Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

PF-Z What?! (Performance Friction Z rated pads)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2009, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PF-Z What?! (Performance Friction Z rated pads)

My car started making a grinding noise when braking last week. I had finals last week, wisdom tooth surgery on thursday and didn't have time/energy to pull the pads and inspect my brakes until last night (Saturday).

Got em out last night and this is what I found.

Keep in mind, I haven't been on the road course or done any hard braking since 2007. I always downshift when slowing down to minimize brake usage and am generally very easy on my brakes.

On every pad, the pad material was peeling away from the backing plate. Not very happy about this.

I am contacting PF to see if they are willing to do anything about the situation. I'll report back with what happens.

Not sure if I'm confident in these pads any longer.

-Justin
Old Mar 22, 2009, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

please do... I have these same pads and love them...
Old Mar 22, 2009, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

It's hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like those pads were pretty much done anyways.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a noise when I'm ciusing from these pads and looks like I have irregular wear on my PR two peice front rotors. VERY NOT COOL. But thanks for posting this thread. Looks like these Z pads are the culprits.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

NRS race grip, Satisfied FTW!

but seriously, looks like they got heated alot for them to seperate from the backing material
Old Mar 23, 2009, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PVD04
It's hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like those pads were pretty much done anyways.
Yeah, they do look very thin. How many miles are on them?

I ran PFZ's on my car a few years back. Had a mix of street/track and they were great for that task. I went onto a dedicated track pad, but still throw in the PFZ's when I have gaps in events if I want to drive safely on the streets.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

For everyone that is saying the pads didn't have much life left. The pad that broke into pieces was the inner pad and the highlighted pad was the outer pad as shown in the picture. As you can see, there was a lot of pad life left on the outer pad.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

you down shift to minimize strain on the brakes when down shifting really puts strain on the tranny?
Old Mar 23, 2009, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

^^agreed
disc pads are way cheaper and easier to change than a clutch disc
Old Mar 23, 2009, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boltz.
For everyone that is saying the pads didn't have much life left. The pad that broke into pieces was the inner pad and the highlighted pad was the outer pad as shown in the picture. As you can see, there was a lot of pad life left on the outer pad.
In my limited experience, the inner pads wear quicker than the outer pads. Just cause you have plenty of outer pad material left does not mean that your inner pads are OK too.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have about 8k miles on my PF Z's and a couple autoX and they still look fine with no irregular wear. Only weird thing I have noticed is when they get hot from high speed braking they make this super loud annoying howl...
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by red evo8
you down shift to minimize strain on the brakes when down shifting really puts strain on the tranny?
I don't see any problem. I rev match and change trans fluid regularly on a shep trans. Downshifting to 3rd gear to let the car slow itself down is not a problem in my eyes.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Ok, so what do they measure? Pads might be up to 1/2" thick when brand new. I usually measure about 7/16" I think.

What a lot of people don't realize is that the second half of your pad goes twice as quick. (it's a little more complex formula than that). This is because it's harder to dissapait the heat.
For example, on a car that's tracked if the pads are 1/2 worn down - they could be close to finished as the second 1/2 will go much much quicker because of the added heat temps.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

The picture in this post isn't showing up for me, but the pad that's furthest away in the first picture of the first post is pretty much done as far as I'm concerned. As soon as the pad is the same thickness as the backing plate I replace them. If that was the outside pad and the inside pad fell apart, it was probably a few thousand miles beyond the point I would replace it.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PVD04
The picture in this post isn't showing up for me, but the pad that's furthest away in the first picture of the first post is pretty much done as far as I'm concerned. As soon as the pad is the same thickness as the backing plate I replace them. If that was the outside pad and the inside pad fell apart, it was probably a few thousand miles beyond the point I would replace it.
I agree.

Quick Reply: PF-Z What?! (Performance Friction Z rated pads)