Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best Tire Size for AutoX?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2009, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Tire Size for AutoX?

I plan on starting some AutoX soon and don't know which direction to go with tire size?

I still have the stock rims, 17x8. But might be upgrading to Enkei RPF1 either 17x8 or 17x9. And don't know which size of tire to go, i already know im going with BF Goodrich KDW 2s for tires.

What do you recommend/use?
Old Mar 29, 2009, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
If going to have fun -- don't worry too much about it. Run the OE with the KDW2's and have fun.

If going to become more serious -- different story.

Depending on classing (and sticking with 17x8 or 9 rims), SM, SM street tire, STU, etc. You will want to maximize your grip. 245/45/45 offers a slightly taller tire to get more out of 2nd gear in long sections. 255/40 is slightly shorter, but wider for more ultimate grip.

Tires - KDW2 are OK as an all around summer tire, but not the best for AXing. The current tire of choice is the Dunlop Z1 Star Spec, followed by the B'stone RE01R, and the new comer is the Nitto NT05.

I ran SM street tire indexed for about 2 seasons. Allows me to run all my mods and my street tires (Z1's). And still be competitive in a classing. Running SM all out without r-comps wasn't a far fight. But back to the street tires, I got to learn and push my car on them. I know want to grow more and have moved up to V700 r-comps.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 06:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
agreed