Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Any feedback on R1 Concepts drilled / slotted rotors?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2003 | 11:28 PM

Any feedback on R1 Concepts drilled / slotted rotors?

$254 for all four corners...
Old Oct 10, 2003 | 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Are they stock sizes ??
Old Oct 10, 2003 | 11:39 PM

Yes, direct OE replacement, see below:

Description:

Cross-drilled and slotted rotors give the maximum braking for performance cars under all necessary braking conditions. Precision machined holes or slots on the rotors will allow hot gases from brake pad to escape quickly to prevent skidding or locking up. It also provided quick responds to improved faster stopping power and enhancing the look of your car. Each rotor is also zinc plated to prevent rusting and is made of the best quality metals. Cross drilled and slotted patterns are precisely CNC machined for perfect fit to OEM specs for use with OEM calipers and wheels so no other upgrades is needed.
Old Oct 11, 2003 | 07:31 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Website?
Old Oct 11, 2003 | 07:41 AM

http://www.r1concepts.com <-- not much there

Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2436379988
Old Oct 12, 2003 | 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

The cross drilled/slotted brake argument has been around for years in the DSM world. If it is stock size, I would definitely not do them. the only way I would go with drilled or slotted rotors would be if I was upgrading, and they only made them in that pattern. I like the flat faced rotors. More surface area. Sure the drilled might let the gasses escape quicker, but they are also ridiculously hars on your brake pads. it's like a cheese grater. You think brake dust is bad now? On, and since they are stock size, they probably use the stock calipers, right? Brembo pads are not cheap and they don't last long on the flat rotors in the first place.

I think this is more for looks and a false sense of performance than anything else.

Just my $0.02.

Josh
Old Oct 12, 2003 | 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Oh, and prevent skidding or lockup? That is called what happens when friction is so great that the brakes actually do what they are supposed to do.........stop the wheels from turning.

Lockup will be stopped by the ABS system.

Josh
Old Oct 12, 2003 | 07:44 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Holy damn, that's cheap! $219 for F&R rotors? Slotted and drilled!
Old Oct 12, 2003 | 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

That is dirt cheap... FWIW if you think cross drilling and slots all just about looks I would have to ask why do so many high end cars have them? After I put a set of Brembo cd/s rotors on my 3g eclipse and had nothing but trouble. It seems like you pay your money and take your chances. If someone gets a set of these rotors would you post what you think or them.
Old Oct 12, 2003 | 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by WildRice
That is dirt cheap... FWIW if you think cross drilling and slots all just about looks I would have to ask why do so many high end cars have them? After I put a set of Brembo cd/s rotors on my 3g eclipse and had nothing but trouble. It seems like you pay your money and take your chances. If someone gets a set of these rotors would you post what you think or them.
Purpose built brake kits might be fine. Brembo has a drilled rotor AND caliper upgrade package for many cars.........Probably works fine. AEM has the same.....So do many other companies.

What I think is rice is the "OEM fit" rotors which are probably just OEM rotors that have been drilled out, then zinc plated to make pretty. These are about as useful as universal mufflers. Buyer beware.

Josh
Old Oct 13, 2003 | 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Josh is right. These rotors will also likely crack/warp more easily than stock. The holes and slots are additional stress points. A real cross-drilled rotor is built to be just that, a real rotor, not some standard flat rotor that joe shmoe decided to take a Dremel to.

There are advantages to having these, but mostly just for track use and under extremely tough braking situations. If you are still running the stock brake fluid you have no need to upgrade anything else brake-wise yet IMO.
Old Oct 13, 2003 | 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

wouldn't waste my money on those...

you'd probably not be happy with them for very long...
Old Oct 13, 2003 | 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

READ!
http://www.corner-carvers.com/forum...t=rotors+nissan

Read all of this link and the link listed in it. It's long but educational and worth it. Pay attention to 'Cobra'.
Old Oct 13, 2003 | 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by mayhem
READ!
http://www.corner-carvers.com/forum...t=rotors+nissan

Read all of this link and the link listed in it. It's long but educational and worth it. Pay attention to 'Cobra'.
your link doesn't work, probably because you cut and pasted it from a forum. Can you repost with a working link? Thanks
Old Oct 13, 2003 | 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

try this:
http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums...=rotors+nissan
There's a lot of fluff and crap in there but buried in it is a lot of very good info.
I did copy it from a post I made on another forum. Never thought that would happen.