Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

3mm wheel spacer/ RPF1s

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2009, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3mm wheel spacer/ RPF1s

Okay, so I just got my 18x9.5+38 RPF1s today. I test fit with my 20mm Project Kics spacer on the front and they are daaaaamn close... Like <1mm clearance between the spokes and the caliper. There is no way in hell that 18mm spacers would clear. Also, the rear rims are pretty close to the rear trailing arm and I am worried with 265 NT05s they might rub, doubtful, but it would be close. Anyway, my question:

I need some very small spacers to give a few more mm of clearance. I think I would really like 2mm but 3mm seems more common. T1R makes a set that are 3mm but they are 75$ a pair... a bit pricey. Also, I would really like the spacer to be solid and made for a 5x114.3 bolt pattern, not one of those universal jobs. Let me know if you guys have heard of some good ones or if you have any to sell! Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2009, 09:27 PM

I know CCW wheels makes custom spacers...
Old Apr 18, 2009, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

any idea how much?
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:15 PM

I think Discount Tire did this for me once, I don't think they made it though
Old Apr 18, 2009, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I used some Ichiba 25mm front spacers and left no spacer in the rear. I run 265/35/18's the rears will clear just fine.

NOTE: I rolled front and rear.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

25mm would clear the calipers no problem, but then you will start to run into the fender even more than already is the case. Also, I have the 20mm and I dont think I can exchange them... How much work did you have to do on the fronts to get it to fit? I was hoping to just have to deal with the rears... Thanks for the info though.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

I did the same thing. I bought 20mm spacers and they didn't clear. I used mic'd washers to see what I needed for spacers. Turns out that I needed 23mm spacers at minimum. Brembo suggests a minimum of 3mm clearance between the wheel and the caliper. Therefor I got the 25mm spacer.

I did a gentle roll on the fronts and rear. I didn't squish them flat... Just did a real smooth roll and kept a close eye on the paint. I was VERY VERY VERY careful on the rears due to seeing a local owner buckle the crap out of his quarter. If you want... I could talk you through the roll I did. PM me for my phone. I have to baby sit some FSAE kids tomorrow morning.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 06:19 AM

So 265/35/18 tires that run wide won't fit with just 20mm spacers in the front? Doh! I was hoping to run star specs on my car. Already ordered the parts after reading so much, wish this came up before I ordered the spacers.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

It's not that the tires don't fit. The wheel hits the caliper with a 20mm spacer.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 06:29 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Project Kics!! Best Spacers you can ever get.

Search up on it...[:
Old Apr 19, 2009, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Domolution
Project Kics!! Best Spacers you can ever get.

Search up on it...[:
I already have Project Kics, thanks for reading...
Old Apr 19, 2009, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
I did the same thing. I bought 20mm spacers and they didn't clear. I used mic'd washers to see what I needed for spacers. Turns out that I needed 23mm spacers at minimum. Brembo suggests a minimum of 3mm clearance between the wheel and the caliper. Therefor I got the 25mm spacer.

I did a gentle roll on the fronts and rear. I didn't squish them flat... Just did a real smooth roll and kept a close eye on the paint. I was VERY VERY VERY careful on the rears due to seeing a local owner buckle the crap out of his quarter. If you want... I could talk you through the roll I did. PM me for my phone. I have to baby sit some FSAE kids tomorrow morning.
23mm doesnt surprise me, I am baffled by people who say an 18mm could work... no way. I will try to switch out the 20 for a 25 as I think that is the most cost effective and safest route. But if I cannot return it... I guess Ill drop the cash on the T1Rs to hit the 23mm mark.

How much camber are you running? Coilovers? I am approximately going to be a "2 finger" gap at the front (25 and 3/4 in from ground through wheel center to the top of the fender) and running -2.5 deg camber. I am just assessing if yours fits due to camber or it will also fit on my application.

Unfortunately I do not have a roller. I was probably looking for a local shop to do it for me.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

The best spacers, I run 'em, (used on Porsche race cars as well).

Fred Groeske: http://www.wheeladapter.com/ Tell him the specs, he can make wheel and hubcentric spacers out of aluminum for ANY car and guarantees no issues whatsoever (lifetime guarantee actually!).
Old Apr 19, 2009, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

I would be wary of using a 23mm spacer as you don't have the necessary clearance between the caliper and wheel as REQUIRED by brembo. Given you run the 18" size of the RPF1...there have been second hand stories from several suspension guru's who will remain un-named that the RPF1 has quite a bit of deflection under load and CAN CAUSE wheel to caliper contact resulting in a catastrophic failure.

I run neg. 3 degrees of camber
Old Apr 19, 2009, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
I would be wary of using a 23mm spacer as you don't have the necessary clearance between the caliper and wheel as REQUIRED by brembo. Given you run the 18" size of the RPF1...there have been second hand stories from several suspension guru's who will remain un-named that the RPF1 has quite a bit of deflection under load and CAN CAUSE wheel to caliper contact resulting in a catastrophic failure.

I run neg. 3 degrees of camber
I am at between 1mm and 0.5mm of clearance from the caliper as it sits. Why do you think another 3mm of spacer would not get the job done? Also, if my rims are deflecting more than 3mm that close to the hub... there are some serious other problems...

Quick Reply: 3mm wheel spacer/ RPF1s