Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

ABS ring tooth question. should any be missing??

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2009, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS ring tooth question. should any be missing??

using a friend's profile 'cause i can't post in this area:

the car is an '06 MR. the previous owner smacked a curb with the RR wheel. since then, the ABS has been messed up.

what i've done so far:

if you drive the car, the ABS kicks on as soon as you touch the brake pedal. you can feel/hear the system working.
after about three stops (or one, long one), the ABS system kicks off and the light comes on in the cluster.
i've resorted to removing the fuse because this process repeats itself each time the car is started and driven.

i pulled off the sensor and it had what looked like a tooth from the axle stuck to the magnet portion. okay. simple explanation?

so.. then i looked at the ABS ring. one of the teeth were bent. hmm... upon rotating the wheel, there were three teeth.... three missing... three more teeth.... eight missing (just an example). the ABS ring on the driver's side has teeth all the way around. the passenger axle was missing teeth... but none of them looked to be BROKEN.

so:

should there be teeth all the way around?

would the ONE bent tooth cause the problem (we think "yes")?

can the ring be replaced separate from the axle?

any help would be appreciated. we've been searching for an hour and either need to learn what this search engine needs to work right, or we can't find any threads like this.

please help! new Evo owner trying to get this thing all legal and running!! i'm tempted to pull the light bulb from the cluster... but this car as to pass a brake/light inspection. i'm sure the know, when you turn the car on, the ABS light should come on at first.

thanks in advance, guys.
Old May 1, 2009, 03:15 AM

Yes. ABS wheel sensors are A/C generators. If a tooth is missing/broken, it can't switch polarity and will cause problems
Old May 1, 2009, 10:36 AM

K. So I need an ABS ring. Blech. Hopefully the sensor is okay. Thanks!