Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Which all season tires these days?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2009, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which all season tires these days?

I've got a stock VIII with the Enkeis. Last tire buy I went with the ContiExtreme Contacts and have had excellent results. Not the stickiest tires, but the wear has been awesomely even and they have dramatically reduced noise from whatever the previous owner had on it before.

I've put probably 50k miles on them and based on the price they were amazing.

Reading on tirerack, the Kumho Ecsta ASX seems to be highly rated, along with the Yoko W4s.

Last time I got a Kumho was about 5 years ago - got the summer-only max performance tire and the damn things lasted < 1 year and howled like a dog in heat. Disclaimer - yes they were summer-only and yes a lot lower treadwear rating.

My priority: (assuming all all/season tires)

1) tread life
2) noise
3) grip
4) price

But having said that, I'm not spending more than $130-140 per tire. Sorry Michelin.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I have a spare set of rims with Victoracers on them before you flame/ask.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:15 AM

Im still driving on my Hankook Icebear W300's. I bought them for winter tires and thinking about leaving them on all year. I have an extra set of rims I might use for autocrossing.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:21 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evohemi
Im still driving on my Hankook Icebear W300's. I bought them for winter tires and thinking about leaving them on all year. I have an extra set of rims I might use for autocrossing.
Winter tires dont do well in the heat of spring and summer, so you'll be better off pulling them and saving tread for next winter. Should last a few winter seasons depending on how much you drive.

As far as all seasons, I've been on Falken 912. They go for about $90-100 a piece, and work very well for the price. They last about 30-40k miles depending on how you use and abuse them.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Falken 912s for the price, longevity, and quality
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evohemi
I have the same tires and they are a great compromise between a snow tire and all season tire. They are technically snow tires but are stiff and wear like all seasons. I usually keep them on for 5-6 months out of the year until autocross or track days begin. Then I put my summer tires on. I've had the hankook icebears for about 4 years now and have almost full tread.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the kumhos dont really impress me that much but neither do other tires. I just got them for the snow so I wouldn't kill myself driving with summer tires. Decent grip not much road noise and got them for dirt cheap. My next set I will probably go with the continental tires since I heard good things about them. Can't wait for summer tires
Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have Toyo Proxes 4 all seasons and i love them. they're quiet, excellent tread wear, and the price i got them for i just couldn't pass up pm me for details if you would like.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the Kumhos and they seeemed to not last very long, or long enough - not what I was expecting. But they were quiet, offered decent grip and otherwise no complaints. This time I went with Toyo PRoxes 4, so far so good.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 01:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Yoko W4S is a great Jack of all trades tire. Rides well, handles great, isn't noisy, 35k+ miles, etc. I'd agree the Kumho isn't as good, average at best. As a runner up I'd look to B-Stone's G019 Grid.

Last edited by Neal@tirerack; Mar 11, 2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks, Neil. Based on what I've read, it's the W4S or the toyos. I really wish you guys stocked Toyos. Have wished that for damn near a decade.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 06:14 AM
Evolving Member

Ok - actually time to buy. Looks like Conti discontinued the old A/S tire and has the newer DWS. Based on reviews, it sounds like the Kumhos are loud. Loud = bad to me as I drive my Evo for at least an hour to an hour and a half each day.

It rains a lot in Florida so I need good wet traction and I don't mind sacrificing dry traction for it. I use my Victoracers for dry traction at the track.

So having said that - what's the updated suggestion, if any? I still want an all-season tire for the treadwear (got about 65k out of the Conti's) but I don't want to cheap out and get a loud tire.

I've also read a few people's review of the tire that said the Yoko's were loud. The Yoko's still score the best in tirerack testing but to be fair they don't tend to rate ride noise much if at all.