Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Anyone Here Drive Without Power Steering & or Power Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2009, 03:38 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone Here Drive Without Power Steering & or Power Brakes?

Back in the day when I learned to drive stick the car was without power steering and power brakes, I remember the steering had a better stiffer feeling.

Im wondering if any EVO owner here removed the power steering and power brakes, how does she react with those items removed?
Any input would be appreciated
Old May 16, 2009, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think on most modern cars this was be suicidal except on a extremely lightened track only vehicle.
Old May 16, 2009, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure how it is on an Evo, but I picked up a '91 Celica as my beater car/DD and the p/s pump is shot so I have no power steering. Honestly, its not that great at all. The improvement in feel is minor, but it probably differs from car to car. Either way, its no fun whatsoever when you're going slow, and the Celica weighs about 400/500 pounds less than an Evo.

Oh yeah, if you have back/neck problems this will aggravate them. I get a pinched nerve in my neck just from driving sometimes.

Last edited by abevAWD; May 16, 2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old May 17, 2009, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

if you want the experience of it cut the ignition off with it in neutral coming into a corner while in a braking zone.... lol not fun with the cars rack the way it is with a short lock to lock it makes steering it without power steering even more difficult....
Old May 17, 2009, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

without p/s I'd say you need a little more effort to steer, I remember on the integras no p/s=no problem driving, compared my old eclipse no p/s=a PITA to drive around, and no power brakes makes it even worse lol I wouldn't recommend trying it either
Old May 17, 2009, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
With the Evo's steering ratio it would really suck w/o the power pump. As for removing the power brakes...have fun crashing
Old May 17, 2009, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

LOL, this reminds me of high school. I had an 81 F250 with no PS. Good times.
Old May 17, 2009, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Seriously? It would probably react like a cinder block. This isn't a 1987 Nissan P/U.
Old May 18, 2009, 03:18 AM
Account Disabled

anyone with first hand experience in a EVO only?
Old May 18, 2009, 03:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
anyone with first hand experience in a EVO only?
Had a leak in the vacuum and the car used to stall now and then. Not fun. Feels like trying to steer a truck. (Full weight evo etc.)

It's awful.
Old May 19, 2009, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

I have driven cars with no power steering, its only a bother at slow speeds. Once your moving its not any more effort, but feels much more direct.

My friend just did it on his rx7, and it drives pretty awesome.

I think that cutting the ignition mid corner it not going to give an accurate representation of no power steering.

I like to hear some first hand experience as well.
Old May 20, 2009, 05:23 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by evremonde
I have driven cars with no power steering, its only a bother at slow speeds. Once your moving its not any more effort, but feels much more direct.

My friend just did it on his rx7, and it drives pretty awesome.

I think that cutting the ignition mid corner it not going to give an accurate representation of no power steering.

I like to hear some first hand experience as well.
yes correct, I remember even parallel parking is no big deal as long as the car is moving, even very slow the steering moves rather easily.
I wanted to know more if my EVO has no power steering will the steering be more precise and better feel??
Old May 20, 2009, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

The problem is that most cars that come without power steering have a steering rack designed for that purpose with a quicker steering ratio because you have the power assisting you. A non-power rack can give you more feel but the trade off is that you have a slower ratio so your inputs need to be bigger to get the same result at the wheel. Driving a car with a p/s rack without power is doable but a lot more effort is required to turn the wheel. I agree that the evo could use a stiffer feel in the wheel but I would try using a steering quickener rather than removing the power assist.

Power brake assist is along the same lines, the braking system is designed for power assist and has a different master cylinder than cars w/o power brakes. Again you could drive the car without it but I have no idea why anyone would want to since the amount of pedal pressure needed to stop would be immense.
Old May 20, 2009, 04:44 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by sscottttt
The problem is that most cars that come without power steering have a steering rack designed for that purpose with a quicker steering ratio because you have the power assisting you. A non-power rack can give you more feel but the trade off is that you have a slower ratio so your inputs need to be bigger to get the same result at the wheel. Driving a car with a p/s rack without power is doable but a lot more effort is required to turn the wheel. I agree that the evo could use a stiffer feel in the wheel but I would try using a steering quickener rather than removing the power assist.

Power brake assist is along the same lines, the braking system is designed for power assist and has a different master cylinder than cars w/o power brakes. Again you could drive the car without it but I have no idea why anyone would want to since the amount of pedal pressure needed to stop would be immense.

thanks for your more detailed response, my main idea was to remove the power steering completely, this of course will increase my steering effort significantly, i have no question with that anymore. the steering quickener you mention what I noticed will probably work with some better tires. when I replaced my OEM with cheaper tires, they slowed down my steering dramatically.

lets not talk about removal of power brakes anymore, I agree totally that more effort is no good.
I still feel that no power steering will benefit overall response, but im not sure who she'll respond

bump for a EVO owner with no power steering for a real first hand response (say that ten times fast)
Old May 21, 2009, 12:03 AM
Evolved Member

Ok, well I had no power steering in my evo for about 2 months as I was rebuilding my bottom end and motor was out, and while it was out, the power steering lines got air in them so there was basically a big air pocket inside there when I put everything back together. Needless to say, right when I got in the car, it sucked! Turning at slow speeds required some work and was pretty tiring after a while. At higher speeds, not so bad. Tried bleeding the system two times and nothing happened, and then one last time, and it worked, so I guess third time's the charm. But yea, it sucked, def. not fun in a daily driver.

Quick Reply: Anyone Here Drive Without Power Steering & or Power Brakes?