Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

New Hawk pad compound - check it out

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2008, 06:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Hawk pad compound - check it out

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1634376

I'm testing a set on an STi now - the results are quite good so far.

I'd like to try them on an EVO as well - mostly to see if they remain quiet like they do on the STi.

-Ken
Old Nov 12, 2008, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I asked Hawk engineers months ago about producing this for an Evo. They must have had more inquires since I asked. They stated if people kept asking they would make them.

Post up here findings and impressions.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

I too am curious about these pads. I hope someone tries them at the track to see how they hold up to higher temps.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 07:29 AM
Former Sponsor

I only did a quick bedding in and short drive before Roman had to leave - we'll get some more solid info this weekend.

The bite is definitely good - and they feel great though.

I have no more track time this year - but I can throw a set of R888's on Romans car and see how they do with grip.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

The NASIOC thread makes it sound like these pads are no better suited to track duty than Ferodo DS2500s. Is that your impression too?
Old Nov 12, 2008, 02:39 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 286bhp
The NASIOC thread makes it sound like these pads are no better suited to track duty than Ferodo DS2500s. Is that your impression too?
if so what is the price difference? Ferodo's are pretty expensive so if these are as good at cheaper the prices i see them becoming a pretty commonly used pad.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

This is going to sound a lot like another post I've done on this subject but...

I have a set of these on my Evo and I can vouch for how good they are. I've driven cars with a number of different pads: DTC-60 and 70 and all the major Carbotechs (AX6, XP8, XP10, XP12) and I would say the best approximation to the DTC-30s performance is something like an XP8 with more modulation, or maybe an HP+ on steroids.

They have about the same noise and dust levels as the HP+ do (guessing from other cars I've had with HP+), but have a LOT more initial bite and likely won't fade as easily as the HP+ does on the track. They're also very consistent and easy to modulate, probably the two best characteristics of the DTC pads. I've done a few fast autocross events (as in, being well into 3rd gear) on them and have been REALLY happy with them so far. For autocrossing and running good street tires, I don't think there's a better pad out there.

If you're a reasonably hardcore track guy on R-comps, though, the DTC-60 and 70 will be better options, but then again, they're designed to be. It's also worth mentioning that you can daily drive on the 30s - it's been fine for me and I've had no trouble other than some occasional squeakage, even in the recently colder temps in OH.