Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

3mm wheel spacer/ RPF1s

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2009, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well..if you clear now... then I suppose a 23mm would work just fine. The NT03's I have need at least 23mms of spacer to clear. e.g (they touch the caliper @ 22, 21, 20, 19mm of spacer etc. And another 2 mm of spacer (25mm) to get the 3mm total clearance.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
Well..if you clear now... then I suppose a 23mm would work just fine. The NT03's I have need at least 23mms of spacer to clear. e.g (they touch the caliper @ 22, 21, 20, 19mm of spacer etc. And another 2 mm of spacer (25mm) to get the 3mm total clearance.
Gotcha, I am now significantly more concerned about fitting the rim at the fender than I was if you are rolled at 3 deg camber. But your offset might be different with the NT03s, what is it?
Old Apr 19, 2009, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by inco9nito99
The best spacers, I run 'em, (used on Porsche race cars as well).

Fred Groeske: http://www.wheeladapter.com/ Tell him the specs, he can make wheel and hubcentric spacers out of aluminum for ANY car and guarantees no issues whatsoever (lifetime guarantee actually!).
nice suggestion, bookmarked
Old Apr 19, 2009, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

I have a set of 25mm spacers from wheel adapter. They are top notch in fit and finish. Highly recommend using him.

As far as clearing the fender Robispec took a hand towel and placed it under the fender lip and told me to yank.

Obviously I yanked it like a scared little girl because he pushed me aside and really tugged on it. It made a popping sound but it worked. Did not damage a thing just persuaded the aluminum to widen it.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

when I ordered my NT03's they were listed as +38's but they say +40 on the wheel. This would be the same as the RPF1. The difference (as i was told) between the RPF1 and the NT03 is the amount of backspacing required to clear the caliper. But from what you're telling me...the RPF1 might actually have MORE clearance than compared the NT03.

Another thought that I had...
Was to get the custom 23mm spacer as you suggested...but take an angle grinder to my caliper and clearance it a bit I have brownbo's already, so it would be a good excuse to repaint my calipers. Of course I realize the safety concern of grinding your calipers...and I don't know how much meat that part of the caliper has. So...with all that said... it is a thought. You would need to remove about 1mm of caliper with a 23mm spacer for the NT03's to have the suggested clearance from brembo...yet be 2mm closer to tucking inside the fenders.

NOTE: I rubbed today a bit in the front during very hard braking before entering a corner (rubbed on turn in)
Old Apr 19, 2009, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Im preparing myself for a lot of speculation that using a 20mm Project Kics spacer w/ a 3mm thin spacer would be a bad idea, but Ill throw that out there, is that a reasonable way to go? because its that or a 25mm and I am getting increasingly worried about fitting these with the stock fenders...

No way in hell Id grind those calipers, that seems like an awful idea...

Where did you rub? fender or wheel well? Also, you are at 3 deg camber but how low?

I am starting to think maybe a roll in front and just cut the rears and epoxy some support around the wheel arch. I cant adjust camber in the rear w/ my coilovers can I? I think there is an eccentric nut on the lower control arm, but that cant be good for much regardless...

BTW the RPF1s are +38 not +40
Old Apr 19, 2009, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

This was a double post but Ill make good use of it, got any pictures?? Im not looking for sexy mountain shots but any close up technical shots of the wheel and fitment?

Last edited by Protostar1; Apr 19, 2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 02:57 AM

So what do we exactly need? The sellers and others who have 18x9.5 +38 rpf1 said 20mm was good enough, but then I keep seeing other factors being added that suggests a 25mm spacer.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by supremellama
So what do we exactly need? The sellers and others who have 18x9.5 +38 rpf1 said 20mm was good enough, but then I keep seeing other factors being added that suggests a 25mm spacer.
I can tell you from first hand experience, that unless there is huge variance in manufacturing technique, there is at best 1mm of clearance from the caliper with a 20mm spacer. IMO, you need at least a 23mm to have proper clearance. This kind of spacer doesn't really exist readily, so I think I will have to go with a 20mm + 3mm to get the 23mm.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 05:21 PM

Is the Ichicba 20mm Bolt-on spacers different from the project kics?
Old Apr 20, 2009, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

The 23mm spacer DOES exist. It's made by a company in california. (search custom wheel spacer) they're like the first one that shows up. I spoke with them at length about a 23mm spacer. It's what they do.

I'll take a bunch of pictures tonight to show you.

-Eric
Old Apr 20, 2009, 06:29 PM

Is it safe to do 20mm bolt on + 3mm or should I sell/return my 20mm and get the 23mm? Touge factory already shipped my order and I'm not sure if I can return them.

At the same time I'm glad this thread came up as I didn't even know about the 3mm clearance for the brembos. I don't want to take any chances should my rpf1's flex when I track.

I learn something everyday about my car on evoM...
Old Apr 21, 2009, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

I am running the 17x9 +35 RPF1, using an H&R 25mm spacer. Kyle at Hot Lap Motorsports sold me the set. He was using the NT03 as a track wheel with the same spacer, so I knew it was quality. I can't speak for Project Kics/Ichiba/Fred from wheeladapter, but having run the H&R spacer on multiple track days and highway use, I can't imagine running anything else. I think running 23mm is still cutting it too close, and adding spacers on top of each other seems like a poor idea. Instead of getting a custom 23mm spacer, I would sell the spacer you are currently using and purchase a H&R 25mm. Please post pictures of your new setup, I have been curious about 18" fitment in your specs. If you need anything, PM me.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

I agree that a 20 + 3 spacer setup isnt a great idea... I am returning the 20mm one for a custom made 23mm spacer by Fred Groeske (he is in Cali if thats who you meant Eric).

I do not see why 23mm would be too close. That would make the caliper clearance 3mm+ exceeding Brembos safety requirements. If you have a rim flexing more than 3mm at the hub, you are screwed in more way than one. If you are talking about something else VooDoo, please elaborate. I would like to get the right spacer this time around... BTW you are at +35 vs. +38 so shouldn't you have 3mm more cleance than I do with the +38 assuming the mating face is the place?
Old Apr 21, 2009, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Protostar1
I agree that a 20 + 3 spacer setup isnt a great idea... I am returning the 20mm one for a custom made 23mm spacer by Fred Groeske (he is in Cali if thats who you meant Eric).

I do not see why 23mm would be too close. That would make the caliper clearance 3mm+ exceeding Brembos safety requirements. If you have a rim flexing more than 3mm at the hub, you are screwed in more way than one.
TRUF! It was motorsport-tech.com I would never stack two spacers...I'm not sure the hubcentric ring has enough contact to actually center the wheel if you put another spacer on top of it. (a 3mm spacer with No/ hubcentric ring)

Sorry I haven't taken any pics...my car is getting the windshield replaced, dents popped out, jdm 7 tail lights darkened (pink -> red), and then buffed

I'll be sure to take an excessive amount of pictures of the fitment when I get it back.

Quick Reply: 3mm wheel spacer/ RPF1s