Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Falken ZE912 questions...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2009, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Falken ZE912 questions...

OK... so my yokohama advan A043's have just about had enough of these new york roads... belts are showing on the inside, and almost 1/32" of tread, maybe even less... the car has about 21,300 miles as of today, and these are the factory tires... i went to a friend of mine that works at an STS tire and can get me a hook up... he highly recommended these falkens, said his buddy with a boosted honda with full suspension (coilovers, sways, LCA's, and other misc. stuff) runs these ZE912's and loves them, takes turns heavy, does some "off course autocross" and is really happy... my only concerns are being that im paying $125 a tire, mounted, balanced, and installed am i going to have similar performance to the yoko's which retail $305 a piece ? biggest rule in picking parts is you get what you pay for and i dont want to be taking an off ramp a little quick and have my *** end swing out and smack a tree, i understand going from summer high performance to all season high performance there will be some sacrifices, but i dont want a crappy tire... does anybody here run these ? my 2nd choice was kumho ecsta ASX's that came highly recommended by some friends of mine down at top level performance, so i just want to make sure im making a sound investment... if anybody here is running either of these tires or any other all season high performance please let me know what you like/dislike about them !

ALSO... im thinking about getting some meatier tires, the OEM SE wheels are 235/45/17 and im also an MR so i have the bilsteins, if i was to pick up some 235/50/17's would i come across any issues like rubbing, or turning ? not really dead set on it, but just an idea that i had in mind being that these NY roads are brutal and running rubber band tires isnt really what i feel comfortable doing, if anybody has these sized tires on OEM wheels please post up a pic and let me know !

thanks in advance !!!

matt

Falken Zeix ZE912's

Last edited by scarface2jz; Apr 5, 2009 at 04:32 AM.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
did you ever get an alignment once you got ur car to correct the toe situation? The reason why the inner part of ur front tires wore out so quick is because of the factory alignment that comes on our cars.

what tire you get next depends on what you are going to be doing with the car. The falkens I heard are pretty good performing tires but i don't think they will compare to the oem tires. I have the kumho asx on my car right now as they were my winter tires and they do perform well but only as an all season. They don't even compare to any summer tire.

I wanted something that compared to oem tire so I went with a set of dunlop z1 star specs in 245/45/17. They were lik 135 a tire? Not too bad if you ask me since oem tires are 300 a pop. It all depends on what your going to do man. I'm going to be tracking my car whether its autox or road course this summer so I wanted a sticky tire. Some others I considered were falken rt615 or bridgestone re-01(discontinued) or re-11.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 04:32 AM
Evolving Member

its daily driver status, with some aggressive road driving, maybe hit up the drag strip... when i do these tires im going to get an alignment at the same time... thank you for your imput
Old Apr 5, 2009, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

I have these tires in OEM size (235/45/17) and they're not bad at all. They're holding up pretty well, pretty sticky for their kind of rating. I've autocrossed once so far with these tires and their great!
Old Apr 6, 2009, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

I've got a set of these that are just about at the end of their life, they're not bad, definitely not as much grip as the stock tires but you shouldn't expect that since they're all seasons and will probably last twice as long. If you want to go bigger than stock I'd recommend 255/40/17, they'll fit just fine and will give more grip but you'll lose some of your traction in the snow by going bigger, so 245/40/17 could be a nice in-between size but certainly not 235/50/17 which would be taller and not wider.

To summarize if you're looking for ultimate cornering grip for auto-crossing these aren't it but if you're looking for a decent tire to drive around on all year round the Zeix 912 will get the job done and are very good for the price.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

i wasnt going for a wider tire, but taller... but i think i'm going to go for the OEM 235/45/17... makes the most sense since i dont autocross, just plan on going to the strip, and having fun on the street... i think the falkens are going to be my best bet... soooo, by the end of next week i'm going to order a set...
Old Apr 29, 2009, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

my tax return took forever, but today i finally did it, and ordered the tires, i should have them on by tomorrow night, and ill post a first impression review
Old May 1, 2009, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

the tires ride AWESOME, they are very quiet, comfortable, and handle quite nicely, but the only thing i dont like is the softer sidewalls, the steering response is delayed compared to the yokos, and the car kind of oversteers now... gay, but not enough to really notice unless your focusing on it, but they heat up quickly, and handle nice around turns, but now i feel like i need sway bars...