Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Question about Rotas?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2009, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question about Rotas?

My car came with rota rims already installed. I recently cracked one of my rota rims during a crash. I have 3 options. One is to see if its repairable, second is to replace it, or third is to sell my 3 good rims and buy a new set.

My question is are Rotas up for the job of track duty? I like my rotas and they are cheap so I dont get upset when i curb check them, but I want to know if I would be better off selling them for some advans or volks. Of course advans and volks are better but they also cost way more. I could use that money on sway bars and suspesnion parts.

What do you guys suggest I do.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think there was a thread or some comments left about rota's and other knock offs that were used during track days that got bent, etc.etc because the build quality wasn't as good as advans, volk, etc.

I will try to find it for you
Old Jan 4, 2009, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I personally would not run Rotas on a track car.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 09:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Advans are CAST rims...NOT Forged which is Way Stonger...Advans Look good, but performance....lol....
Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I personally don't think it's as big a deal as people make it out to be. Yes some people have had legitimate problems with Rotas (ie. not simply blaming the wheel when it was their fault) but the same can be said of any wheel in existence. No matter what, someone has broken it. If you daily drive the car and don't want to have a separate set of rims for just track use, I don't see any reason not to use Rotas. Everyone wishes they could have Volks or Gram Lights or Works on their daily driver but it's not realistic, they cost a fortune and come with all the problems that brings.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Q@EvoPowerMods
Advans are CAST rims...NOT Forged which is Way Stonger...Advans Look good, but performance....lol....
There is a little more too it than that. I would assume you know that. How many race cars and time attack cars run Advans? I know I can name some pretty big cars that run the Advans with no problems. The process they use is much different than your typical wheel. With that said Rota's would not be something I would entirely trust on the track. For one they are heavy and they are a relatively a weak wheel. I have seen more than a fair share of bent rota's, especially with under a 40 series tire.

Last edited by dbsears; Jan 4, 2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Run them if you want but yes they are weaker and cheaper Volks and advans are expensive for a reason and I personally like Enkei for track wheels they are still very strong and light weight but not badly price they are cheaper than advan and volks but you def get the bling bling factor with those
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:07 PM
Evolving Member

If you were in a crash then you probably struck a curb with the wheel or another car impacted it pretty hard. It would be best to just replace the wheel with a brand new one. One wheel is cheap and will be near the cost of a proper repair, also you know it will be safe and guaranteed to be properly weighted/fine to run.

also the weaker wheel compared to advan is a pretty strange comment. both wheels are JWL/VIA certified, both wheels are cast, etc.. I've had friends crack cast Advans and cast Work wheels, that's just how a cast wheel will fail if impacted hard enough. My first set of wheels were Volk Racing CE28's which I bent two after a short period of time. I've since then ran Rota wheels for the last few years without a single issue. I daily drive and track them and they are great wheels. I now run the new Rota DPT's which are only 18 lbs and they have held up extremely well over the same roads with potholes that damaged my Volk wheels.

I guess those 3-4 broken Rota images from severe accidents sway a lot of peoples opinions about these wheels. Those with actual experience with these wheels tend to give great reviews and are very happy with them.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

I guess the only thing that's holding me back from buying Rotas are two things:

1. On their website they never mentioned they are ISO9001/QS9000 or ISO/TS 16949 certified, they seem to say they stride to follow the standards. I'm not an Ops Mgmt person, but I believe there's an official certification for this correct? For a company thats been around since th 1970s and making 50K+ wheels a year, wouldn't the certification be a minimum requirement to gain industry respect and potential very lucrative contracts as an OEM manufacturer?

2. This guy's personal experience https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/5007914-post14.html

Last edited by mdosu; Feb 26, 2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I just read through Rota's website and they are the OEM wheel for some cars in the Philippines only. Also, it says they make 50,000+ wheels per month!

Does Rota sponsor any track cars? Are they run on any big name track cars?
Old Feb 26, 2009, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

^ I read that, but notice they are very abiguous on who they manufactured for and also it implied they only manufactured OEM wheels in their early periods and not now.

I'm not meaning to trash them, but if they're not specific and up front with what they do and don't do, then the consumer has the right to question their quality. Nevertheless, I'm still considering a set of used Rotas for my winter wheels.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I don't think Rota sponsors any race teams. However, I don't see how that matters anyways since people aren't going to buy the top of the line BBS, Enkeis, Volks, Gram Lights, etc. that you find on race cars.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

just buy the rotas. if you have something to prove or just think youre a baller then go right ahead and drop 4 g's on some bling bling volks. ive had my rotas for over a year now with zero problems. dont listen to all the brand name ****** out there, just do whats right for your budget and needs.

P.S. you wil definately feel better about accidentally curbing a $900 set of wheel than a$4000 set. not to mention haters trying to steal your $#!+
Old Feb 26, 2009, 08:59 PM
Former Sponsor

This is a long post but I wanted to address everyone's questions/concerns. There are a lot of rumors online however 99% of the time an actual Rota owner posts a review it's positive. At least that's what I've witnessed on the forums.. There are hundreds and hundreds of Evo's running Rota wheels ranging from P45R's, G-Force's, etc.. without a single issue. Rota wheels pass all JWL/VIA test standards which proves they are strong quality wheels.

Originally Posted by mdosu
I guess the only thing that's holding me back from buying Rotas are two things:

1. On their website they never mentioned they are ISO9001/QS9000 or ISO/TS 16949 certified, they seem to say they stride to follow the standards. I'm not an Ops Mgmt person, but I believe there's an official certification for this correct? For a company thats been around since th 1970s and making 50K+ wheels a year, wouldn't the certification be a minimum requirement to gain industry respect and potential very lucrative contracts as an OEM manufacturer?
PAWI (The company that manufactures Rota wheels) holds the ISO 9001 and QS 9000 certification. Continue to read my below reply regarding their current OEM wheels as this is something you also had a question regarding.
I have seen that guys post on here and also on the Subaru forums and the facts do not add up at all.. After that post alone on EvoM you would think the wheel just broke while driving.. he certainly made it seem that way right? Please review these posts/facts and let me know what you think know

His original post here
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/425607-post1.html
"I believe I swirved to dodge a deer, but I can't totally remember the accident. Anyways, I slid through the ditch, and at some point the passenger side from rim cracked"

"All of this happened very slowly - probably 40-45mph"

Then he mentions this in a later post

"I'm totally fine, I didn't have enough speed to flip/roll the car."

then people start to question his story and what had actually happened and all of the sudden his memory loss is back

"It's called memory loss - it happenes in periods of traumatic stress; look it up dude. Stress like...sliding upside down perhaps"

^^ Sliding upside down? Wait.. I thought you said you didn't have enough speed to flip/roll your car

Also what is funny, after all the bashing he did and how he mentioned publicly on the forum that he would never run a Rota wheel... he PM'ed us on this forum asking about Rota wheels for his new Evo..

Originally Posted by S2kracka
I just read through Rota's website and they are the OEM wheel for some cars in the Philippines only. Also, it says they make 50,000+ wheels per month!

Does Rota sponsor any track cars? Are they run on any big name track cars?
Rota sponsors many race/drift teams in the Philippines. If you go to any major motorsport events in this country you will see tons of Rota wheels on these track cars

Here in the US Rota Wheels are used on a very very well known Time Attack car. The GST Motorsports Impreza is a car we sponsor and they have had amazing success with their car. They have won a ton of AWD Unlimited events with their car and many overall Unlimited class events. Tons of people can vouch for how fast this car is and how competitive it is while running Rota wheels.

Quote from GST Owner/Tuner Mike Warfield

"We have smashed burms, jumped the car and done all things brutal we can and we have never hurt a Rota rim ever.

For sure the best wheel for the $ and strong as hell.

Mike
"

Rota P45R

Rota Torque

^ I read that, but notice they are very abiguous on who they manufactured for and also it implied they only manufactured OEM wheels in their early periods and not now.

I'm not meaning to trash them, but if they're not specific and up front with what they do and don't do, then the consumer has the right to question their quality. Nevertheless, I'm still considering a set of used Rotas for my winter wheels.
Rota has never stopped making OEM wheels Once again I'll back up my posts/claims with actual facts for everyone

On our last visit to the Philippines/Rota we were able to visit the 2008 Philippine Auto Show and had a chance to view a lot of OEM wheels Rota manufactures. The largest car manufacture in the world, Toyota, has Rota make wheels for a couple of their 2009 models as well as a few other car manufactures

Here's the 2009 Toyota Vios with a wheel we call the "Tarmac 2" on the Subaru forums.

Car info on Toyota's site
http://www.toyota.com.ph/cars/new_cars/vios/index.asp

and proof of the wheel being made in the Rota plant

Rota Grid 20" on a 2009 Ford Truck

-Dan
Old Feb 26, 2009, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

ROTAs are heavier than the BBS that come stock with the EVO MR (and can be found cheap) -- my recommendation would be to find 4 nice BBS rims -- super light and super strong....

Quick Reply: Question about Rotas?