Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Q: How much does toe change with camber change?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2009, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q: How much does toe change with camber change?

Just a curiosity question that some with camber plates may know the answer to. Say you set the toe to 0 at -1 camber. Then you up the camber to -2 or -3. By how much does the toe change as a result of the camber change?

I know it will be different on different cars, hence the EVO specific question.

Thanks.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes it does. I don't know by how much, but enough to where it will kill your tires.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Yes it does. I don't know by how much, but enough to where it will kill your tires.
Yep. Everything posted here on the forums say a small tweak to the camber is a huge change in toe.

For reference on too much toe - a buddy of mine chunked off a brand new RA1 in 1 day. He had no idea why just 1 tire wore through; then he checked his toe using the string method and seen he had about 1/4". That's all it took to ruin $235!
Old Apr 29, 2009, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
IIRC on my car it changed it like .4*/side, but it's been like 6 months.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not so much the amount as the direction. Adding negative camber adds toe IN. This will make the car turn in horribly.

The last I checked -2->-3 degrees of camber will take you from zero to 3/8" in.

d

EDIT: this is of course the opposite of the subarus which toe out.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

I have a question to add to this thread seeings how there seems to be some people with experience in this area responding:

Has anyone ever measured how much toe change you get per rotation of the tie rod?

My interest in this stems from my want to change toe while at the track or autocross with minimal tools and time. I normally align with zero toe all around for the street and put marks on the tie rod where "zero" is. So at the track if I determine I'd like some toe out, I can shorten the left and right tie rods by an equal amount (usually measured in 1/6th's of turns since the tie rod has six sides on the adjuster and it's easy to eyeball) to play with to changes. Then at the end of the day turn them both back to my zero toe setting and drive off.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 29, 2009, 02:41 PM

I know I have the numbers at home, but I believe it's about 3.3/16" toe change for one turn of the tie rod. It's a lot easier to just adjust one side and have the steering wheel be a little crooked during the event.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Caffeine Slug
I know I have the numbers at home, but I believe it's about 3.3/16" toe change for one turn of the tie rod. It's a lot easier to just adjust one side and have the steering wheel be a little crooked during the event.
Why is that? It takes about 30 seconds per side to loosen the jam bolts, slightly turn the tie rod in the proper direction, and retorque the jam bolt.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 02:28 PM

Then by all means go ahead. It's just one more thing to remember to do (and then un-do at the end of the day).

At one time or another I've forgotten to do just about everything possible when going from a street to autocross setup and back. Simpler is better for me. The crooked wheel is a nice reminder I've forgotten to change the toe before the drive home (or adjusted it the wrong way!).
Old Apr 30, 2009, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

How crooked does the wheel get with one turn of the tie rod? 1-2 degrees? I would have figured it be almost negligible.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by xtnct
How crooked does the wheel get with one turn of the tie rod? 1-2 degrees? I would have figured it be almost negligible.
Hey, a lot of folks have gievn you good advice. I'll kind of sum it up...if it were easy and little adjustments didn't make that much difference we would all do alignments in our garages. If you mess with it( alignments) you will continue to do so and finally--in the end it will be back at the shop. In my experience even setting the adjustments "back" where you had them originally --doesnt work..something is always out, car pulls, steering wheel is crooked, and sometimes it the little things---I hate a crooked wheel or a car that pulls even a little bit... If you dont believe it...try it and reread this in a week.
Old May 1, 2009, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by xtnct
One turn on one tie rod, not that much. I use over 3 turns though, so it starts to add up.

Get a set of toe plates so you can check it occasionally. Over time it will usually go out of alignment, so you'll have to reset it.
Old May 2, 2009, 12:10 PM

or just get an aggressive alignment done, tell them what you want and theyll do it for you. camber change effects toe, not vice versa, but you cant change your camber and not fix your toe