Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Any feedback on R1 Concepts drilled / slotted rotors?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2003 | 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

mayhem, an excellent read, good call.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:
from Jon A:
Yeah Pat, there are a few reasons that Porsche rotors are the exception to the rule:

1) The holes are cast in giving a dense boundary layer-type crystalline grain structure around the hole at the microscopic level as opposed to drilling which cuts holes in the existing grain pattern leaving open endgrains, etc, just begging for cracks.

2) The holes are only 1/2 the diameter of the holes in most drilled rotors. This reduces the stress concentration factor due to hole interaction which is a function (not linear) of hole diameters and the distance between them.

3) Since the holes are only 1/2 as big they remove only 1/4 as much surface area and mass from the rotor faces as a larger hole.

That's why Porsche rotors are the only "crossdrilled" rotors I would ever consider putting on my car.

BTW, the last time I saw a car at a PCA event with cracked rotors...it was a Ferrari. They use standard Brembo rotors drilled "the easy way."
Old Oct 14, 2003 | 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

(raises hand) I'm the one responsible for that.

Matt (aka MaddMatt on Altimas.net)
Old Oct 14, 2003 | 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Maddmatt

(raises hand) I'm the one responsible for that.

Matt (aka MaddMatt on Altimas.net)
What's your handle on CC.com?
Old Oct 15, 2003 | 07:53 PM

If they are quality, I think they will be a nice addition to the car. I have Stillen crossdrilled on my mx6 turbo and have no problems. Ther have been on for two years and I autocross this car all summer long and have done a couple track days (very hard on brakes). The rotors and the pads together have made my stopping power way better. I have not had any problems with my stock evo set yet but I wont be racing it on the track for quite a while. I will wait to see how all the new parts perform with others first.
Old Oct 16, 2003 | 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by HKSMX6GT
If they are quality, I think they will be a nice addition to the car. I have Stillen crossdrilled on my mx6 turbo and have no problems. Ther have been on for two years and I autocross this car all summer long and have done a couple track days (very hard on brakes). The rotors and the pads together have made my stopping power way better. I have not had any problems with my stock evo set yet but I wont be racing it on the track for quite a while. I will wait to see how all the new parts perform with others first.
Are you still using stock sized rotors?
Did you read my previous posts?
Old Oct 16, 2003 | 07:40 AM

They are still stock sized rotors.
I read a little of the link and did not see it going anywhere, what was the big secret that I missed?
Old Oct 20, 2003 | 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by HKSMX6GT
They are still stock sized rotors.
I read a little of the link and did not see it going anywhere, what was the big secret that I missed?
I'm not going to explain, just finish reading the link I've provided and learn the difference between someone trying to make a buck and a real performance upgrade.