Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Continental Extreme Contact:

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2003, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Continental Extreme Contact:

I retired the Yoko's last monday. I decided that the Continental Extreme Contacts were what I'm looking for. The winter here in Boulder isnt too wild. It will definitely have it's moments, but for the most part its mild. The extreme contacts should take care of all the driving conditions I'll see without a problem.

I had a chance to break in the tires, then take em up on a canyon road (mixed with some dirt/gravel roads ( ).

For the most part, these wheels are very nice 'wet' weather replacements for the Yokos, with a good deal of performance for the dry pavement.

They feel a bit "squishy". But what can you do, the Yoko's capabilities are tough shoes to fill

After they warm up a bit, the grip is definitely there.

I'd have to say that they are comparible to the Yokos. Just a step or two down in the performance aspect, and a step up in the wet weather / dirt & gravel. As soon as it snows, I'll report. No yoko comparison of course, but a report non the less.

All in all, I'd say if you're looking to get replacement tires for the winter - Continental should def. Be on the list. Especially if the winter where you live is reletively mild - with some snow, rain, etc. I'd pass if you live in Fargo.

Last edited by cky3396; Sep 13, 2003 at 12:32 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 09:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds good! Glad you went with that tire, its already proved to be a great performer. Keep us posted on its winter performance
Old Sep 15, 2003, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool,

I'm planning on getting those as well (Southeastern Massachusetts winter), but I am still trying to figure out what wheel to get. I definitely want a black 17 inch wheel.

The price is also very good from what I've seen, ~120 in stock size, right?

Take care,

FB
Old Sep 15, 2003, 05:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Vanilla sky, What roads were you driving on? I live off Lee Hill...
Old Sep 17, 2003, 01:08 AM
Evolving Member

How does this tire comapare to the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S. I live in Denver and have been really interested in this tire. The Advans are pretty much gone afteo 7K. The price difference between the P-zero and the Continental doesn't seem much either.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 07:31 AM
Former Sponsor

It really depends on the driving conditions. They are both great tires. If you lived in a mild to light snow climate I would recommend the Pirelli. They are a bit better in the dry and summer months than the Conti's are. However, if you desire a bit more snow bite, look at the Conti's.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 08:06 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

See, this is why I'm going with the conti extreme's too, because living in Wisconsin, it's cold and nasty with the occasional DUMP of snow. So, I need something that can be good in the dry (or at least decent), and still can handle the big dumps of snow every once in a while.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Tires.com says we can put 245/45-17 on our stock rims with no rubbing or restrictions. Is this true? If so would it be wise to get this size? Why or why not? Input would be greatly appreciated!
Old Sep 17, 2003, 11:40 AM
Former Sponsor

I'm not showing that as a recommended fitment. That size will fit the wheels, but I can't guarntee it will fit the car properly. It looks as if they are just giving you the plus sizes based off of the O.E. If they have physcially tried that size on that car, I dont know. That listed 225/45-18 size is way off for the EVO. For the little in width and the gain in overall height, I'm not sure the performance gain/loss would be worth it anyway.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Im right by Colorado University - my only experiences so far have been Canyon and Sugarloaf (i think its sugarloaf...)

I'm running stock rims (stock size) and have absolutely no problems at all here.

The tires are pretty nice. I'm def happy with them, and I'll be able to comment about the wet weather / snow when I get a chance to drive in that.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 08:42 PM
DGS
Evolving Member

After they warm up a bit, the grip is definitely there.
If you have to warm them up in this weather, I'd be nervous about them in mid-winter temperatures.

I've noticed that the Bridgestone PP S03s on my summer car go noticably "off" below 40degF. I gather the stock Yokos are also not suited for cold climates.

I don't get a lot of built-up snow on the suburban roads around here, but cold we get in abundance.

I don't need a tire that can handle twelve feet of snow, but I need a tire that can handle a half inch of snow at -15degF ambient.

Does anyone list operating temperature ranges for different tires?
Old Sep 26, 2003, 05:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by DGS

If you have to warm them up in this weather, I'd be nervous about them in mid-winter temperatures.

I've noticed that the Bridgestone PP S03s on my summer car go noticably "off" below 40degF. I gather the stock Yokos are also not suited for cold climates.

I don't need a tire that can handle twelve feet of snow, but I need a tire that can handle a half inch of snow at -15degF ambient.

Does anyone list operating temperature ranges for different tires?
As a general rule, max performance, ultra high performance, and performance summer based tires operate best in temps above 40deg. Below that, the compounds start to get hard and the tires perform almost that of a marble. Snow, freezing rain, slush, forget it. The solution is to purchase an ultra high performance all season based tire that can still focus 80-85% on performance, but has enough compound to handle colder conditions. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Continental Extreme Contact, and the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M/S are all great tires to use on a performance level all year.
Old Sep 26, 2003, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Neal,

Those Pirellis look pretty good too.

Is there a significant weight difference between the Pirelli and the Continental? I remember when I bought tires for my GSR, I got the Dunlop SP 9000 partly because they were ~1 lbs lighter than other similar tires. Even 1 lbs can help, esp since this is rotating unsprung mass that is concentrated at the extreme outer portion of the rotating mass.

I have read that Pirellis in general are lighter than other tires as well.

I would love to save a few lbs per corner with my new wheel/tire combo.

Thanks,

FB
Old Sep 26, 2003, 11:34 AM
Former Sponsor

In this particular case, the Continental is the lighter tire. It weighs in at 22 lbs, the Pirelli M/S tops at 24 lbs. Significant difference when trying to save maximum weight!
Old Sep 26, 2003, 11:49 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by Neal@tirerack.
In this particular case, the Continental is the lighter tire. It weighs in at 22 lbs, the Pirelli M/S tops at 24 lbs. Significant difference when trying to save maximum weight!
Especially since it's unsprung weight. (the evil kind)

Quick Reply: Continental Extreme Contact: