Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

A wobble in the steering wheels L@@K Please help.NOT balancing related!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2009, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A wobble in the steering wheels L@@K Please help.NOT balancing related!!!!!!!

Hello fellas,

New to the Evo scene but not new to high hp. I have a slight wiggle in the steering wheel from 65mph-80mph and the kicker that is stumping me and the local car shops is that it will do it (wiggle) for 4-5 seconds and then it is gone for the same amount of time! I checked the tire balance and every one is perfect. Also I have a second set of tires/wheels that came with the car as well and my MR does the same thing with those as well! The 1st set is stock 17" and the second set mentioned are 18". Both sets are in new condition. No grinding (wheel bearing). Does not pulsate the brakes when hitting them hard (unless I am in the 4-5 second that the wheel is wiggling) Any ideas/help is very much appreciated in advance, Rick
Old Aug 24, 2009, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
weird, check your bushing's ?
Old Aug 24, 2009, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same issue pretty much, happened right after a shop put ARP wheel studs on for me. Starts shaking around 65 or so and goes away with a bit less or more speed. Have had all my wheels balanced and they are good. Bump for help...

Last edited by JordanS4; Nov 30, 2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Could be a bad axle... This isn't the exact sitation but we've had cars that when you accelerate on the highway you'll feel the wobble, and when you lift to shift or just lift in general, the wobble goes away.

If you have any friends with Evo's I'd suggest taking an eveing and swapping axles with them and give that a try.

One thing is certain though, if the wobble is only in the steering wheel and not through-out the car then it's defiantly front drivetrain/suspension related.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
flat spots on the tires? my kumhos do that when the car sits for an extended length of time. a 20 min drive on the freeway fixes that though.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
tierod ends.

just fixed this problem.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I know you switched wheels an all but still the most likely cause for this complaint is the wheels being out of balance. Were both sets of wheels balanced at the same shop?
Old Aug 25, 2009, 05:58 AM

Thanks for the ideas and keep them coming. I am bringing the beast to RS MOTORS in Burnsville Minnesota. The owner Ron is going to personally do the work. So far the rod ends are at the top of my list. Thanks again, Rick
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:15 AM

Well the beast is at RS MOTORS in Burnsville MN. The owner Ron has accepted my challenge and will be personally taking the front end apart piece by piece to find the issue. Rick
Old Aug 28, 2009, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Well, let us know what he finds. Too many times strange problems come up, we try to come up with answers, the owner gets it fixed, but we never hear what he/she found. Every bit of info adds to the knowledge pool.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 02:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a similar issue, ended up being the wheel bearing even though it wasn't making much noise to begin with. If your replacing the tie rods ends you might as well go this route and do the ball joints at the same time if you are lowered:

http://www.maperformance.com/whiteli...t-kit-evo.html

Also, we're in Plymouth swing by and say hello sometime
Old Aug 29, 2009, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
I had a similar issue, ended up being the wheel bearing even though it wasn't making much noise to begin with. If your replacing the tie rods ends you might as well go this route and do the ball joints at the same time if you are lowered:

http://www.maperformance.com/whiteli...t-kit-evo.html

Also, we're in Plymouth swing by and say hello sometime
This kit is amazing..
Old Aug 29, 2009, 04:23 PM

I'll agree with the balance as being a possible culprit. I had the exact same problem, steering wheel shake on and off between 65 and 80. These were on Gram Lights, 18x9.5 with brand new RE-01r tires. I took it to three different shops to balance them, and finally with a road force balance the shake went away.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Deathevn
I'll agree with the balance as being a possible culprit. I had the exact same problem, steering wheel shake on and off between 65 and 80. These were on Gram Lights, 18x9.5 with brand new RE-01r tires. I took it to three different shops to balance them, and finally with a road force balance the shake went away.
I'm not going to say it isn't something else. I've been wrong enough times on this forum. I hope the OP gives us a report. However, he reports that it comes and goes and in the past when that has happened to me it always turned out to be balance.

Even matched tires are not going to be exactly the same diameter. That, or you go around a curve and the tires don't travel the same distance. So, you have the heavy spots on the wheels going in and out of synchronization and the shake comes and goes. You need the higher speed to feel it because the wheels are close to being in balance.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 05:37 AM

Mine does the same thing at the same speeds right after I had a exedy twin disc put in I went back to my local shop. And they were telling me that it was my tires and that the rotors were warped I changed the rims and tires and same thing. Haven't done the brakes yet but did notice that when I changed position of rotors to match where they are hitting the pads while rotating it got better. I'm hoping that its the high spot in the rotor hitting the pad on opposite sides causing it to pull the wheel side to side. I'll let you know what happens after redoing the brakes. Keep us posted it seems this is a problem many others are having and is driving me crazy.

Quick Reply: A wobble in the steering wheels L@@K Please help.NOT balancing related!!!!!!!