the tarmac thus maximum grip and even wear. If the tire is hotter on the inside compared to the outside then you need to decrease negative camber and visa versa. If the middle temp is lower compared to the inside and outside temps you need to increase tire pressure and visa versa.

As far as sway bars just experiment with them. They don't take that long to put on or take off. So just put the front one on and take the car out for a few laps. If the car turns better with them on then sweet! If not, take them off. Do the same with the rear sway bar. As a rule i follow, the stiffer the front end the more it will bite into the corners. That is, until it is too stiff and then the front will just slide causing understeer. For the rear, the looser it is the more it sticks. For this track you would probably want that rear end to slide out in a verrry controlled manner as not to surprise you and not so sticky that it is difficult to get the car around the tight corners.

Of course this is just the tip of the iceburg on how to go about that track and getting proper setup. I didn't mention spring rates, compression, rebound, caster, ride height which would almost take a book on just talking about those. I cannot tell you exactly what you need just by observing your video nor can anybody else in this forum. Even if i did drive your car on the track i would only know how to set it up for myself which would be different for you. I do believe you can knock 3 seconds off your lap time no problem as long as you take the time learning that track and knowing what your car needs and knowing what to give it. And practice practice practice! Somebody commented on going to racing school. That's always a good thing. I use my ps3 with a logitech steering wheel a lot and compete online in gt prologue. This allows me to turn a million laps to get to know every scenario without having to go through expensive tires on my own car. Because of this, it has pushed my driving skills to another level.

Hope this helps!
thank you very much for your time...i was reading this and i finally understand that every driver has his or hers on way of setting the car up. What is the best way for me to become good ....is practice....it always helps...plus a few good gadgets like the gauge you use for temp on the tires..please send me a site to see it and i see that alot of drivers use a gauge that goes on the windield and measures everything from gps...i forget the name buit i am going to buy it..i think it is called prologic 3000..sorry i might be wrong...but this thing tells you fast you go in to the corner and out of the corner and then you can get lap time of this too...it is really helpful...i am going to buiy it soon...and i am thinking of getting ps3 too this is really cheaper then the many sets of tires i am going to burn...thanks for everything i soon start racing season and i will tell you guys how go...
Old Mar 23, 2009, 09:53 PM

Wheel time = best mod!
Old Apr 8, 2009, 03:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by peteformance
thank you very much for your time...i was reading this and i finally understand that every driver has his or hers on way of setting the car up. What is the best way for me to become good ....is practice....it always helps...plus a few good gadgets like the gauge you use for temp on the tires..please send me a site to see it and i see that alot of drivers use a gauge that goes on the windield and measures everything from gps...i forget the name buit i am going to buy it..i think it is called prologic 3000..sorry i might be wrong...but this thing tells you fast you go in to the corner and out of the corner and then you can get lap time of this too...it is really helpful...i am going to buiy it soon...and i am thinking of getting ps3 too this is really cheaper then the many sets of tires i am going to burn...thanks for everything i soon start racing season and i will tell you guys how go...
I went to the track last week and two weeks before with the new XYZ suspension o3 camber front with zero toe and the rear with 2 camber and zero toe...I got one third place in the rain and the other race again in the rain without rain tires i got first place...Plus the new suspension with swaybar only in te rear helped me out alot...the car is a trian on tracks...Thought you guys would like to read this info....thanks for your support...I will keep you in track about my next races...