Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

RPF1s and NT05s Pics!

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2009, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeaa i agree with protostar1 here...

there's no point ruining a set of tires just to look better, but at the expense of the tires!
Especially if it's being used as a daily...

They should design tires that are 'flat' so you can run camber on them, but the wear on the tire is still even across the whole tire.... now thats a food for thought
Old May 18, 2009, 05:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Edi-no-son
yeaa i agree with protostar1 here...

there's no point ruining a set of tires just to look better, but at the expense of the tires!
Especially if it's being used as a daily...

They should design tires that are 'flat' so you can run camber on them, but the wear on the tire is still even across the whole tire.... now thats a food for thought
Then you would need even more camber to get the same effect

Nice idea, but think it through and I think you will see why that won't work
Old May 18, 2009, 06:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice Cobra!
Old May 18, 2009, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack.
Nice Cobra!
Thanks! It's a Factory Five Racing 65 Roadster and it is a lot of fun.

You all at Tirerack need to carry NT05s and some bigger RPF1s cause you were my first choice but had neither!

Last edited by Protostar1; May 18, 2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old May 18, 2009, 01:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I hear ya!
Old May 18, 2009, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Any more advice on the rubbing? I havnt been working on the car as I just had surgery, but I am trying to get a game plan for this weekend when I will be back up and running. Assuming even with proper camber and a roll and pull, the front fender is still not wide enough, does anyone have a recommended wide replacement fender? Who to buy from? Thanks guys!
Old May 18, 2009, 06:48 PM

Those are some awesome wheels! I wanted those in black in that size also...but I opted for the silver for now. I also want to run 265/35/18, but real worried about how much the tire sticks out with those 23mm spacers in the front.

I followed your thread about the 3mm clearance. Planning to sell my 20mm front spacers now lol, don't want to take any chances.

I hope my local shop can help me out with what you're having as I might have that in the future...or I can go 255/40/18.
Old May 18, 2009, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by supremellama
Those are some awesome wheels! I wanted those in black in that size also...but I opted for the silver for now. I also want to run 265/35/18, but real worried about how much the tire sticks out with those 23mm spacers in the front.

I followed your thread about the 3mm clearance. Planning to sell my 20mm front spacers now lol, don't want to take any chances.

I hope my local shop can help me out with what you're having as I might have that in the future...or I can go 255/40/18.
If you are going with the same effective offset (+38 -23 = +15) I seriously doubt a 255 is going to help you on the rubbing or fender clearance. We are talking at MOST 5mm saved on the outside edge, now subtract the stretching caused by the same sized rim cutting into that 5mm savings and manufacturer sizing difference (NT05s do not come in 255/35(or40)-18) and you are not saving much. Unless there is a huge price break, go 265! And that means I would have a brother in arms to bounce ideas off of if you have an identical setup
Old May 18, 2009, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks good man i want a set of these wheels
Old May 19, 2009, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
FWIW, I run -3+ in front and either -2 or -1.5 in the rear all the time. I got 9k miles out of my star specs before they were below the wear bars (this is daily driving, autocross and track days).

I'm pleased with that.

And if you spent $1100 on those tires you got ripped. I paid $650 for my 245/40/18 NT05's and $40 to mount and balance them. 265/35/18s would have been about $100 more.
Old May 19, 2009, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
FWIW, I run -3+ in front and either -2 or -1.5 in the rear all the time. I got 9k miles out of my star specs before they were below the wear bars (this is daily driving, autocross and track days).

I'm pleased with that.

And if you spent $1100 on those tires you got ripped. I paid $650 for my 245/40/18 NT05's and $40 to mount and balance them. 265/35/18s would have been about $100 more.
9k miles is respectable. But FWIW, AMSs recommendation holds a lot more water than yours.

I would love to know where you got NT05s for $750 for 256/35-18s. Could this deal be replicated in Illinois? Were they road force balanced (not a big deal but a very accurate balancing tool)? If you got these from a guy who knows a guy, save it, most of us have to pay retail or something close to it for tires... NT05s in that size retail for something like $255 and with huge IL taxes, add another $100 something to the total.
Old May 20, 2009, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have yet to order my 23mm spacers (rocking 25mm atm)

You need to roll front and rear. It's very easy to get a lot of clearance with very little work or change of damaging your paint. Mine doesn't rub at all EXCEPT for the turning as you experience.

I notice it mostly in reverse because it grabs onto my side skirt and flaps it. I plan on putting some white paint in the inner fender and then finding where it's rubbing. I'll keep tabs on this thread so that we can figure out what exactly is causing the issue.

Can you PM the alignment you're currently running? thanks
Old May 20, 2009, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

You could go with a set of Chargespeed fenders that are +20mm wider and still pretty decent in price. Or go with a smaller spacer in the front. Maybe a +15mm or so. And honestly, you can run some more camber in the front and rear with minimal effects on the tires with the toe set at 0. If it were me, I'd cut or roll the rear fenders and try a smaller spacer up front being that the car is your DD.

On a side note, how do you like the NT-05's? How is the sidewall stiffness? I've been doing some reading and it's looking like I'm goin to buy a set for each of my money pits.
Old May 20, 2009, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Edit: double post

Last edited by evo 8 ya; May 20, 2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old May 20, 2009, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo 8 ya
You could go with a set of Chargespeed fenders that are +20mm wider and still pretty decent in price. Or go with a smaller spacer in the front. Maybe a +15mm or so. And honestly, you can run some more camber in the front and rear with minimal effects on the tires with the toe set at 0. If it were me, I'd cut or roll the rear fenders and try a smaller spacer up front being that the car is your DD.

On a side note, how do you like the NT-05's? How is the sidewall stiffness? I've been doing some reading and it's looking like I'm goin to buy a set for each of my money pits.
I was looking at the Chargespeed fenders, however, I decided to go with Evodave's stock fender mod kit. I talked to him yesterday, but have yet to get a confirmation on the order, I hope I get it in time for the weekend so I can have some time to mess with things. I think given the number of successes with that kit, its $72 well spent compared to $600+ on a set of new fenders with paint.

As for the spacer size, I don't have a choice. The high offset of the rim (+38) requires SUPPOSEDLY a 20mm spacer. From my experience, this is incorrect. A 23mm spacer is what is required to safely clear the Brembo caliper. The 3mm rear was more of a comfort thing as when I test mounted, the rim was very close to the rear trailing arm. This was my thread addressing this issue with the RPF1s if you would like to look:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...cer-rpf1s.html

As for the NT05s, as I posted earlier (I think) I had surgery on Monday and only put the tires on Saturday. I have only had one or two drives with the car as its sits (wrong alignment and running into all sorts of stuff). My initial impressions of the NT05s were good. The large front tires certainly want to straighten up more eagerly than with a 235, but I actually felt the ride was slightly LESS jarring. I am running stock air pressure (which will likely change) but I am going to attribute the marginally better ride over little bumps to the increased width. The bigger tire is effected less by the tiny rumble strips mother nature has put all over Illinois. I didn't want to hammer on anything with new tires, poor alignment, and fender issues, but I took it through a few light corners where my new coilover setup was getting the rear end to pick up a bit, and things were much smoother and more controlled. I will post more info when I get some more seat time with it.

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
I have yet to order my 23mm spacers (rocking 25mm atm)

You need to roll front and rear. It's very easy to get a lot of clearance with very little work or change of damaging your paint. Mine doesn't rub at all EXCEPT for the turning as you experience.

I notice it mostly in reverse because it grabs onto my side skirt and flaps it. I plan on putting some white paint in the inner fender and then finding where it's rubbing. I'll keep tabs on this thread so that we can figure out what exactly is causing the issue.

Can you PM the alignment you're currently running? thanks
I wouldn't bother with a new spacer unless you either don't like your 25 or you are having some 2mm clearance issues. I really need to get aligned correctly but have been told to stay out of a car until I am done with the hydrocodone sauce . Have you done anything to reduce the rubbing in the wheel well? I am thinking i will just have to go to work with a cutting wheel... My rears are not a big issue, in fact they may not even hit, but I will do something to make sure the clearance is there for the track.

Last edited by Protostar1; May 20, 2009 at 01:53 PM.

Quick Reply: RPF1s and NT05s Pics!