Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Popping from front left corner

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2009, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Popping from front left corner

My car just yesterday starting popping from the front left wheel area when I turn. It does it even at a stand still in neutral both left and right. I don't really notice it going over like 20 mph. I've got megan coilovers but otherwise stock suspension. Any ideas what's going on???

thanks,
Old Feb 17, 2009, 06:11 PM

I am having the same problem. I changed my tires and had an alignment done and then the popping started. The car is stock. A friend of mine said it might be the strut mount but I am going to take it to a Mits Mechanic to see what they think.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i would put it as one of two things, either the springs are creaking cause they are bound too tight, or the top hat bushing might be going out, but without hearing it i couldnt be sure
Old Feb 17, 2009, 06:18 PM

I don't know how it would be a strut mount. What would move in the strut mount when turning sitting still?
Old Feb 18, 2009, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by 05whiteRS
My car just yesterday starting popping from the front left wheel area when I turn. It does it even at a stand still in neutral both left and right. I don't really notice it going over like 20 mph. I've got megan coilovers but otherwise stock suspension. Any ideas what's going on???

thanks,
Mine is doing the same thing, both of my front struts need to be replaced And with only 40k miles
Old Feb 18, 2009, 03:04 PM

I doubt it's my struts. The megan coilovers have been on less than 10k. It's sounds more like metal binding, but I don't know how it could be the springs. The car is not slammed down or anything.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

I have over 80k on my car, stock suspension.. and it rides perfect still
Old Feb 18, 2009, 08:19 PM
Account Disabled

I doubt it's my struts. The megan coilovers have been on less than 10k. It's sounds more like metal binding, but I don't know how it could be the springs. The car is not slammed down or anything.
Mine is doing the EXACT same thing how strange! I Have Tein coilovers and just put on some cusco camber plates. Sometimes when I turn right/left the springs will pop and make a loud "ping" noise . Then the top strut bolt will loosen up....CAN SOMEONE PLEASE diagianois this?
Old Feb 18, 2009, 09:01 PM
Account Disabled

Bump anyone know what could be causing this? Would some cushioning under the camber plate help?
Old Feb 19, 2009, 02:05 PM

I checked my upper mount and everything is solid. It sounds like it is coming from somewhere lower.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Subscribed
Old Feb 19, 2009, 09:19 PM
Account Disabled

I checked my upper mount and everything is solid. It sounds like it is coming from somewhere lower.
I posted up this question in the Evonewb thread. Someone with coilovers told me to lub up the rubber on the bottom of the strut...check out the thread.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

I HAVE THE SAME EXACT THING AS WELL...put snow tires on (still stock suspension 58k miles) and it makes a low popping noise intermittently when making left turns extremely slight all the way to lock but nothing when wheel is turned to the right...when going straight i hear it sometimes if wheel is a little leaned left....alignment place said its possibly sway bar bushing?

subscribed
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:33 PM

same thing here too. i have tein coilovers and 25,xxx miles. its sounds(and feels) like a thunk when i turn left slowly. dont notice it when the car is in motion. mitsu mechanic told me it could be a loose nut/bolt on the subframe. would really like to hear what it turns out to be with everyone elses car.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 02:38 AM

wow, this seems to be a much more common problem than I expected. I'm planning on getting the car up in the air and removing the wheel to see if I can isolate the sound tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Popping from front left corner