Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Whiteline vs. Energy suspension bushings - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2009 | 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

10k miles on mine Zeus, all is good. Might get worse as they age, but so far Im knocking on wood.
Old Jul 17, 2009 | 05:57 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

That's actually pretty damn good. Know "what" bushings you got? Just the "standard" yellow WL bushings?
Old Jul 19, 2009 | 10:56 PM

G'day everyone,

Well this thread has certainly got some attention, hope we can help.

TommiN, the Whiteline range is divided into 2 groups, the original Whiteline Flatout performance suspension range and the new Whiteline Plus bushing product. The Flatout offering covers performance enhancement with the heavy duty swaybars and alignment products like the roll centre kit offering the balanced solution for suspension tuning. The Plus brand, on the other hand, is a dedicated range of polyurethane replacement and enhancement bushings.

There are bushings in the Flatout range but that they are generally only offered where we can see a significant handling improvement available as a consequence of fitting less compliant bushings. In these cases, the duro (Durometer, hardness) and the design is matched to the specific function but with an emphasis on changing compliance in the plane or operation mode that will deliver the improvement while minimising NVH. The colour is almost always yellow.

I’ve already described the Plus range attributes but the colour has been chosen to deliver a “stock” or OEM look while the translucent nature of the material still offers a little something for those that don’t want pure black rubber look. Our Plus range is not impregnated with any specific lubricant (strangely I can’t see any mention of this on the web re other brands?) however we don’t have too many complaints about this and would expect that we’d perform pretty well in that respect.

Zeus, thanks for the support of the brand. I’d guess that your experience if mainly with the Flatout yellow product and largely with swaybars? Replacing bushings in trailing arms can be very effective but one needs to be careful to make sure that it doesn’t restrict the dynamic movement in multi-link systems that are designed to deliver active stability through toe change under brakes. This is an area that is often overlooked and can lead to some scary behaviour at the rear. As mentioned before, our range mainly spans the performance/street area and some compliance is important.

20psiMR, good feedback, nice to hear its working for you.

Anyway, hope that’s covered it, let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

Cheers
Whiteline Jim
www.whiteline.com.au

PS. There’s some more tech info about the bush philosophy here if https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ne...te=1&p=7289207
Old Jul 19, 2009 | 11:56 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Whiteline
Zeus, thanks for the support of the brand. I’d guess that your experience if mainly with the Flatout yellow product and largely with swaybars? Replacing bushings in trailing arms can be very effective but one needs to be careful to make sure that it doesn’t restrict the dynamic movement in multi-link systems that are designed to deliver active stability through toe change under brakes. This is an area that is often overlooked and can lead to some scary behaviour at the rear. As mentioned before, our range mainly spans the performance/street area and some compliance is important.
Jim,

No problem on the support. However, I was just stating my experiences, mostly good. Granted, those were with customers cars and not my own. Sadly, I don't have any of your products on my own Evo yet, but the a aforementioned Roll Center Correction kit is in my future.

The noise I was concerned with was with the Evo rear trailing arms...

Got a link to your new line? I don't want to get you in trouble with the site rules and vendor issues (giving out pricing), but as a manufacturer please point me to more information on the Whiteline Plus. Thanks

Last edited by Zeus; Jul 20, 2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2009 | 11:59 PM

I replaced mine with the ES Master Kit about 3k ago, was havin the mustache bar knock. All gone now and it made a huge difference in the handling. Took a little while but well worth the money and time.
Old Jul 21, 2009 | 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

750 miles on mine(es black) non stop in the last 3 days.

No noise. Awesome handling improvment -- dodged a groundhog at 70 ... didnt wanna lose part of a front bumper..
Old Jul 24, 2009 | 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
Just don't use the big fat donut bushing in the ES kit for the trailing end of the front arm.
I just wanted to point out -- now that I have installed them and seen how they were made, and had the car lined up.. YOU very much so want to install this large bushing.

leaving it out would leave your front end sloppy as hell compared to with it replaced.

The bushing wasnt designed by apes - some engineers really looked in to the position on the arm and how it was needed to move and how it needed to be held and the bushing they created is ideal.

As you can see - its not your typical solid bushing.
Old Jul 24, 2009 | 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

I would like to see pics of these items installed.

I'm surprised to hear people comment on the drastic change they made. Normally these things are less dramatic especially on newer cars.
Old Jul 24, 2009 | 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
I would like to see pics of these items installed.

I'm surprised to hear people comment on the drastic change they made. Normally these things are less dramatic especially on newer cars.
Pics of them installed?

Such as? -- My car is in the air right now getting the last of the front installed. I can snap a few pics if you like?

This is part of the rear end clunk fixer. I am in the process of doing the mustache one now.

And yes - they are less dramatic on newer cars - as their bushings are not nearly as worn as say - 60K later.. thats just common sense.

However - brand new - vs ES kit... you would still see a difference -- easily.
Old Jul 24, 2009 | 09:38 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by xRoguex
I just wanted to point out -- now that I have installed them and seen how they were made, and had the car lined up.. YOU very much so want to install this large bushing.

leaving it out would leave your front end sloppy as hell compared to with it replaced.

The bushing wasnt designed by apes - some engineers really looked in to the position on the arm and how it was needed to move and how it needed to be held and the bushing they created is ideal.
I don't remember my early set being cut like yours (04'?)... just straight through. I'll have to look at them again (if I remember in the morning). Maybe it's something they addressed, or I'm just getting way too old. Regardless, I believe it was RobiSpec who first looked at them and said that the ES kits appeared to not address the proper range of motion as the OE one does. You got any pics of the OE unit before it was removed?
Old Jul 24, 2009 | 09:42 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

IIRC, the OE unit actually had a spherical bearing incased in a rubber surround. Again, we're talking about my failing memory here, so bear with me. If that were the case, the OE unit would have much more usable/precise range of movement than a poly piece. It would not bind up. Now if I'm in error on my memory...
Old Jul 25, 2009 | 12:21 AM
Evolved Member

I already dropped them off to be pressed.

And yes - the stock one would flop all around by hand. What the ES ones do is allow the same range, but at much greater forces required. Keeping the wheel planted just like it was before the "shock" or turn or what ever happened etc... if you follow.

I called ES and talked to them about it. =) They said I wasnt the first. The actual AMOUNT of bushing that is cut back, the angle at which its cut, and the remaining amount that is present is all planned and calculated based on the amount it will allow the joint to flex.
Old Jul 25, 2009 | 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

I'm waiting for the black ES kit to be restocked by JSC. Can't wait to get the new suspension on my car.

Question: is the bushing that Zeus and xRougex are talking about the same bushing that would be replaced by the Perrin PSRS, or are you talking about the big bushing that's mounted between the frame and control arm?

Sorry if that sounds like a totaly newb question, I just haven't had time to look at my Evo's front suspension in any detail yet. That'll happen when I install the new springs, struts, and bushings.

l8r)
Old Jul 25, 2009 | 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

I just got my control arms back. I will be posting pictures of the bushings installed, and then them installed in the car.

Im paying some one to put the rear mustache bar bushing in... I cant do it on the ground and still keep my sanity.

Later today pics will be up.
Old Jul 25, 2009 | 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

^ Excellent thanks. I plan to add the RCK and rear trailing arm bushings but I'm not sure I need anything else as the car doesn't really suffer from any odd behavior.

Quick Reply: Whiteline vs. Energy suspension bushings - thoughts?