Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

RPF1s and NT05s Pics!

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2009, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RPF1s and NT05s Pics!

I finally had a set of 265/35-18 Nitto NT05s mounted to my powdercoated 18x9.5+38 Enkei RPF1s. I used 23mm Motorsport-tech custom adapters in the front and 3mm spacers in the rear.

As you can see, both spacers have centering rings (I highly recommend them). As such, I had to sand out the powdercoating layer because of how thick it was. I highly suggest a wire brush wheel for a drill, it made my life way easier than sanding that crap out.

As there are thieves everywhere, I am guessing someone will steal my nice valve stem caps. Anyone know where I can get more of these?

And here is how she sits right now:

These are a few pics of the wheel arch gap, or lack thereof:

Rear:

Front:

I am rubbing quite a bit on the inner wheel arch splash guards and down by the rocker panels. What have most of you guys done to fix the rubbing down there? I actually do not think I have any issues with the fender given my stiffness but I will still likely cut the rears just in case. I am rubbing at about 2/3- 3/4 of lock, sooo quite a bit of rubbing... any advice on making these fit better would be appreciated!

UPDATE-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is after the evodave fender mod. I really hope those CF or plastic brackets are reasonably tough because there is a decent amount of stress on them!

Overall, for $72, this is a good cheap way to widen your fenders. Parts of it were a bit of a pain to do given that you are trying to stretch an already bent panel into a new shape, but I got it done by myself without a ton of issues. The car is still not aligned so the camber is not correct, but the fenders are at the maximum flair.

Last edited by Protostar1; May 24, 2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old May 16, 2009, 05:22 PM

I was about to say before i got to the end... you gotta be rubbing!!

But nonetheless, love the fat look! Just gotta get rid of that rubbing issue and its perfect
Old May 16, 2009, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Hot! I love these wheels.
Old May 16, 2009, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
your evo looks great.... well except for the ziptied plate
Old May 16, 2009, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i wouldnt cut the fenders. i would just roll them and slightly pull them. add a little more negative camber also
Old May 16, 2009, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Those look sick, can't wait to get my 17in rpf's back from the powder coating.
Old May 16, 2009, 10:18 PM
BMS
Account Disabled

Looks sick!
Old May 16, 2009, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Very Ballerefic.
Old May 17, 2009, 12:18 AM
Evolving Member

are there any concerns with tempering of aluminum during the baking process in powdercoating?
Old May 17, 2009, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by braille
are there any concerns with tempering of aluminum during the baking process in powdercoating?
I believe powdercoats are baked at around 400-450 degrees for about 20min. (Someone correct me if I am wrong). I do not see anyway that this baking could impact the structure of the wheel when 1000+ degrees of brake heat does not...

As for the zipties... its alll for the ladies

Last edited by Protostar1; May 17, 2009 at 06:12 AM.
Old May 17, 2009, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You need more camber front and rear. -3 in the front and likely -2 in the rear.

You also should roll and pull the fenders in the rear and lightly pull them in the front (they're pretty much rolled already).

I'm not a fan of cutting the fenders since it leaves a sharp edge to slice tires. I'd rather rub on something smooth than something sharp!
Old May 17, 2009, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
You need more camber front and rear. -3 in the front and likely -2 in the rear.

You also should roll and pull the fenders in the rear and lightly pull them in the front (they're pretty much rolled already).

I'm not a fan of cutting the fenders since it leaves a sharp edge to slice tires. I'd rather rub on something smooth than something sharp!
Valid point about the slicing. My rears will be no problem whether I choose to cut the lip or roll it, I have reasonably good clearance even with the lip. However, my fronts present a number of issues. First, there is a good deal of outer tire rubbing (as in the face of the tire rubbing on the rear most part of the wheel well, I think I will be shaving a good deal of plastic there). Then there is the fender issue. Rolling would do nothing as goofygrin eluded too, but can I really pull the fender to gain about 10mm of clearance? The wheel itself sticks out 3/8 of an inch... As I said, I am more concerned with the rubbing if you guys have any brilliant ideas.

I have no desire to make my alignment fit my car, I will modify the car to fit the proper alignment. I got these big tires to run track days, auto x, light events, etc. and do not want to make my camber -3 or more to fix it. It should be noted that I am almost exactly where the stock geometry is until I get aligned next week. As in, including the lowered ride height, I am at about -1.5deg camber. I should end up at -2.5deg per AMSs specs. I am thinking that might alleviate my front fender issue but of course no rubbing issues. My coilovers are verrrrry close to the inner wheel well and more camber will make it worse. Anyone else have similar issues? What did you do to fix it?

Last edited by Protostar1; May 17, 2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old May 17, 2009, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're going to be on the track or autocross with this car, you're going to want more than -2* of camber. For the track, -3* seems to be a good place and for the autocross 3-4* seems to be a better places.

So even though you say you don't want to make the car fit the tires/wheels, but you need to set the car up for your intended purposes and it will make the tires/wheels fit better as a nice result.
Old May 17, 2009, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Protostar1
I am rubbing at about 2/3- 3/4 of lock, sooo quite a bit of rubbing... any advice on making these fit better would be appreciated!
I've been rubbing on the inner liner for over a year know at 3/4th+ lock with no real ill effects other than the slight rubbing sound. With a 265, it's going to rub somewhere, I don't think you can really do anything about it.

Last edited by RichC; May 17, 2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old May 17, 2009, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
If you're going to be on the track or autocross with this car, you're going to want more than -2* of camber. For the track, -3* seems to be a good place and for the autocross 3-4* seems to be a better places.

So even though you say you don't want to make the car fit the tires/wheels, but you need to set the car up for your intended purposes and it will make the tires/wheels fit better as a nice result.
The car is my daily driver and I am not going to burn down a set of $1100 tires running that kind of camber. I am using AMSs specs for an alignment that will put me nicely in between track and street. The camber issue is pretty much not up for debate. I am trying to figure out how to make what I have (probably a little more camber dialled in yet) fit, not a different spec.

Quick Reply: RPF1s and NT05s Pics!