Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2009, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I should have added that I have about 50% wear at this point.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by tmiller
Check this tire test from the Tirerack: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=118
What I didn't like about that tire test is their conclusions on the tires... not very descriptive (especially given their pros and cons for each tire), it seems like you could interchange the conclusions between the four tires and not know that they had been changed.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

I have these tires as my autocross tires and love them. Like others have said they are noisy at highway speeds. Here is a link of a comparo that Car and Driver did for affordable summer tires. Guess who won?

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests
Old Aug 11, 2009, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
^ Someone already mentioned this test in this thread.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 02:31 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Chemwarrior
Here is a link of a comparo that Car and Driver did for affordable summer tires. Guess who won?

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests
I'm actually thinking of trying the Hankook Evos that finished second in the test. They're almost 3lbs lighter per corner than the Z-1s.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
I'm actually thinking of trying the Hankook Evos that finished second in the test. They're almost 3lbs lighter per corner than the Z-1s.
Guess which tire is gonna have a softer side wall?
Old Aug 11, 2009, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
^ Someone already mentioned this test in this thread.
I know that, but I figured I would post the link so they could read it for themself. Thanks though.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 06:08 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by revvin9k
Guess which tire is gonna have a softer side wall?
You certainly have a point. I try, but I'm hardly the best driver around. Every time I've reduced rotational mass, I was able to corner quicker and smoother almost solely due to the way the car felt and the confidence it inspired. The car felt amazing after dropping 30lb via wheels and rotors. I'd be lying if I said that losing another ~12lbs at the tire didn't juice my lizard to the extreme.

On an interesting note, the car pulled abnormally high numbers on STM's MD, given its mods or their lack thereof. Em (at STM) thinks that it was partially due to relatively low rotational mass.

Getting back to tires, I'd really like to know more about the Hankooks. I'm sure the Z-1s are fantastic tires. I'd just hate to think it's the only option in this price range for the cornering sort, especially when significant benefits can be had by reducing the tires' weight.

Last edited by FJF; Aug 11, 2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 02:54 AM
Evolved Member

Agreed on the Hankooks - I'll have to keep my eye out for reviews/testimonials. Sorry for not posting the link earlier - I actually <gasp> get the magazine and was too lazy to dig it up online.

*edit - one thing to note is that one of the drivers during the C&D test has a pretty good background in racing/testing. That said, he is likely to feel minute differences better than 99% of the people out there. I think the numbers speak for themselves as the Hankooks hung next to the Z1s, if not surpassed them, in most of the tests.

Last edited by yahu; Aug 12, 2009 at 02:56 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 02:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Had tirerack not had a deal not to be ignored on the RE01Rs i would have went with the Z1 star specs...
Old Aug 12, 2009, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
Had tirerack not had a deal not to be ignored on the RE01Rs i would have went with the Z1 star specs...
Same here. However the RE01R tire has turned out to have a personality all its own and I like it. Crusing around town they feel like I bought a $50 Walmart tire. Push them, expecially if the pavement is warm, and they suddenly become the OEM tire except no noise. It is a sweet combination. Too bad they are gone.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

yea I'd like to find out more about the Hankook RS-3's. I would just worry that weak sidewalls cause the car to be harder to control especially for a car as heavy that 60% of the weight up front.

The tires i'd like to try are the AD-08. I think if I researched them a little more I might of got them over the Z1's. The AD-08's are supposed to have a stronger than the AD-07's and actually come in our stock size. The AD-08's weight 25 lbs in our stock size, where the Z1's weight 27 lbs.

Problem is the Yoko's cost ~ $60 more per tire. Thing is the AD-08's seem to grip at the same or very close to the Z1's. So it the sidewalls are as strong they should provide better feed back since they are 2 lbs lighter. Don't get me wrong the Z1's rock! especially for the price. I have them and they are very responsive and stick super well. They are not as responsive as the 046's but what are. They are light years better than the RT-615 in grip, rain performance, and responsiveness.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

star spec

I just pt these on my 05' evo8 gsr with stock rims but got them in the 255-40-17 size. I believe the extra width and shorter sidewall make a bid difference in handling. Absolutely no rubbing or lock to lock interference and I have Tanabe gf210 springs. I should have gone to this size on the last set of tires. Don't be a spend thrift to just same $30 a tire. Think about the cost per month to see that a better tire is worth it.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:32 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll be cool. I use to have these tires. They're pretty good for daily driving. Me rickey long time!
And just like everyone says, yes they're loud!! :x
Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
dont go with the S.Drives! i wish i would have bought the Z1's but i will next time for sure!!!