Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tires to run topspeed ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2009, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires to run topspeed ?

I figured since I have so many experienced people with the same style platform rite here I would ask you guys what you think.

I am looking for a set of tires to put on my car. They need to be very stable at extreme speeds, they probably need a somewhat soft side wall so I can sorta hook up the 1000 plus awhp I put down, they cant be full r compound (I run in street classes)otherwise as sticky as possible.

The car will be used to compete in mostly standing mile races, but I may also go back to the silverstate classic in nevada and race in the 0-200 mph -0 race again, I may do the road race there as well (probably next year).
Any help and or description of different tires will be greatly appreciated.

Last 2 years I ran the nitto 555 extreme street tire (I think we should be able to find a much better tire with your help.

P.S.-tire size is limited to 235-45-17 something in the same width or narrower but taller would help with gearing.

Mike Reichen
Old Jan 21, 2009, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, they would have to be rated Z OMG

Neal would be the man to ask on this one. Y has the highest I have seen. But its not that fast even.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 05:31 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I really think you're going to have a hard time finding it in a tire of that size and streetable. For such a specific application, I think it might be your best bet to contact tire manufacturers directly, or perhaps a supplier who knows racing, such as Tire Rack. You'll definitely want a Y rated tire, at least, if you need a street tire.

The idea that there's a 0-200-0 event with a street tire class scares me and seems very irresponsible on the part of the event organizers.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 06:10 PM

Otter the speed rating is not all that important for the standing mile comps. due to the fact that the tires don't really have any time to get hot which is really another prerequisit(tires must work decent just warm not hot).
As for the 0-200-0 comp. I think the silverstate is the only place that runs this yearly(besides magazinetests).
Asa matter of fact I went in 07 and won the race/ set the records for the quickest 0-200-0 and the standing mile.This was done on the nittos, I could have stopped alot faster if I had some better tires.

Mike Reichen
Old Jan 21, 2009, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
NT05's are the new sticker Nittos. Similar compound to NT01's from what I have seen. Other than that Z1 Star Spec's are still very sticky. I ran those last summer as my AX/HPDE tire. But I don't hit near those speeds you require.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Y is for 186+ mph, your main concern is going to be tire weight, and load capacity. Tire rack has several tires to chose from, just get them shaved to help with weight and tire growth.

Oh, by the way your car is ****ing sick! I hope i see you at the Salt Flats.

Last edited by Fairclough; Jan 21, 2009 at 07:02 PM.