Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Looking for rear DD pads for my Performance Friction 97 Track Pads

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2009, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for rear DD pads for my Performance Friction 97 Track Pads

My DD is headed to the track (road course) and I need to decide which brake pads to go with.

The DD currently wears the GiroDisc Magic Pads, basically a cost effective OEM replacement:

http://www.girodisc.com/catalog/prod...0376beaf9902b9

These pads are not suitable for lapping days so I will be installing the Performance Friction 97 pads for track duty up front:

http://www.gtworx.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=1185

So I will buy the rear Performance Friction 97 pads to match the fronts if I have to but...

I was told by a track buddy, I could get away with purchasing a more aggressive street pad (as compared to the stock-like Magic Pads) in the rear and just run that 24/7 so long as it can handle a little more heat than the Magic Pads (the rear pads don't get nearly as much heat or exert as much stopping power as the front when braking hard at the track, but it will be more than street).

This would save me 50% of the time it takes to swap out pads for track days!

The kicker is....according to my buddy, the do-it-all pads I'd select for the rear need similar bite (torque?) as compared to the Performance Friction 97s up front to keep the car balanced.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? thx.
Old May 6, 2009, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Unfortunately, racing pad manufactures keep their drag coefficients under tight wraps. Based on what PF gives us on the 97s and what I have heard from other drivers. The bite is in the .5-.6 range.

My suggestions:
Ferodo DS2500: 100-1000F, .50 drag coefficient
Axxis Ultimates (ULT): 0-932F, .40 to .49 drag coefficient (true number unknown)

Rears do not see as much heat as the front. So the key is to make how they bite. If too much front - then the rear will rotate around (thats bad).
Old May 6, 2009, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Hrmm, the Performance Friction Z-Rated Pads are cheaper than the Ferodo 2500s for a heavy duty street pad. Only question is, an the Z-rated handle 1000 degrees just like the 2500s? Can't find any specs on them.
Old May 6, 2009, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Hrmm, this guy tested the Z-rated pads vs. the 2500s with telemetry and the Z-rated won out!!!

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tunin...telemetry.html
Old May 7, 2009, 03:05 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Ill be on the road today - maybe try to email PF to see if they will release the MOT and drag coef for the Z pad?

I'll update the brake thread if you find it.
Old May 7, 2009, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bster13
Hrmm, the Performance Friction Z-Rated Pads are cheaper than the Ferodo 2500s for a heavy duty street pad. Only question is, an the Z-rated handle 1000 degrees just like the 2500s? Can't find any specs on them.
I ran the PF Z-pads in the front - stockers in the rear - when I first started tracking. They are a good aggressive street - light track type pad. I'd say really good for a beginner. Without knowing the exact numbers, I'd say they'd be a good choice.

Btw, they I don't think they make PF 97's all around for our car anymore... The jump up to the PFC01 is a big jump, and it's definitely track only (make to/from track if you have to).
Old May 7, 2009, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

boomn29 u may be on to something here....

I finally decided to purchase PFC 97s front and rear for the track, just to cover my bases, but when I saw your post, I just called Performance Friction and they stated:

1) Not a good idea to run their Z-rated pad in the rear with PFC 97s up front. Will mess up brake bias as the Z-rated pads don't have the bite the PFC 97s do up front.

2) Performance Friction stated that they are not currently making the 97s, they are contemplating another production run, but some vendors may have 97s still in stock.

2) He stated if the part # a vendor quotes me ends in '.11' that is the wrong pad, that's the Z-rated street pads. If a vendor quotes me a pad ending in '.10' then that is the true Performance Friction 97 pads:

http://www.performancefriction.com/p...2.0&fueldel=FI

Well my vendor did just that. The part # ends in .11

....so this has me worried I would not be receiving the correct pads. I emailed my vendor to "come clean." We'll c.
Old May 8, 2009, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Hi!

I have use front PFC97 and rear Axxis Ultimates as my track pads for my stock evo/street tire setup. I have only done two days of track time on that setup, but I am happy so far. It does not feel like the rear brakes are so different from the front that I am risking a spin under braking.

I have another two days at the track coming up soon. I'll keep you posted on how those days go.

Oh - I have tried driving with this pad setup on the street, and it works OK but you do need to plan you stops a bit more in advance. Also, the brake dust on the PFC97, turns into a crusty rust if you don't clean it off after every track day. If you want your track wheels to stay pretty, plan on washing them down the same evening that they come back from the track. I am still looking around for a good, clearcoat safe wheel cleaner which will make the task easier.
Old May 11, 2009, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

So I just put another 2 days on my PFC97 front/Axxis Ultimate rear brake setup and I am happy with the combination of pads. This event was encouraging trail braking and even with braking under turning I never had to worry about my front/rear pads biting differently and upsetting the car.

If you are still looking for rear pads you could do worse than the Axxis Ultimates!
Old May 25, 2009, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 286bhp
This event was encouraging trail braking
Sounds like you were at Watkins Glen with GVC BMWCCA? The grey MR, right? I was there and totally cooked my pads - Hawk HP+ all around. By the time I left my front rotors had uneven pad deposits and the rears were looking dark.

Based on recommendations from friends, I went with the PFC-97 front pads and am facing the same dilemma of what to team them up with on the rears. I'm going to try Racing Brake's ET800 rear pads (supposedly good up to 1400F). What I don't know and this thread has highlighted is the torque value of the ET800 pads.

The PFC-97 pads have totally rehabbed my front rotors. I let a buddy co-drive my Evo at a Boston BMWCCA autocross at Devens yesterday, and by the end of our second runs, the brake shudder was gone. Looking at the rotors, they were shiny again. Just wondering how rotor-friendly these pads will prove over the course of a full season of autocrossing and HPDEs.

Last edited by EJEvo; May 25, 2009 at 07:22 PM. Reason: complete a sentence
Old May 25, 2009, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't necessarily agree with your friend but consider RacingBrake 800 rears and you can use them for street and track due to their temp thresholds and related performance. Ds2500's aren't a bad idea either. Also remember to carry an extra set of front pads and rears at your discretion, as they will outlast your fronts at a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio most likely.
Old May 26, 2009, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EJEvo
The PFC-97 pads have totally rehabbed my front rotors. I let a buddy co-drive my Evo at a Boston BMWCCA autocross at Devens yesterday, and by the end of our second runs, the brake shudder was gone. Looking at the rotors, they were shiny again.
I used the PFC-97s at an autocross too, but they did not get warm enough to bite comfortably until I was 1/3 of the way through the course. As they are track pads, not autox pads, I this should not be surprising...

I feel like I would have done better with a street focused pad.