Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

anyone ever use a vacuum/pressure bleeder?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2009, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone ever use a vacuum/pressure brake fluid bleeder?

Curious if a vacuum bleeder such as is available from Griot's Garage, which sucks the old brake fluid out from the bleeder valves

versus

a pressure bleeder such as is sold from Bavarian Autosport which forces new fluid from its own reservior into the reservior on the master cylinder, forcing the old fluid out the bleeders.

They both cost in the range of 70-ish dollars.

Any experience with either type? Which is better/easier to use/does a better job?

I live in the middle of nowhere and have to do it by myself so the pedal pump method w/ two people will not happen.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I've used a pressure bleeder - make the job very easy.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the response.

was it a Motiv-Type pressure bleeder? not suction?
Old Jan 9, 2009, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
It was the Motiv - nice product (technically its Otters ).
Old Jan 9, 2009, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

I've used both and currently have one of the Griots suction devices. Both work very well and each has their own peculiar problems.

The biggest problem with the Griots unit is the suction can be too much at times and it will suck air from between the threads of the bleed screw and the caliper body. A dab of grease and some teflon tape on the threads helps. Also make sure the rubber/plastic fitting that goes over the nipple on the bleed screw seals or you'll see bubbles in the tube (not coming from the braking system though). The Griots thing comes with a MC filler device that works for most MC reservoirs.

The pressure bleeders must properly fit your MC reservoir filler so several adapters may be required to work with different vehicles. The pressure bleeders, depending on which one you get, hold more fluid so there is more waste.

If you're changing fluid, plan on pumping/sucking a least a pint per corner past clear (or the new color). So you'll need lots of fluid.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Very helpful response. Thank you.

If you had to spend your own money again, which would it be? Ever use the Motiv pressure bleeder? Aso wondering what you mean by "depending on which you get" wastes more fluid. Are you talking about the size of the reservior?

Also, did you have to repeatedly stop the suction on the Griot's device to refill the MC fill device?
Old Jan 10, 2009, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I used both as well. Started with the vacuum type, Mityvac, cuz I could buy it locally for cheap. It sucked, yet couldn't really suck, haha. It took like 15minutes of pumping the vacuum per brake nipple--what a hand workout. I ended up buying Motive's Power Bleeder and that worked wonders...less than a minute per nipple and you didn't have to worry about making sure the brake fluid reservoir had enough fluid in it. I should have bought the Power Bleeder to begin with.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by VT Mitsu
Also, did you have to repeatedly stop the suction on the Griot's device to refill the MC fill device?
I'm not sure what the MC fill device is on that particular product, but you'll have to stop pumping and refill the brake fluid reservoir a few times.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

The Griots thingie comes with a ~1/2 quart plastic bottle with an extended nipple cap. Fill the bottle and put it upside down into the opening in the MC resevoir. It will gurgle like a Sparklets bottle and keep the MC res filled - until it runs out of fluid, naturally. It's a nice tool and I would buy it again.

If you follow the rule that any fresh brake fluid that has left the original can should never be reused, then whatever amount of fluid you fill a pressure bleeder with must all be used up or tossed. So there can be more waste. That's what I'm referring to.

I have not used a Motive pressure bleeder. A MitiVac would be just painful I'm sure.

I change fluid in each of my cars yearly and immediately before doing any brake caliper work.

Last edited by Q15H; Jan 10, 2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks again for the great responses. seems like it comes down to whether you prefer forcing it through from the MC or sucking it out from the bleeders.

Ever have the Griot's "thingie" :] tip over on you? They relly do make nice stuff.

Also, while we are sort of on the subject, How have you guys dealt with the ABS system? I've seen suggestions on the forum ranging from "the car has to be running while yu are bleeding the brakes" to "bleed everything, go drive the car, make the ABS kick in, go back to your garage and bleed everything again"

Thanks again, guys

Tom
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Ever have the Griot's "thingie" :] tip over on you? They relly do make nice stuff.
No, haven't. Even if it did, nothing would leak out cause the whole liquid container portion is sealed, and probably under vacuum. When you're done sucking, bleed the vacuum out (has a bleed valve) then pull out the tube connector (seals with an o-ring) and pour the collected fluids out and rinse out the container. Just like pie.

How have you guys dealt with the ABS system? I've seen suggestions on the forum ranging from "the car has to be running while yu are bleeding the brakes" to "bleed everything, go drive the car, make the ABS kick in, go back to your garage and bleed everything again"
An interesting question with no ready answer. Decades ago ABS units needed special cycling controllers to properly bleed them but I've not read about those being necessary in many years. Might be, depends on the specific mfgr. Good question.

Perhaps a more important question is how do we make sure all the "old" fluid inside the ABS valves and tubing gets changed?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Q15H
No, haven't. Even if it did, nothing would leak out cause the whole liquid container portion is sealed, and probably under vacuum. When you're done sucking, bleed the vacuum out (has a bleed valve) then pull out the tube connector (seals with an o-ring) and pour the collected fluids out and rinse out the container. Just like pie.
Actually I was referring to your definition of "thingie" as in the MC reservior filler :] Any issues of it running out while you are at the back of the car bleeding out all the old fluid?

I wonder about the lines for the ABS as well. If you were to do the "Drive around" method, and bleed everything again, I wonder if you would even be able to tell the fluid from the ABS system and if it would even look dirty because of it being diluted ffom all the fresh fluid you put into the system on the first flush....
Old Jan 12, 2009, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Make your own pressure bleeder. Link
Old Jan 12, 2009, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
I think the one I have is the Motiv, use the Ford 3 prong (I think, screws right into the mc) mc connector and not the tuner one (generic clamp, people have had problems getting a good seal). If you call their office and tell them it is an Evo viii/ix they will know which Ford one to use. Fit was perfect, easy to use, no complaints at all. They are a couple cities down from me, and the guy who runs their office dropped mine off on the way home from work the same day, so their customer support I would give a big thumbs up as well.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CaliMR
I think the one I have is the Motiv, use the Ford 3 prong (I think, screws right into the mc) mc connector and not the tuner one (generic clamp, people have had problems getting a good seal).
Interesting.. I may have to give them a call.. I had the (generic?) style with a cone shaped rubber seal, and 2 thin eye bolts to tighten and 'seal' it... I thought it worked.. got maybe 10psi of pressure.. as draining a corner.. looked under the car towards the front.. brake fluid EVERYWHERE! That seal had broken, and spilled fluid out all over... Has anyone done the hybrid of DIY and the Motive/Otter style? use their bottle setup, but get a replacement MC cap, and put a barbed fitting in it to fit the hose coming from the pressure bleeder... like this: http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech/pressure-.../bleeder.shtml
I was thinking of buying the vacuum style that utilizes an air compressor line to create the vacuum (save your hands!) and use a small regulator to control the suction. The problem(s) I've had with the hand suction styles is the hose to bleeder and hose to hose connections not sealing enough to hold vacuum. Thoughts? Clicked & subscribed.

Last edited by Bassicfun; Dec 11, 2009 at 12:27 PM.

Quick Reply: anyone ever use a vacuum/pressure bleeder?