Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

A wobble in the steering wheels L@@K Please help.NOT balancing related!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2009, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys. 4th day in the shop. Ron replaced the rotors Friday and no improvements. I will update everyone as things are done. I truly appreciate all of the posts. Rick
Old Aug 31, 2009, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Had the same kinda of issue on my old Integra. Turned out to be an axle after I replaced almost everything else.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

I too am curious to find out what is causing the shimmy through the steering column, I think many people are pointing in the right direction on what the issue can be.

http://www.2carpros.com/first_things...celeration.htm

Last edited by Smoothgangsta; Sep 2, 2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

my vote is the wheel bearing. had the same issue in my jeep, also called 'the death wobble'.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

is there any update to this? i am having the same problem and it bothers the crap outta me. I dont have a lot of money at the moment to replace one thing, only to find out its something else. thanks

i know its not the tires for sure, just got them brand new 245/40/18 bfgoodrich g force super sport all season on 18x9 Rota SVN, wheels arent new though. the wobble/shake was happening even before i put the new tires on. Got an alignment done also with the new tires. everything was done at Tire Discounters, also filled with nitrogen.
However, I did hit a curb a few months back that bent my rear driver side rim, but i did replace that rim with a new one.

p.s. i didnt wanna start another thread either.

HELP ME!

Last edited by jluckyp; Nov 24, 2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 07:20 AM

[QUOTE=jayree41;7452765]Mine does the same thing at the same speeds right after I had a exedy twin disc put in I went back to my local shop. And they were telling me that it was my tires and that the rotors were warped I changed the rims and tires and same thing. Haven't done the brakes yet but did notice that when I changed position of rotors to match where they are hitting the pads while rotating it got better. I'm hoping that its the high spot in the rotor hitting the pad on opposite sides causing it to pull the wheel side to side. I'll let you know what happens after redoing the brakes. Keep us posted it seems this is a problem many others are having and is driving me crazy.[/QUOTE

UPDATE: ended up being a combination of tires/wheels and rotors. Replaced all of them one at a time and the steering feel WAS perfect UNTILL I put in a EXEDY HD twin plate clutch in last week (had a shop do the install). Now it's back on again off again vibrations at 65-80mph. Arggg! I am due for a tire rotation so I will try that today. Maybe I threw a weight? if not then it's off to the tire shop to check balancing. I will update later today. Thanks for all of the posts. Much appreciated. Cheers, Rick.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 06:11 AM

Is there any difference in the onset of the vibration when the car is cold vs. after being on the road for a bit?
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

No difference for me. it starts right around 70mph.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JordanS4
I have the same issue pretty much, happened right after a shop put ARP wheel studs on for me. Starts shaking around 65 or so and goes away with a bit less or more speed. Have had all my wheels balanced and they are good. Bump for help...
My issue went away with getting new tires and balancing, and has slowly come back over the past couple thousand miles since it was solved with balancing.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 08:39 PM
Former Sponsor

HUB 50+% of the time...if a shop has removed your axels and rolled the car around without clamping the wheel hub with an axle end or a 1" bolt washes and nut they can easily damage the hub.