Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Suspension Discussion: Camber vs. Caster

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by jwick76
I've been told that the rear on the stock OZ has little to no camber adjustment over stock due to the control arm setup (or lack of one). I was looking for input in another thread about retrofitting the whiteline control arms to allow for more play...

The side that's maxed is at -1.4, for some reason the left gets within specs but the right front is maxed here. I'll check the bolts on both sides, the tech did seem kind of "limited" when I asked if he'd install an aftermarket bolt kit if I bought one. "we don't do that here". okay, right. Guess swapping out bolts is out of their league, big red flag for me there... And when I did the struts, I was ignorant of bolt position, so I wouldn't be surprised if I put them in the wrong way...

Now when you say more camber up front, are you referring to negative or positive? I've been looking at forum numbers and charts all night, and I'm getting crosseyed. I know it comes down to personal preference, and everyone's got an opinion...
I didn't realize you had an OZ Lancer. This thread (and subforum) are all Evo-specific. You'll probably have much better luck in the Lancer-specific subforums.

Generally "more camber" refers to negative camber.

Almost all alignment shops will refuse to work on cars with non-stock suspension parts. It's more of a liability thing, plus those customers tend to be more demanding and specific (read: more expensive). If you want custom alignment with custom parts, you'll probably have to find a specialized shop that does race alignments. Ask around and you'll probably get some tips.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct
I didn't realize you had an OZ Lancer. This thread (and subforum) are all Evo-specific. You'll probably have much better luck in the Lancer-specific subforums.

Almost all alignment shops will refuse to work on cars with non-stock suspension parts. It's more of a liability thing, plus those customers tend to be more demanding and specific (read: more expensive). If you want custom alignment with custom parts, you'll probably have to find a specialized shop that does race alignments. Ask around and you'll probably get some tips.
Thanks for the info, this was the only thread I found discussing the info I needed...I'll hit up the stock guys and see what's what.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goofygrin
Has anyone used the camber bolts? Whiteline/spc 81260/whatever in order to increase camber at the knuckle?

They are reasonably inexpensive (<$30), but since the bolt isn't as thick it won't be as strong as the OE bolt and that concerns me a bit since the car is a daily driver as well as autocross and track toy. Of course, my other option is to notch the strut until Stance gets me new lowers with offset holes (they have said they are working on it).
Camber bolts as great, they wont break, they are made from grade 8 steel so its really strong , the only down fall is it only gives you a limited amount of camber, around 1 degree of travel. , camber plates usually the best way to go.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Construct

I take my car to my local alignment shop and it has all aftermarket adjustments and they do it with a breeze, you just got to find a shop that can accomidate lowered vehilcles , level auto in toronto specalizes in lowered and aftermarket adjustments.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:46 PM

is an alignment shop able to adjust the rear camber? whats the max negative camber the rear can get?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
mega bump for this:

i'm going with ohlins for my new setup, gonna turn the camber plates to *be able* to get caster, but i haven't decided if i want more caster. i really love the evo's steering, so any talk of degradation of steering really worries me - and considering how much the setup should improve with what I'm adding, I think I'll like how the car handles..
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
mega bump for this:

i'm going with ohlins for my new setup, gonna turn the camber plates to *be able* to get caster, but i haven't decided if i want more caster. i really love the evo's steering, so any talk of degradation of steering really worries me - and considering how much the setup should improve with what I'm adding, I think I'll like how the car handles..
Try it out with more caster. Personally, it doesn't bother me. There was a tiny difference, but it's so small that it only took one AutoX for me to adjust to it.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
even though this is an evo thread, just wanted to put some info in:

I raised my ride height by 1.5" greater than stock with custom coilovers, and it tweaked my caster. It's much more responsive to turns...but it will not try to reorient back to center. It's more aggressive to steering, meaning that it will take a turn quicker than stock... And you don't want to let any idjit drive your car afterwards, only experienced drivers. Read: if you let your wifey drive it, she will hit a curb. done and done.

I'm getting camber plates to rotate to adjust this so it's more friendly to other people using my car...and adjustable for when I want to take it out for fun.