Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Continental ContiExtremeContact

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2003, 11:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No problem. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask
Old Oct 14, 2003, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spike - what are you going with for winter tires?? We're both in the midwest, so I'm curious.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by boomn29
Spike - what are you going with for winter tires?? We're both in the midwest, so I'm curious.
If I am going to give up handling, I want something serious in return, and to me that means very good ice/snow traction. The reviews of the Contis kind of told me what I suspected, they probably aren't really good at anything, just "acceptable" at most everything.

In light of this, I'm going with true winter tires - either Michelin Pilot Alpines or Pirelli 210/240s - for my stock wheels. I wanted the Dunlop M3 Wintersports, but they aren't available yet. The Alpines or the 210s will be better than Contis in light snow and slippery conditions, and I'm prepared to deal with the handling issues when they are on - just like I'd have to with the Contis - yet I get much better true winter weather traction with the Alpines or 210s than the Contis.

Sam's Club has good prices on the Pilot Alpines and the purchase is easy. Request them online, they shoot you an email when they arrive at your local store, then you go up and get them mounted. I will almost certainly do that in another 2 or 3 weeks.

If Sams can't get the Alpines for some reason I will order the Pirellis online, probably from Tire Rack, and get a local shop to mount them on my stock wheels.

I expect/hope to have a set of 17x9s by February, they will get ultra sticky Nittos or Yokos, and will become my primary wheels. The stock 17x8s will come off then and go back on next November, they become my permanent winter wheels.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are the summer Nittos going to run?
Old Oct 15, 2003, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

I am hoping they come out with the 555r2 in an EVO size at some point... the 555r2 version is *extremely* sticky, and not really marketed as a street use tire due to it's stickiness, but guys use them on the Fbody and they would utterly ROCK on the EVO. If I could figure out a way to the 555r2 275/40r17 under the fenders of an EVO I'd do it!! might look kinda funny though!

otherwise I will have to go with the plain jane 555 Nitto for the EVO probably in one of the 255 sizes for 17x9 wheels. Nittos are always bargain priced, I have not gotten prices yet, but $150 will surely get you one in a 255/17 size - this is CONSIDERABLY cheaper than a replacement Yoko Advan... and likely the extra width of 255s on 17x9s will hold at least as good as the stock Yoko on 17x8s, hopefully better.

I'm sure we will have lots of tire reviews in the spring next year. Holding off on a purchase till we get those reviews might be your best plan to get the right tire at the best price.

I've had excellent luck with Nittos, and they are cheap, so I am probably going to put them on the EVO in the spring regardless of other tire reviews... I'll post a review a couple of weeks after doing so, hopefully it will be good news.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Neal quick question about these tires? I've got them install and my wheels balanced a week ago and I absolutly love these tires for their price. But the question is concerning tire pressure. Is it recommeded by you and or the tirerack.com to keep the OEM Spec tires pressure on these tires being that they are stock sized 235/45-17 ?
Old Oct 21, 2003, 11:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Good to hear you like the Extreme!! It would be best to stay with the stock tire pressure as a starting point. You can tune it from there, but at a minimum stay with stock
Old Oct 23, 2003, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

My Extremes are sitting at the local Discount Tire waitng for a cheap set of wheels with the proper offset/backspacing. They are expecting the wheels early next week. Fingers crossed that they arrive soon because Chicagoland might be experiencing light snow next week.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 01:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Bogie
Chicagoland might be experiencing light snow next week.
AHH dont say that!
Old Oct 23, 2003, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

People looking at the Conti Extreme's should also check out the Falken 512's.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 08:39 PM

For what its worth, try playing with the tire pressure a bit on the Continentals, perhaps lower PSIs. Some folks over inflate them trying to compensate for a softer sidewall, but it only creates squirrely handling that you may be reading as too much push. Over-inflation also exacerbates the braking disparity between the two types of tires. More likely what your feeling is the difference in braking when you delay brake going into a fast turn. It's not that the car is understeering appreciably more -- you just may be going into the turns hotter. Running a bit lower PSIs should improve the dry traction a bit on the Continentals and shorten up your stopping distances. If that doesn't suit you, the fix is only an airhose away.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by Willyd
Hi, I installed a set of the extremes also. Was wondering how many miles you have put on them. Mine seemed to get a bit better as they aged in to the second hundred miles. We have also had a few cold mornings, high 30s, and there was little or no change in the bite of the tires. If you haven't seasoned them yet would recommend you give them a little more time. You are definately right about not being Advans, but I can't see them as a huge step down in handling.
Now that I've put about 300 miles on the Conti's, they seem to have developed better handling characteristics (or maybe I'm just getting accustomed to them). I've intentionally been pushing them in corners around town and they seem to have lost some of the "squirm" that I first felt. If it helps anyone else in a tire buying decision, all I can say is that I'm now happy with the Extreme and would plunk my cash down for them again.
Old Oct 25, 2003, 06:56 AM
Former Sponsor

The tire is handling better because the mold release has worn off or is almost all gone. This is like a cooking spray that is put on the mold when the tire is manufactured. It helps keep the tire from sticking to the mold when its finished. The release agent will stay on a tire for the first 300-500 miles before wearing off. This is true for any tire that is new.

Also, remember that more rotations within the first 10K miles of a tires life is always best. We recommend that every 2K miles for the first 10K. From there, your standard rotation schedule will be fine. If you wait until the first 7K to rotate them, the damage is already done.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

what kinda pressure are you guys putting on Contiextremesports??

I just put those on and feel that the tire wall is way too soft and causing lots of rolling. Lost sharp handling from stock Yoko. It is really scary and kinda disappointed.