Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Hawk Track Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2009, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawk Track Brake Pads

I am going to be road racing my Evo in a couple months and I am trying to find some reviews on Hawk brake pads. I will be using street tires for now. I would like some thoughts on people that have actually used these pads on their cars at the track. The pads I am trying to decide between are the DTC60, DTC70, HT-10, Blues, or Blacks. How good do they perform, any fade, how long have they lasted, and do they eat up the rotors? Thanks!
Old Mar 5, 2009, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Old Mar 5, 2009, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ct-thread.html
Old Mar 6, 2009, 07:14 AM

I have searched and I have read that thread.........but that still does not answer my specific questions. That is why I have started a new post. I am looking for responses from people that have used these brake pads on the track.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

dude use search. There are a TON of threads on this. That being said...

I used HT-10 on a mildly modded EVO (330 WHP) and they worked great. Learn from my mistakes (lazyness) though.. CHANGE YOUR PADS AT THE TRACK!!!! one day on these pads shredded my rotors a bit and ruined my wheels. Once heated up they worked fine, no rotor wear at all, if anything they leave a minimal build up of material on the rotor. Take a couple laps to ensure they are bedded well, and do not stop on the brakes when coming in after a session and you should not have any TV (warping). Some have had issues, I have not. Although I may not be as hard on them as other more aggressive drivers.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by anthony_86gt
I have searched and I have read that thread.........but that still does not answer my specific questions. That is why I have started a new post. I am looking for responses from people that have used these brake pads on the track.
Yeah i know what you mean, i don't know why people need to post "search" lol. I am also looking for some good hpde pads, not sure what i'm going with yet. Good luck with your search, i would call them and see what they have to say.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

I would say DTC-30 to start with. The 60s and 70s might be too much pad for street tires, but I've never driven on 60s or 70s on the track (only auto-x) so I don't know for sure.

I run the 30s on my car, although I mostly auto-x - I haven't gotten to the track with them yet. I run them all the time and the rotor and pad wear have been fine so far. I'm sure they would hold up well for anyone besides the hardcore track day/time trial demographic.

I do know that 60s and 70s will also kill rotors fast. For the fronts, you're looking at two sets of rotors per set of pads on average. They will also shoot sparks out of the wheels under reasonable pressure, which is a fun trick.

Old Mar 6, 2009, 11:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
+1 on all recc above. To get the combo that truly works for your car and driving style, you might have to trial/error with a few compounds until you feel comfortable.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by anthony_86gt
I am going to be road racing my Evo in a couple months and I am trying to find some reviews on Hawk brake pads. I will be using street tires for now. I would like some thoughts on people that have actually used these pads on their cars at the track. The pads I am trying to decide between are the DTC60, DTC70, HT-10, Blues, or Blacks. How good do they perform, any fade, how long have they lasted, and do they eat up the rotors? Thanks!
Could you be more specific please. Usually racing (meaning track racing) and street tires do not go together in the same sentence. Maybe you mean DE's? Or Solo I or Solo II (auto-x)? What is your experience level? What do you want to change about your current setup (what happened that leads you to believe you need different pads? Fade? Pad crumbling? other?)

Honestly, id go stock until you find the limits of your stock setup except for higher temp brake fluid. Best way to learn is to use what you have until you find your setup's limit then mod based on what you want to change. For example, I got brake ducts before I upgraded the pads simply because I saw brake crumble without fading (meaning overheating) with stock tires. So I decided to add cooling first. Later, as I noticed the pads getting greasy with track tires (even with the extra cooling), I upgraded the pads. This keeps your spending down and you only change what you really need to change. You also become a much better driver that way.

The stock pads are surprisingly good and enough for anyone running in the entry level DE' groups and even for the 3-lap sprint of a Solo I event. For auto-x, unless you are good and consistent enough, you will not notice any difference due to pads.

To answer your question (which by the way is present in other threads), all the pads you mentioned above would be too much torque for street tires except for maybe the Blacks (I can't recall the temp & torque specs on these). Blues are killer on the rims when they get wet. I used DTC-60 on the street for a week as I didn't want to change them at the track and they are very dusty & noisy. All the pads (except for the blacks) require that you get them up to temp before they work as advertised. I never had fade with blues or the DTC 60's. I used HP Plus's once and they did not work too well for me, the stock pads held up better and were more consistent. I didn't really notice that any pad was bad on rotor wear. You will get grooving & micro fractures with any race pad so expect that. How long they last depends on your driving style. Some people have their pad last an entire season, I for example, can use up a set of pads over 2 events... depends on your driving experience and style.

Good Luck.

Last edited by xtnct; Mar 6, 2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 07:55 AM

Thanks for the replies so far besides the obvious ones that don't help. I will be doing driving schools a few times a year with the car. I have been on the track plenty and I just bought my Evo about a month ago. The car has about 54k miles on it and I know that the pads on it will not survive a track like Mid Ohio. So this is why I am looking for some advice on what I should go with. Are DTC-30s new? I have not seen these anywhere.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Given your experience, intended purpose & stock tires, you may want to try DTC-60, HT-10 or the Blacks, especially if you are planning on getting some R-comps in the near future. You may experience more ABS intrusion than you would normally, but it should keep you going without any issues.

Don't bother with a pad like HP+ (supposed to be a street/mild track pad). It just does not hold up good enough. I found the stock pads better than the HPS on the track.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. I will look into those three and try to narrow it down. Any pros and cons between them besides the obvious price, and temp range? I figured I would see what you guys are using since I have not tracked an Evo before or anything that weighs close.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
HP+ and HPS are NOT track pads. I would not get near the track on them.

I have run the HT10's (replaced by the DTC-60 pads) on Dunlop Z1*'s for the last 2 seasons. They have put up with my abuse and still have good life on them. I might overpower them this year on my V710 tires, but we will see.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xtnct
Given your experience, intended purpose & stock tires, you may want to try DTC-60, HT-10 or the Blacks, especially if you are planning on getting some R-comps in the near future. You may experience more ABS intrusion than you would normally, but it should keep you going without any issues.

Don't bother with a pad like HP+ (supposed to be a street/mild track pad). It just does not hold up good enough. I found the stock pads better than the HPS on the track.
Good advice here.

I've run DTC60's all around and like them coupled with r-comps on a mildly modded Evo. I might go with the DTC70's next time to 'really throw out an anchor'.
Keep in mind I have upgraded fluid, SS lines, rotors and cooling ducts.

Here's some good threads to read. I've put in some comments in both to support my thoughts above:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...-dtc-pads.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...u-suggest.html

Last edited by boomn29; Mar 9, 2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 07:30 AM

How are Racing Brake brand of brake pads? I was looking at their ET700 or ET800 and they seem to be in the same temperature rating of the Hawks, but they are a lot cheaper.