Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Popping from front left corner

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2009, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suggest you check the ball joints as they tend to pop when they go bad.

Do you notice that your wheel feels like it pulls to the side a bit even though you got a alignment? Sometimes when the joints go bad even if you get an alignment you still can feel the wheel going off to one side.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...end-noise.html

You can find many people having this issue and this is a great thread.
Good luck
Old Feb 20, 2009, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

i checked all data a couple times no mention of anyting with popping or strange noises from the wheels...auto instructor said it could be a cv joint but he would have to ride in the car to hear it
Old Feb 20, 2009, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Nemui
I suggest you check the ball joints as they tend to pop when they go bad.

Do you notice that your wheel feels like it pulls to the side a bit even though you got a alignment? Sometimes when the joints go bad even if you get an alignment you still can feel the wheel going off to one side.
oh F*** me right lol that might be me....gonna bring it back to Mitsubishi for 2nd time and see what they say.....think they'll cover anything like the ball joints or anything under warranty?
Old Feb 20, 2009, 01:57 PM

I'm not having a clunking noise. It doesn't happen when I hit bumps. It sounds like metal binding only when turning. It is very noticeable when the car isn't even moving.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

CV joints?
Old Feb 21, 2009, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by 05whiteRS
wow, this seems to be a much more common problem than I expected. I'm planning on getting the car up in the air and removing the wheel to see if I can isolate the sound tomorrow.
ive tried countless times, at least in my situation there needs to be weight on the left wheel to re-create the sound.

good luck to you, let me know what you find.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:35 AM

well after putting the car up I could not get it to make the noise again. So I jacked up the suspension to put a load on the spring, still nothing. All of the suspension parts seemed to be moving smoothly. I would think if it was a cv joint it would always make the noise. I'm at a loss now. Any other ideas?
Old Feb 21, 2009, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

my car has been doing this since nearly new in 2003. It continued the same issue even after a strut change. Untill somthing breaks im not concerned lol
Old Feb 21, 2009, 03:39 PM

well after a short drive I quickly determined that it is a bad strut. Now it makes a horrible clunking noise hitting bumps at slow speeds. I can't believe that a megan strut would go bad this quickly. Guess I'll be taking it off and sending it to megan this week.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SpinninAll4s
Mine is doing the EXACT same thing how strange! I Have Tein coilovers and just put on some cusco camber plates. Sometimes when I turn right/left the springs will pop and make a loud "ping" noise . Then the top strut bolt will loosen up....CAN SOMEONE PLEASE diagianois this?
This is an easy one! If you turn your wheel and a loud bing occurs your spring is binding up on the perch then releasing. I had it happen to previous cars with suspension. One way fix this is a little lithium grease and you can try putting a rubber house enderneath and above the upper and lower perch. Another words have the spring sit on the hose rather than the perch, This should work!
Old Feb 27, 2009, 10:50 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EriCS
This is an easy one! If you turn your wheel and a loud bing occurs your spring is binding up on the perch then releasing. I had it happen to previous cars with suspension. One way fix this is a little lithium grease and you can try putting a rubber house enderneath and above the upper and lower perch. Another words have the spring sit on the hose rather than the perch, This should work!
Your theory seems to have some logic to it lol. Like many others mine just started making the binding noise after I installed some Cusco camber plates. The car is on Tein suspension now and was before the camber plates. Im going to try to lube it up and then put some rubber inserts on the bottom of the strut and the top where the camber plate sits....suscribed!
Old Feb 28, 2009, 04:18 AM
Evolving Member

when you are turning the car and it makes a pop and u fell it then your balljoint on that side is no good and should be replaced.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05whiteRS
I'm not having a clunking noise. It doesn't happen when I hit bumps. It sounds like metal binding only when turning. It is very noticeable when the car isn't even moving.
I had the same thing happen right after I installed my megan track coilovers awhile back. I took out the dampener adjustments for the fronts (they slide out). Then I got a metric allen wrench, held the shock and tightened the nut. It has to be really tight, after that I sat at idle turned each way and no more creaking noises.