Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

"Spongy brake pedal first 20%" need to bleed Brake Master Cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2009, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Spongy brake pedal first 20%" need to bleed Brake Master Cylinder?

I've wondered this for a long time now, and I've searched everywhere. Is it possible to bleed the brake master cylinder on the evo? The reason I wonder this is after bleeding the brake lines on multiple occasions multiple times i still end up with a "spongy" brake pedal for the first 20% of the pedal. Not sure if this is caused by cold ferodo ds2500's... or just because i was "bedding" them in. it seems to firm up as you increase the pressure on the brake pedal past 20%...

The closest thing i've found about bleeding the master cylinder is this, which seems to require us to disconnect the lines... this seems counter-productive to me:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...-cylinder.html

any insight out there?
Old Jul 7, 2009, 07:19 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You probably need new brake fluids by now! Get yourself some knowledgeable help if you've never done it before. A motive bleeder would be best for a one man job. Get a good fluid, and new pads would bring the brakes back to life!
Old Jul 7, 2009, 07:26 PM

Location: Killeen, Tx via Fayetteville, NC via Worthington, OH
Most brake issues can be fixed with a proper bedding session.

For some great info, check out this link. He has forgotten more about brakes than we have used them.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/technical.htm
Old Jul 8, 2009, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by chu
You probably need new brake fluids by now!
first bleeding session was done with ATE blue. that's when I first noticed there was a bit of "travel"/spongyness when the brake pedal is depressed from 0-20%. Just flushed with motul rbf660 this past weekend. After bleeding them and bedding them in, I felt that the travel had actually increased slightly compared to when i flushed/bled with ATE blue. (about 9 months ago)

Is this a symptom of air in the lines? the pedal doesn't drop to the floor or anything, in fact it is firm after the 0-20% of travel/"spongyness".
Old Jul 8, 2009, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Upgrade to stainless lines and she'll feel like a brick from pretty much up top. I have a motive bleeder and that thing works amazing, clutch and brakes taken care of in about 1hr
Old Jul 8, 2009, 05:45 AM
chu
Evolved Member

How did you go about with the bleeding process? Did you do the bleeding sequence correctly? and doing both bleeder valves on each caliper? If you did the two man method, did the pedal pumper ever let go of the pedal while a valve was opened? Did you us a line to lead the fluid out, and made sure there were no bubbles inside the line? Was each caliper bled fully with no signs of the old fluid? Did to tightened the bleeder valve just enough? These are all simple questions, and may make you sound stupid, but people forget all the time. I would by new fluids and flush the entire system again. Before doing so, make sure all of the brakes lines are tight. I did ATE 4 moths ago, doing braided lines at the same time and have had zero issues. Good Luck.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

It sounds like something was wrong with your bleeding process.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 06:57 AM

re:

Originally Posted by chu
How did you go about with the bleeding process?
basically followed this guide to bleed: http://www.joe250.com/cars/evo8/brak...ebleeding.html. they were bled in the correct order. both bleeders per caliper. two-man bleeding process, i was pumping the brakes - didn't let go until the valve was tightned. we used a line out every time we bled. there was a bunch of air bleeding the front two brakes from the previous flush... that might explain the spongy feeling from the ATE flush...

will try to bleed them again and see if there is any difference.... so i take it there's no reason to bleed the brake master cylinder then?
Old Jul 8, 2009, 07:06 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Did you make sure the fluid in the reservoir did not get too low to let air in the system? Its important to continue refilling the reservoir as you're bleeding.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by chu
Did you make sure the fluid in the reservoir did not get too low to let air in the system?
fluid was checked and refilled to max after every caliper.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 07:15 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Man, now I'm beat!!!
Old Jul 8, 2009, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

How do the rotors look? If you try to match new pads to really worn rotors it will take some time to get a good match between them.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
How do the rotors look?
new 2-piece slotted giro-disc rotors.

so if there's no master brake cylinder that needs to be bled, then i'm guessing there's some air in the lines somewhere that we didn't get out.... i'll try to rebleed them.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree, sounds like air.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Try to get the ABS activated a few times before you bleed them again.

Quick Reply: "Spongy brake pedal first 20%" need to bleed Brake Master Cylinder?