Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Whiteline Tie Rod Issue

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2009, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whiteline Tie Rod Issue

Over the past few days I've been noticing a rattling sound coming from my front right suspension. Yesterday I took the wheel off and thoroughly checked every nut and bolt down to the chassis braces, examined bushings for play, and couldn't find the culprit. The very last thing I checked was the bolt at the top of the tie rod end that holds it into the spindle arm. To my surprise it was loose! I attempted to tighten it down, but unfortunately the threads were stripped.

So the bottom line is this: I have springs on my car and have the whiteline roll center correction kit installed to correct the front geometry. The ball joints are completely fine. I've tried to get ahold of just a piece of this kit in the past without having to buy an entirely new kit and was told I had to buy the whole kit. I don't want to spend $200 for a tie rod end...

So, I still have my stock tie rod ends.The shop that removed them before did so without seemingly damaging them. The dust boots are in good shape, the threads are good, and they feel fine in their range of motion.

My question is this: can I use the stock tie rod ends safely with the whiteline ball joints still installed? Will I experience suspension binding or something dangerous like that if I do? What are the handling ramifications if I do this? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Shadowpriest; Jul 4, 2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 11:45 PM

G'day,

Sorry to take so long to chime in but we only just learnt of this post.

We're not happy to hear that you might have an issue but we'll do what we can to resolve as quickly as possible. Can you tell me who you purchased the kit from and how long ago? Let me know and we'll do what we can to work out a solution.

In answer to your qeustion on fitting stock tie rods with the Whiteline ROCK ball joints the answer is a no. That is, both the tie rods and the ball joints have been modified specifially to deliver a particulalry geometric outcome and are designed to work in concert.

Using stock tie rods will alter the bump steer cureve which will deliver some unpredictable behaviour. I think the main thing is to try to resolve your current issue so let us know some answers to above and we'll do what we can.

Cheers
Whiteline Jim
www.whiteline.com.au
Old Jul 23, 2009, 08:08 PM

Bump to make sure everyones OK on this

Shadowpriest, is it all resolved for you?

Cheers
Whiteline Jim
www.whiteline.com.au