Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

14kg front /16 kg rear coilover

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2009, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14kg front /16 kg rear coilover

I am considering buy a set of coilover with 14kg /16kg spring rate F/R(buddy club rate spec with swift springs) but was wondering how STIFF that's gonna be? I know those are track spec, I am kinda guy who would fall asleep if driving a stock ca on the freeway. But I would still like to know how stiff 14kg and 16kg is? Will the car slam and make a very loud noise when I go over the bump etc? I daily my evo.

Thx
Old Jun 5, 2009, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Say goodbye to your kidneys. Thats very stiff.

Whats the purpose for the rates (your plans)?
Old Jun 5, 2009, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

I run 16kgF/12KgR on Tein HT's. Not that stiff at highway speeds. Have double adjustable shocks, set at 8/8 F and 12/8R, Comp/Rebound. I like them. Not bad for daily driver. NOw, I just need swaybars...
Old Jun 5, 2009, 11:32 PM

Well the freeway around my area is a little bumpy due the way how there are many Fault lines are in southern cali. Even when I am running stock suspension now, it's a lil bumpy so not sure how it's gonna be like with the 14kg/16kg.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smike is correct.... 14/16 is crazy stiff.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

It def won't be comfortable. That said i run fairly stiff in my car and my kids (both of them) passed out in the back today.

It really comes down to what you are willing to tolerate. Personally I love competition and am willing to deal, if it was just a DD type thing I would def run softer.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by kekek
It def won't be comfortable. That said i run fairly stiff in my car and my kids (both of them) passed out in the back today.

It really comes down to what you are willing to tolerate. Personally I love competition and am willing to deal, if it was just a DD type thing I would def run softer.
hahaha

Actually I go to track once a while and go to canyon maybe 6-8 times a month. But the thing is there are also rocks and gravels + bumps on those canyon roads. So maybe 10kg /12kg?

and sometimes I drive my gf around , so she is probably gonna hate it.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

You also have to consider the dampers play a role in ride quality as well. On my car with Ohlins DFVs and 9k F / 11k R, the car rides slightly better than stock on the street. With good dampers (Koni, Ohlins, KW, AST) you could run 10k / 12k and it would probably be not much worse than stock, hypothetically. I don't know anything about the Buddy Club dampers, unfortunately, so I can't tell you if they would be "streetable" with stiffer rates.

That said, unless you're doing competitive autocross/time trial/road racing, there's no point at all to run uber-stiff rates. If you're just doing casual track days every once in a while, then err on the softer side. It doesn't make a lot of sense (to me, anyway) to have a car that's 90% street and 10% track, but have the suspension be 90% track and 10% street - especially if you aren't also considering changes to tires, brakes, or alignment. A stiffer setup will also be less forgiving at the limit and harder to learn on.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

IMO 10/12 is a great streetable and fun setup. Probably well balanced on the track and not too tail happy. For autox it will be a tad pushy, but easy to drive. If you intend to run anything other than street tires they will be a bit soft.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 09:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
What kind and size tires are you running and what's your experience level?

- Andrew
Old Jun 7, 2009, 09:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tougefreak
But the thing is there are also rocks and gravels + bumps on those canyon roads. So maybe 10kg /12kg?

and sometimes I drive my gf around , so she is probably gonna hate it.
rocks, gravel, big bumps would have me go less than 10/12 kg. can't help you with the gf though.....she might want AST coilovers custom valved for 5k/7k rates, bigger sway bars, and a whiteline roll center kit.

- drew
Old Jun 7, 2009, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
What kind and size tires are you running and what's your experience level?

- Andrew
I am currently running 255/35/18. I would say amateur level. I have no problem keeping up with my friend's SCCA prepared honda cup s2k(when I was running R compound tires) , and he was like 3rd place overall. But I am more like the driver type and not much experience on the mechanical side. The canyon road aren't too bad, just once a while after rain there will be rocks and the bumps aren't big jumps like the WRC.

Last edited by Tougefreak; Jun 7, 2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by spool_sample
You also have to consider the dampers play a role in ride quality as well. On my car with Ohlins DFVs and 9k F / 11k R, the car rides slightly better than stock on the street. With good dampers (Koni, Ohlins, KW, AST) you could run 10k / 12k and it would probably be not much worse than stock, hypothetically. I don't know anything about the Buddy Club dampers, unfortunately, so I can't tell you if they would be "streetable" with stiffer rates.
I agree. I ran a setup close to that stiff previously. And yeah, dampening does play a huge roll. Same goes with droop travel - meaning it's not slammed.

I ran it full soft when not on the track. I didn't DD the car, but I did drive it to/from the track. On interstates and good roads it's really negligible. If there was a raised overpass my butt would actually come off of the seat. If you still have the stock seat, it's not bad. Switching to a racing seat would make a larger more 'uncomfortable' long drive experience.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That stiff(14/16) is for butter smooth racetracks. Any track in Cali that is going to be high even. And forget about it on the street
Old Jun 8, 2009, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

If i remember right evolutionary was running 13/15 but that was on a perfectly valved set of ohlins...I myself wouldn't mind 12/14 on some jrz's or ohlins, but i just can't afford those yet.

Quick Reply: 14kg front /16 kg rear coilover