Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

NT03+M 18x9.5, differences between +27 & +40 offset?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2009, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question NT03+M 18x9.5, differences between +27 & +40 offset?

Ok, I know when fitted the +27 wheel is 13mm further outboard that the +40

But seriously, does anyone who runs the +27 on the front and +40 on the back, or any of the traders that sell these wheels, know exactly where the differences in the offset are designed into the wheel.

ie, are the spokes a different angle, or the outer rim a different width or is the inner mounting face thicker on the +27?

Reason for me asking is I have a set of +27, and I am fitting them to an Evo 6. On the rear I need to move the wheel inboard by around 10mm, and if the difference in offset is in the thickness of the hub/mounting face of the wheel, and everything else on the wheel is identical, it means I can just machine 10mm off the inner face.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can inform me of the facts
Old Jan 23, 2009, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

i dont believe the spokes would be any different, they would have to concave out. IMO it would look bad.

correct me if im wrong someone, but i believe the purpose of offsets is to widen the track of the car to allow a wider tire, if the wheel dosnt stick out enough, then a wide rim will go IN farther, meaning its likely to hit your wheel well. our cars, i extreamly doubt a +40 in that size would even fit without a 500MM spacer.

i have nto3s in 18x9.5 +27 and love them, they look amazing, however you need 10 mm spacers up front for the +27....
Old Jan 23, 2009, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i don't believe there is a difference in the faces.
there's a big difference in fitment tho.

get the +27's.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 12:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CliveW
Ok, I know when fitted the +27 wheel is 13mm further outboard that the +40

But seriously, does anyone who runs the +27 on the front and +40 on the back, or any of the traders that sell these wheels, know exactly where the differences in the offset are designed into the wheel.

ie, are the spokes a different angle, or the outer rim a different width or is the inner mounting face thicker on the +27?

Reason for me asking is I have a set of +27, and I am fitting them to an Evo 6. On the rear I need to move the wheel inboard by around 10mm, and if the difference in offset is in the thickness of the hub/mounting face of the wheel, and everything else on the wheel is identical, it means I can just machine 10mm off the inner face.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can inform me of the facts
While it seems logical that you could machine material off the thicker 27et back, you can't. The material thickness under the lug counter bores are the same on both wheel offsets, so it would weaken the lug area. Better to use 40 et rear with a thin spacer, and 27et front with no spacer.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SS RX7 r2
While it seems logical that you could machine material off the thicker 27et back, you can't. The material thickness under the lug counter bores are the same on both wheel offsets, so it would weaken the lug area. Better to use 40 et rear with a thin spacer, and 27et front with no spacer.
the fronts require atleast a 10mm spacer. i wouldnt have the weird offsets like that in front in rear, ill really make the trake of the car weird, wide up front and skinny in the rear. dosnt sound like a great idea?
Old Jan 24, 2009, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by SS RX7 r2
OK, I've had a good look at the wheels I've got, +27, and as you said the counterbores are too deep to be able to remove any material from the back face, bummer

Oh well, I'll just have to modify the rear arches instead, thanks for your help
Old Jan 24, 2009, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by booster9
the fronts require atleast a 10mm spacer. i wouldnt have the weird offsets like that in front in rear, ill really make the trake of the car weird, wide up front and skinny in the rear. dosnt sound like a great idea?
Actually, running a wider track up front is a great idea as it helps to reduce the inherent understeer of the Evo.

I would have got +27 front, +40 rear, but the wheels I got were the limited run matt black ones that Touge Factory sold, and they only came in +27.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by booster9
As Clive mentioned, running a wider track up front is VERY common on Evos for a number of performance reasons.