Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Rear caliper bolts STRIPPED help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2009 | 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Unhappy Rear caliper bolts STRIPPED help

So Im in the process of redoing all my wheel bearings/hubs and the rear calipers bolts stripped when I was using a Allen wrench. Does anybody know the correct size for this wrench and how to go about fixing this issue. Im trying to get these done before Wensday and the car is my DD. Thanks.
Old Jun 22, 2009 | 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

What exactly are you referring to on the rear caliper? I cannot think of any allen head bolts on it. Did you strip the head or the bolt and the threads? If you did the latter, you are probably screwed. Clarify what you mean and I or someone else will be able to answer better.
Old Jun 22, 2009 | 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Protostar1
What exactly are you referring to on the rear caliper? I cannot think of any allen head bolts on it. Did you strip the head or the bolt and the threads? If you did the latter, you are probably screwed. Clarify what you mean and I or someone else will be able to answer better.
Here is a pic of the bolts that stripped:

I think its the bolt latter??
Old Jun 22, 2009 | 04:46 PM
Account Disabled

you dont have to take those off to take the calipers off lol.
Old Jun 22, 2009 | 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Trader Vic CT9A
you dont have to take those off to take the calipers off lol.
What!!!??? Really Thats how I got the front ones off...what do you have to do take out the brake pads then the caliper will come right off?
Old Jun 22, 2009 | 06:42 PM
chu
Evolved Member

There are two 17mm bolts holding the calipers to the hub. Have you never done brakes before. Next time, get some help if you're unsure.
Old Jun 22, 2009 | 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

No, do not take those out, I believe that will separate the entire caliper. There is one large bolt (18mm?) that removes the caliper from the spindle. If you cannot figure out how to remove the pads you have no business taking any part of the car apart. I do not mean offense by that but you likely stripped the bolts holding the caliper together thinking they were the pad rods.

If you do choose to ignore me and continue to disassemble your car, there are two metal rods that, with a punch, can be hammer out towards the center of the car to allow you to remove the sprung metal clip and the pads.
Old Jun 23, 2009 | 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Protostar1
No, do not take those out, I believe that will separate the entire caliper. There is one large bolt (18mm?) that removes the caliper from the spindle. If you cannot figure out how to remove the pads you have no business taking any part of the car apart. I do not mean offense by that but you likely stripped the bolts holding the caliper together thinking they were the pad rods.

If you do choose to ignore me and continue to disassemble your car, there are two metal rods that, with a punch, can be hammer out towards the center of the car to allow you to remove the sprung metal clip and the pads.
Awesome, yes this is my first time doing anything w/the brakes since I had the car. I unbolted the bolts on the rear of the caliper and they came right off. Thanks again
Old Jun 23, 2009 | 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AngryEvo8
Awesome, yes this is my first time doing anything w/the brakes since I had the car. I unbolted the bolts on the rear of the caliper and they came right off. Thanks again
Please be careful and properly repair anything you may have damaged! Good luck and look up stuff you dont know how to do, this is a great resource.
Old Jun 23, 2009 | 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

To the OP: I'm looking to replace my bearings on my 2003 Evo too...where did you get them and how much were they? PM me if you prefer...

Thanks!
Old Jun 23, 2009 | 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

LOL woooooooooow!
Old Jun 23, 2009 | 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

From: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Oh, the pain in this thread.
Old Jun 23, 2009 | 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Be nice guys...
Old Jun 23, 2009 | 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

You might want to keep an eye on your front calipers if you took them apart that way. Make sure they aren't going to separate under braking pressure from insufficient torque when putting them back together. At the minimum I would get new bolts and re-torque everything.

I don't think they have any internal fluid passages from one side to the other so, you should be OK there.

Last edited by hotrod2448; Jun 23, 2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2009 | 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

There's a video on how to do brake pad changes on an STI. It's the same process for Evos.

Quick Reply: Rear caliper bolts STRIPPED help