Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Help hit curb at 10-15mph

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2009, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help hit curb at 10-15mph

Hey i hit a curb with my evo this last weekend. I was going about 10-15mph and hit the passenger side rims square on the curb and broke my rim. now I have the new rim and put it onto my evo 8. Now my questions is when im driving anything over 40mph i get this weard sound. Kinda like something is rubbing, gets loud and quiet loud and quiet really fast. or its like i have some really nobbie tires. The sound goes away when i turn right and get louder when i turn left. Also the sound goes away when i press on the brakes. What do you guys think it would be. My stearing wheel is still straight and it will wandera little to the right if i let go of the wheel on the highway.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 02:07 AM
Evolved Member

If you smacked a curb at any speed chances are you bent a control arm or something. I hit a curb doing under 10mph drifting in the rain with my 240sx and bent my lower control arm and tie rod. Take off the wheel on that end and see if anything is bent. Compare it to the other side if your not 100% sure or take it somewhere and have them look at it. Chances are your going to at least need an alignment.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
LCA, wheel bearing, struts bent - have it checked out.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 06:54 AM

Yea im going to take it in hopefully the 18th. I hope its nothing too expensive! But i know its going to be!
Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:42 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those parts can easily be sourced in the in for-sale or part out forums for relatively cheap. GL!
Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

The nobby tire sound makes me think drive shaft (just from the diff to the wheel, not the main drive shaft from the transmission). Had one of those go out on my wife's car and it sounded just like that.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 09:07 AM

Man i hope its not the drive shaft! But ill keep you all posted i have an apointment here in 4 hrs. I hope its just the LCA!! and not the tie rod!!! I have those whiteline roll adjustment ball joints in and i dont want to spend money getting new ones!
Old Mar 17, 2009, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

wow...so u hit a curb, BROKE a wheel...and u think thats the only damage....yeah, there is a lot more wrong with it...and an alignment would probably help too....
Old Mar 17, 2009, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

if it goes away when u lean the car its more than likely a wheel bearing....

jack the car up and see if the wheel has any shake..

also did u go get an alignment.. they shoulda saw if anythin was bent
Old Mar 18, 2009, 01:36 AM

Ok here is the report,
I took it into the one place i trusted to have them check over for bent suspension. They said there was nothing that looked bent or out of shape at all on the LCA or the Outer Tie Rod. All other suspension components looked to be fine when i jacked it up at my house too. He also checked to see if there was any play in the ball joints, bearings, or if something was knocked loose. There was no shimmy in the bearing or ball joints. He told me if it had been a hub bearing it would of gotten louder when i sped up. this only happends at 40mph+ So at the end of the day i had onc of there top guys scratching his head. Eventually he said he could not tell me what it was. He sugested it might be a bent drive shaft.

We did notice that my passenger tire was abnormally wore on the outside tread. So when i went home i adjusted it a little and rotated my tires and test drive it again. I still have the noise.

At the end if the day i did not get it alligned because if its something like a drive shaft i dont want to spend money to get an alignment only to find out i have to tear into the suspension again.

I am kinda thinking it could be solved with an alignment. I dont think i hit hard enough to cause any bending in the drive shaft, LCA, tie rods?

Its almost like my tires in the frount are vibrating.

Any other sugestions

Last edited by aspensvt16; Mar 18, 2009 at 01:41 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:14 AM

It the #%$^&# HUB assembly BEARINGS..... thats a nice chunk of money!

Thanks for all the help guys now the search for parts!
Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:28 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
if it is accident related due to slippery conditions, rain, snow, etc that caused you to slid then I think it is an insurance issue.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by aspensvt16
Yea im going to take it in hopefully the 18th. I hope its nothing too expensive! But i know its going to be!
Just pray it's not the strut.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If the alignment doesn't come out clean odds are you will need a lower control are and strut. Struts can be had on ebay for dirt cheap. Lower control arms sell for about $100 each maybe a tad more.

It doesn't take much to bend the aluminum LCA. In fact they were designed to absorb the impact. Replacment of said parts is a very minor job that can be done with hand tools, breaker bar, and a jack.