Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Shaky steering wheel, different tire sizes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2009, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaky steering wheel, different tire sizes

I'm not sure if having 1 235/45/17 and 3 245/45/17 would make the steering wheel shake.

I bought my car in march. Just noticed that the steering wheel shakes/vibrates (not violently) at highway speeds 60-70. I did an alignment and wheel balance and rotation.

After the rotation, the 2 tires one 245 and one 235 are in the front now, they also have noticeably more tread than the ones in the back (two 245s). It veers to the left just a little when i take my hand off the wheel or maybe the road's just not flat here in virginia.

I also found out the car was offroaded when a guy recognized my car in an autox in richmond, va I did yesterday. Guy said he did all the aftermarket (greddy exhaust, hks instake, taillights) stuff for his friend that owned the evo.

Thanks, I hope it's just the tires and not something bent in the suspension.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

diffrent size tires have been known to destroy diffs so I would get rid of the 1 or change the 3.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by slvrr
diffrent size tires have been known to destroy diffs so I would get rid of the 1 or change the 3.
Yup, I was told that by a friend of mine as it's constantly making the differentials work.

This car blew my mind when I first bought it lol.
High hp - never had a car this fast
AWD
Turbo
Ginormous spoiler in the middle of the rear view
Seksiness
Aftermarket support
Ridiculous amount of info to read on evoM
Old Apr 27, 2009, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-vehicles.html

Totally different heights - not wise.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 10:21 AM

my car is only fwd and i have 225/40/18s allaround. I notticed that my steering wheel shakes around 50-60 mph too.

i have Falken 912s in the front, but recently bought some BFG for the rear in 225/40 also. Since they are technically the same size i figuered its no big deal, but I notticed the sidewall profile looks considerably thinner on the BFG's.

can this cause my steering wheel to shake if all of or certain tires sidewall height is different?

Last edited by Neteru; Apr 28, 2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-vehicles.html

Totally different heights - not wise.
Yep, read that.

And the car came with BFG G-force. Going to hold off on driving the car any further until I get my rpf1's and tires.
Old May 1, 2009, 01:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not the best idea to mix/match sizes on the car. I'd get a full set of the same size and brand then go get an alignment. Will help tire wear and set the car right again.
Old May 1, 2009, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

To replace the one to make it match the other three will be $200 well spent. You dont want a new differential do you? Well unless you want a fancy pants Quailfe (sp?) diff...
Old May 2, 2009, 05:59 AM

Thing is, the tires are already worn out. I already ordered a set of RPF1s from gruppe-s and just waiting atm. If that doesn't solve the problem...something was bent since I found out my car was offroaded. Who offroads this beautiful piece of machinery!?!?!

Originally Posted by Protostar1
To replace the one to make it match the other three will be $200 well spent. You dont want a new differential do you? Well unless you want a fancy pants Quailfe (sp?) diff...
Old May 5, 2009, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

I would not drive the car as much as possible until you get new tires...better safe than sorry!
Old May 6, 2009, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whoa. Sad that someone would actually put different size tires anywhere on an Evo (with the exception of people who calculate identical overall diameter) let alone two different fronts, ANd sell one like that! I hope you got a smoking deal on it, and the seller told you about the different size tires and said not to drive it.

either way, STOP driving the car immediately, and put aside or start saving at least $1k for your drivetrain, because there is no telling how long it has been driven with stupid stuff like this. If you think you might need to replace your clutch anytime soon, that will be a good time to replace your diff.

Listen for the TCase whine of death. If you start to hear it, get ready for the aforementioned work.
Old May 8, 2009, 12:45 PM

I've already changed the stock clutch to an exedy stage 4 twin. When I drive other people's car I feel like I'm gonna smash my foot through their floor.

The car's been quiet so far with the exception of a squeak coming from one of the pulleys (there's a thread here somewhere about that, seems to be common) during cold weather, but goes away after engine warms up. The only thing I don't baby about my cars is washing lol.

But yeah, it's taking ages, IMO, to get my rpf1's so I can slap on new tires on this bad bish. I drive it once a week to go to wal-mart just so stuff is circulated and get those rust off the rotor after some mad rain-age here in VA.

So many plans...taking so long to get parts.
Old May 8, 2009, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not safe for long period's bro dont drive until you get it all sorted out